Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss IR-2

What's Hot

Comments

• Quick question for those more technically aware than me.

For live use, could this output to a splitter box?  One output going to the desk for FOH and the other to a powered FRFR/power amp & speaker?
    From a quick look at the manual I can't see a problem with sending both Outs to different places. What I think you can't do is have separate settings (well, it says this in the manual) per Out. So, you couldn't, for example, have amp+IR on one output and amp only on the other. Very happy to be proven wrong though. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick question for those more technically aware than me.

For live use, could this output to a splitter box?  One output going to the desk for FOH and the other to a powered FRFR/power amp & speaker?
    You can only turn the cab on or off globally, not per output. Therefore your options are:
    • Guitar -> Pedals -> IR-2 with amp and cab on
      -> Output L to PA
      -> Output R to FRFR
    • Guitar -> Pedals -> IR-2 with amp on, cab off
      -> Output L to something with an IR -> PA
      -> Output R to power amp and guitar cab
    So should you treat this like an amp, and put effects pedals before it, or in the loop?
    Both? Gains and pitch stuff out in front, delay and reverb in the loop. Same as you'd use an amp with an FX Loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @EricTheWeary and @onlyatom ;

The plan isn't to use the two outputs from the pedal, as I understand this is stereo out.

A single output from the pedal into a splitter.  Splitter to PA and then to FRFR.  Amp and cab sim left on.

Likely to be clicking the button on one of these later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11903
    edited December 2023
    I've slept on it now and still want it, as it is ACTUALLY useful, and not a pedal / tool that I have.  Something that allow me to use my entire pedalboard through headphones, regular headphones, with cabsim....it unlocks my entire board....plus, FX loop, battery powered !!!!

Yes please, I can just plug and out of my boards of my choosing without having to fiddle with power supply.

I just can't think of a downside...it's affordable, it is useful, it has all the core sets of features i wanted in a pedal, GREAT size, Boss reliability.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm tempted by this for practice, but not for live use. My problem is that I hate wearing headphones.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2304

Looks like a superb well-thought out tool in an easy to use small format without the need for screwing around with menus and programming. Well done Boss!

It's £179 

I don't need it as I can use my (excellent) Yamaha TH100 HD head for back-pack only events (it's one-finger lift light) and that has better features and the ability to blend two channels which mirrors my two amp set-up.  
    rze99 said:

Looks like a superb well-thought out tool in an easy to use small format without the need for screwing around with menus and programming. Well done Boss!

It's £179 

I don't need it as I can use my (excellent) Yamaha TH100 HD head for back-pack only events (it's one-finger lift light) and that has better features and the ability to blend two channels which mirrors my two amp set-up.  
    Technically....I could do the same with my Spark Mini, which is also battery powered, but I just like how this fits on a board...

I think it gives me the impetus to rewire this board now with that at the end. 

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7832

I have the Simplifier for making my Katana sound a little more valve ampy (and some amp captures in the Beebo, Swart and Morgan are my favourites ) but might pick one of these up to try too at some point.

Not necessarily because I need one, but because I'm just about out of musical things to buy.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2304
    rze99 said:

It's £179 

Technically....I could do the same with my Spark Mini, which is also battery powered, but I just like how this fits on a board...

I was initially non-plussed... I saw your pic and was looking at our board thinking that was a small tweed amp with recessed speaker grill. Doh.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you use it to record into Reaper, as I do with a HX Stomp? 
  • Can you use it to record into Reaper, as I do with a HX Stomp? 

Yes. You can set the USB to act as an audio interface.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2791
    I can’t see these for sale anywhere ?  Any links ?
  • rze99 said:

It's £179 

I love that "if they'd had pedals in 50s, the pedalboards would've looked like this" pedalboard! The relicing is really convincing. DIY or bought at great expense?

I love that "if they'd had pedals in 50s, the pedalboards would've looked like this" pedalboard! The relicing is really convincing. DIY or bought at great expense?
    I got it like 10 years ago from the infamous Salvage Customs (long story short, the owner took on loads of orders than he could handle and didn't keep up with his promised schedule, with delays and some people may have even lost money).  I got lucky and ordered them before he was over his head.  Now and again he makes a one off to sell without Built to Order and this was one of them.  I forgot how much...i think back of my mind it was like £200?
  • sev112 said:
    I can’t see these for sale anywhere ?  Any links ?
    Pre order only at the moment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6182
    Is it a sub-set of the IR-200? Or does it have something extra?

(I don't need such a small pedal.)
    goldtop said:

USB-C and battery powered…but not sure about sims and stuff.  The IR200 looks like can do more.

but also £140 extra, and for simplicity I love this one, the price is just so attractive.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    goldtop said:

USB-C and battery powered…but not sure about sims and stuff.  The IR200 looks like can do more.

but also £140 extra, and for simplicity I love this one, the price is just so attractive.

I think this is where it wins for me. It is simple. And has twisty dial things and is small and compact. 90% of my electric playing is through headphones and I can set up a little board in a bag and then just pull it out, plug in one plug and away we go. I am really thinking hard of ways to get this (big car related bills coming in) but I have been thinking about a replacement for the Line 6 POD 2 and as I don't need effects and need compact and easy, quick to set up interfaces as I hate messing about with cables and menus this is very likely going to be my new permanent solution.

I hope my Tokai sells fairly quickly.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2333
    Pre-ordered it from andertons..
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22237
    edited December 2023

A question:

-Mono/stereo loop for patching in mod, delay, and reverb effects after the amp emulation

Is this post-cab or pre-cab?

EDIT: Given that it's got Amp & Cabinet on the front of the ruddy pedal, I am going to assume that the effects loop is post-amp and pre-cab :)