More powerful 5E3?

What's Hot

Comments

• You should try my badcat with the band mate. Insane volume on tap if needs be but a great MV all in a combo package.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You should try my badcat with the band mate. Insane volume on tap if needs be but a great MV all in a combo package.
    I know, that's a lovely amp...need to move the Pro Jnr and Hook R20 on, should be ready for the weekend
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • The Wienbrock was a good suggestion thank you. Need to spend a bit more time with it, but loving it so far.
    https://youtu.be/1gR1nRW4hN4?si=QDMCjqpX7sTtQIR4
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    ^I almost bought this Wienbrock but thought 30w would be too loud for home use ... this video confirms it! It sounds ace though.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7906
    A video is a bad way to buy an amp in my experience. What sounds fab on video can sound very different in person. 

I sold one of my all time favourite ever amps to buy latest greatest boutique blackface amp. My outgoing amp was great, super dynamic, touch sensitive, just about perfect. 

Boutique amp sounded great, but was compressed to hell, zero dynamics, zero fun to play. I hated it with a passion. I lost an awesome amp to GAS. 

Let you one ears be your buying guide, not someone else’s tweaked YouTube video 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a note to say I don’t tweak the audio in these clips(not that anyone is saying I do). Filmed with a Sony AZ1 action cam. I mix the audio from its stereo condenser mics with the audio from my Zoom H6 stereo condenser mics all onto a free movie maker. No EQ or effects added.
       Although when I record an actual clip of me just playing guitar and singing a song I sometimes add a little slap back to the vocals.
      Yeah, the Wienbrock is loud, but quite small for a 30w and can turn down for home use. Great little amp.
    Just a note to say I don’t tweak the audio in these clips(not that anyone is saying I do). Filmed with a Sony AZ1 action cam. I mix the audio from its stereo condenser mics with the audio from my Zoom H6 stereo condenser mics all onto a free movie maker. No EQ or effects added.
       Although when I record an actual clip of me just playing guitar and singing a song I sometimes add a little slap back to the vocals.
      Yeah, the Wienbrock is loud, but quite small for a 30w and can turn down for home use. Great little amp.
    I didn’t say you did that, just a general YouTube observation. A YouTube video is no substitute for your own ears. 

I personally like amps that reward pick dynamics, pick light, lovely, whack the strings and it’s a physical as well as an aural experience. Windows feel like they’ll pop out of the frames. Probably why I like powerful valve amps with big transformers. That experience doesn’t come across in YouTube videos. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Wienbrock was a good suggestion thank you. Need to spend a bit more time with it, but loving it so far.
    Sounds great. I enjoyed listening to the playing too.
    Sounds great. I enjoyed listening to the playing too.
    Thanks, it’s a lovely amp, quite raw, old school R&R. Problem is now I have too many amps.
       Really connecting with the Dr Z Maz 18 at the moment, may have to have a clear out after Christmas.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    TheMarlin said:
    A video is a bad way to buy an amp in my experience. What sounds fab on video can sound very different in person. 

I sold one of my all time favourite ever amps to buy latest greatest boutique blackface amp. My outgoing amp was great, super dynamic, touch sensitive, just about perfect. 

Boutique amp sounded great, but was compressed to hell, zero dynamics, zero fun to play. I hated it with a passion. I lost an awesome amp to GAS. 

What were they?  =)
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 180
    Yes, we do play a little loud...
    https://youtu.be/UZBvLN5qMDM?si=4lEge1cCi5h8mSSt

rze99 said:

my 5e3 (head and cab) is laid enough for my band which can get pretty load on some tracks.

Tweaking it to be louder could change the character in ways you don't want

You could consider a powered monitor.  Get a used mic+powerd PA speaker - Mic it up >into powered monitor adjust placement and volume to suit the venue
    Yeah, I did think about that.
    I love the little amp for what it is and would just like to find a 'bigger brother' :3
    proper old school that there :sunglasses: 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I'm in the very early days, so pinch of salt required, but I just got a Fryette powerstation PS-2a. It's turned my Victoria 5112 1x12 5ish watt amp into a 50watt beast, I'm running an extra cab too.

If you live your amp but want 'more' could be worth a look!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 866
    Last year I sold my Boss TAE, great piece of kit, re-amps and sounds uncannily the exact same, just louder or quieter.
       Thing is, I want to keep it as simple as possible.
       Putting the 5e3 through my 2x12 cab gives a reasonable boost, but the Wienbrock Gringo was also a good shout…brilliant amps.
    edited March 3
    Dave_Mc said:
    TheMarlin said:

What were they? 
    I sold an Omega Amps modded Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, plus matching modded 1x12, both with different Eminence speaker, the combination of which was a glorious sound. 
    Pick dynamics were incredible, pick lightly, clean, dig in, blackface breakup, but with such force the windows seemed the might pop out of their frames. It was a percussive, physical and aural. 
    I adored that amp. 

Then my head was turned by one of the handwired limited run Tone King Imperials.  So I sold the Omega (once owned by Jimiriquai guitarist apparently) and bought the Imperial. 

It did beautifully blackface tones, rich cleans, but sounded compressed and flat as a pancake at practice volumes compared to the Omega, and I moved it on.  

The Omega modded HRD was epic. And even though I have fabulous amps today that do that percussive thing, I miss it a lot. One of my biggest gear sale regrets. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5782
    TheMarlin said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    TheMarlin said:

What were they? 
    I sold an Omega Amps modded Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, plus matching modded 1x12, both with different Eminence speaker, the combination of which was a glorious sound. 
    Pick dynamics were incredible, pick lightly, clean, dig in, blackface breakup, but with such force the windows seemed the might pop out of their frames. It was a percussive, physical and aural. 
    I adored that amp. 

Then my head was turned by one of the handwired limited run Tone King Imperials.  So I sold the Omega (once owned by Jimiriquai guitarist apparently) and bought the Imperial. 

It did beautifully blackface tones, rich cleans, but sounded compressed and flat as a pancake at practice volumes compared to the Omega, and I moved it on.  

The Omega modded HRD was epic. And even though I have fabulous amps today that do that percussive thing, I miss it a lot. One of my biggest gear sale regrets. 
    And it was green. I feel like that’s an important detail ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 296
    Just going by the clip of the band in action I would suggest.....

https://hiwatt.org/images/PetesRig.jpg
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 866
    snowblind said:
    Just going by the clip of the band in action I would suggest.....

https://hiwatt.org/images/PetesRig.jpg
    My back is not what it used to be =)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    I'm in the very early days, so pinch of salt required, but I just got a Fryette powerstation PS-2a. It's turned my Victoria 5112 1x12 5ish watt amp into a 50watt beast, I'm running an extra cab too.

If you live your amp but want 'more' could be worth a look!
    That's a really interesting concept that I haven't heard of. How does the PS make it louder? Maybe start a thread. I'd be intrigued re. your findings.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    When the HT-5 had been around for a couple of years I began to read moans such as "good amp but not quite enough clean power"...Hello? The clue is in the name! Freakin' FIVE!
    Then I had the idea of a 60W or so, very clean sstate amp module that sat in the back of the combo and took the speaker signal and pushed it through the existing 10" (then) speaker which was rated at 40 watts (the speaker was 16R so you would need 60+ watts to make it really sing)

Then Blackstar developed their practically bomb proof class D amps. One of the ID 100Wmodules would do nicely!

Never got past back of envelope stage..Big C intervened.

Dave.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3596
    edited March 5
    This is interesting. I saw Wayne Krantz years ago playing a 70's strat through a tweed deluxe. The rhythm section was Tim Lefebvre and Keith Carlock, neither of whom is known for being quite. Krantz was clearly audible, with a pretty clean sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom