Joinmyband Headaches

What's Hot

Comments

• PennPenn Frets: 620
    edited November 2023
    Rkphilpot said:
    Rocker said:
    Is there a music shop in your part of the country that might put you in contact with other like minded musicians?
    Yeah and one of them hosts jam nights so I'll try that.

sev112 said:
    Through JMB I’ve met people that have become really good friends

My previous drummer, it took us two years to find him but he's a great friend now. I look up to him in a way.
    Is he very tall? Normally you look down on the drummer as they play sitting. 

Edit - when you start making dad jokes it’s time to get out more. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Penn said:
    Rkphilpot said:
    Rocker said:
    Is there a music shop in your part of the country that might put you in contact with other like minded musicians?

sev112 said:

My previous drummer, it took us two years to find him but he's a great friend now. I look up to him in a way.

No, he's just of a different class...

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    I like the ads saying bass and drums seek singer, guitarist and keys for xyz. We’ve got the studio, pa and set list'! 
    How can you have a set list without most of the band?
    You do have to kiss a lot of frogs. Open mic and jam nights get you among some working musicians, although there are still lots of bedroom stars about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 146
    edited December 2023
    So a bit of an update to my previous posts here. I’d never heard of bandmix prior to reading this thread. So I joined up and made a couple of contacts. Had what I thought was a very decent first jam with a couple of guys (keys and bass both decent singers). They had sent me a list of a dozen or so songs, only a couple I actually had played before. All seemed well on the night and they commented several times on how great my guitar sounded. (This was extended when my pickup battery went flat and I borrowed the keyboard players guitar) As it essentially looked like a 3 piece acoustic set up I pretty much kept things simple. 

Here’s the set they sent me:

Black Man Ray China Crisis  … you tube (live version) 

Here comes the rain again Dave stewart & daryl hall you tube  (live version) 

Another cup of coffee  Mike & the mechanics (original key)

Shattered dreams/ turn back the clock   Johnny hates jazz acoustic version 

Drives me crazy  roland gift FYC ( in G )  

Do it again     Steely dan original key 

& she was    Talking heads original key 

All of my heart ABC original key

Fire (the one I love)  Rem  original key 

Aint no sunshine Bill withers  in A

Weather with you Crowded house original key

Now none of these are songs I would particularly choose but pretty much learnt the chords and basic structures of these over a week prior to playing with them.

Got this text this morning:

We are having a rethink about the whole project . I really liked your rhythm playing technique but when the songs needs lead guitar , due to my lack of keyboard skills we are needing a different playing style from the guitar , more country / blues approach combining rhythm n lead  . Hope this makes sense . Felt better to let you know via call rather than text but i know your busy . Thanks for coming over & hopefully catch up with you in the new year for a beer

Amazed at the blues/country hybrid comment. I played 2 bits of lead through the night one on improv on do it again (nailed it by their comments) and weather with you (note for note as per the record)

The rest of the set is not the territory for anything like that style of play. Wish they’d just said they thought I was crap  

• One thing you didn’t mention was whether these guys already knew each other or had been in a previous band together?
  • Penn said:
    Rkphilpot said:
    Rocker said:

sev112 said:

No, he's just of a different class...

I know my place . That’s a fave saying of mine although most people wouldn’t understand it nowadays lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_G said:
    So a bit of an update to my previous posts here. I’d never heard of bandmix prior to reading this thread. So I joined up and made a couple of contacts. Had what I thought was a very decent first jam with a couple of guys (keys and bass both decent singers). They had sent me a list of a dozen or so songs, only a couple I actually had played before. All seemed well on the night and they commented several times on how great my guitar sounded. (This was extended when my pickup battery went flat and I borrowed the keyboard players guitar) As it essentially looked like a 3 piece acoustic set up I pretty much kept things simple. 

Here’s the set they sent me:

Black Man Ray China Crisis  … you tube (live version) 

Here comes the rain again Dave stewart & daryl hall you tube  (live version) 

Another cup of coffee  Mike & the mechanics (original key)

Shattered dreams/ turn back the clock   Johnny hates jazz acoustic version 

Drives me crazy  roland gift FYC ( in G )  

Do it again     Steely dan original key 

& she was    Talking heads original key 

All of my heart ABC original key

Fire (the one I love)  Rem  original key 

Aint no sunshine Bill withers  in A

Weather with you Crowded house original key

Now none of these are songs I would particularly choose but pretty much learnt the chords and basic structures of these over a week prior to playing with them.

We are having a rethink about the whole project . I really liked your rhythm playing technique but when the songs needs lead guitar , due to my lack of keyboard skills we are needing a different playing style from the guitar , more country / blues approach combining rhythm n lead  . Hope this makes sense . Felt better to let you know via call rather than text but i know your busy . Thanks for coming over & hopefully catch up with you in the new year for a beer

Amazed at the blues/country hybrid comment. I played 2 bits of lead through the night one on improv on do it again (nailed it by their comments) and weather with you (note for note as per the record)

The rest of the set is not the territory for anything like that style of play. Wish they’d just said they thought I was crap  

Man that sucks like you say you learned the songs in a manner fitting for the circumstances 
    the least they could do was give you the option of adapting your versions , the very fact you turned up having learned all the songs  especially with one being a Steely Dan song . They could at least give you two or three more sessions and a chance to come up with arrangements . It’s not like you’re a pro session player who can come up with arrangements on the spot  it takes time to work things out  well it would for me 
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    edited December 2023
    I'm honestly so despondent with it now. I have had two people bail a few hours before the studio, two not show up and endless who start messaging, seem super keen and then just don't answer me when I try to pin them down to a date for a jam. 
    I just don't know what's wrong with people. Why is it so hard just to say "sorry I've had a change of heart"? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited December 2023
    Don't take it personally, have been through similar - meeting people in the pub, listening to tales of when they were on tour with vaguely famous people back in the 70s, only to have them vanish when it came to actually turning up to play. Or people just disappearing off the radar with no reason given. 

Keep at it - eventually you will likely find people on your wavelength - have had a few good bands and made long term friends from projects started on that site. 

• I like to talk on the phone first, to weed out people who obviously won't fit in (and to suss out if they are confident about their playing). Then meet in person for a longer chat. I don't want to set up a studio session until I'm confident I like them and think the others in the band will too. 

The playing is usaully the easiest bit.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Open_G said:

We are having a rethink about the whole project . I really liked your rhythm playing technique but when the songs needs lead guitar , due to my lack of keyboard skills we are needing a different playing style from the guitar , more country / blues approach combining rhythm n lead  . Hope this makes sense . Felt better to let you know via call rather than text but i know YOUR busy . Thanks for coming over & hopefully catch up with you in the new year for a beer

You dodged a bullet. 
    They deserved bullets for that.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited December 2023
    Musicians are without question the flakiest people on the planet and trying to pin them down to do ANYTHING tends to be a royal pain in the arse. 

A lot of them see it as a feature, not a bug but Jesus Christ it makes life annoying for no reason. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    Three separate ads in the Wiltshire section of JMB today…

Mature guitarist needed for blues/rock band

Marure bassist needed for blues/rock band 

Mature singer needed for blues/rock band

Admit it - you’re probably a mature drummer who’d quite like to join a blues/rock band eh?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    HAL9000 said:
    Three separate ads in the Wiltshire section of JMB today…

Mature guitarist needed for blues/rock band

Marure bassist needed for blues/rock band 

Mature singer needed for blues/rock band

Admit it - you’re probably a mature drummer who’d quite like to join a blues/rock band eh?
    Ooh I like a bit of Samantha Fish.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Went to audition a band this week, they were going to be doing pro/semi pro functions and festivals etc…
    I was given 4 songs to perform with a decent spectrum of styles and a 20 min slot. I turned up early because it was a long drive to find the drummer I had been messaged by, a guitarist (they were the ‘band’) and a singer. No keys or bass. No other applicants had turned up! I set up my minimalist gear and prepped to go at it only to find singer haddent been given the same 4 songs or indeed anything in advance. Next drummer dons headphones and offers ear sponges!!! This is in a small rehearsal studio. Well it turns out all he can play is a rock beat very loudly with zero dynamics. The guitarist could play but did nothing that indicated he would be useful. Singer was quite good. No one turned up for an hour so singer and I bashed through stuff we could together while the guitarist noodled and the drummer looked lost and eventually took to his screen.
    Eventually they said someone else is coming so I took The opportunity to pack up and bid farewell, I did meet a lady vocalist in the doorway as I was leaving although what they could do with her I dread to think.
    None of these people were young or inexperienced but where do all these flakes come from?
    I’ve said it before, you have to kiss a lot of frogs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 139
    edited January 25
    I met up with some lovely guys who wanted a bassist playing alt-rock in the style of "B-side" by "Artist" which sounded low key and more interesting than the guys who wanted to sound like Artist's hits. Unfortunately what they meant is "we cover B-side by Artist" and the rest of their material is nothing else like it. Drummer plays what he wants as long as it isn't the same thing twice.

No pedal tuners.

They're all nice enough and I've gone back a few times now but don't think it's for me.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374

No pedal tuners.

Instant deal breaker right there, I'd be back in the car without playing a note
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 139
    mike257 said:

No pedal tuners.

Let me increase your trepidation by adding: Rickenbacker 12 string. 
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162

When you say  “no pedal tuners “ do you mean they’d got  no pedal tuners  & we’re using headstock ones ?  Or  you disapprove of pedal tuners.

Ive got both  a headstock TC electronic. & a Boss TU 3 pedal . The headstock one is easier for met to see but looks annoying  my TU 3 is harder to see  but is not liable to be affected by sonic vibrations from the PA  .   I like those big  strobe tuners (bigger than a rack ) Albert Lee had one once when I saw him at a clinic 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162

mike257 said:

No pedal tuners.

Let me increase your trepidation by adding: Rickenbacker 12 string. 
    Damn , should have done some songs by The Byrds