More powerful 5E3?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    ecc83 said:
    Interesting, by "quietest" do you mean a really good signal to noise ration or a wimp?

Dave.
    Both to be fair. It's very well made, but isn't much more powerful than your average 15w valve combo, whatever cab I plug it into. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    Tweed Super Amp. This is the one in between the Tweed Deluxe and Bassman. Just the amp you’re looking for!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4169
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

The EL84/6V6 have half the anode dissipation at 12W of the EL34 and so in FB should comfortably push out ~25W and at 10% THD nearer 30W making such a configuration easily loud enough for almost any pub gig.
    So, where are these 25/30W 2X EL84 amps? Has anyone tried and just found them nasty or very unreliable?
    Mesa claimed 30W from 2xEL84 in the F-30 using their patented ‘Dyna Watt’ circuit, but I measured one and got 22W as the true clean power. It wasn’t an amp I liked the sound of cranked up, all mids and very strident. I don’t think they were unreliable though, I never saw one for repair at all.
    They may have rowed back on that slightly, claiming 25W from two EL84s in my Mini Rec. Not sure how similar the circuit is mind. 
  • Onlly way to do it is to get a Fryette and use it to boost the amp's volume.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 853
    I ended up buying a Wienbrock Gringo. Hell of an amp. Basic, but rocks  in a proper old school style. I’d be interested to see how much better a Lazy J20 or any other can be it this particular field.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Onlly way to do it is to get a Fryette and use it to boost the amp's volume.
    Not the only way, but probably the simplest.

If you wanted you could build a ‘double 5E3’ with four 6V6s which would sound the same but with twice the power. To make it exactly the same you could even use two output transformers, although you would then need a 4-ohm speaker, if you didn’t want to make it a 2x12”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein