Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss IR-2

What's Hot

Comments

• JAYJO said:
    Mine too. I'm hoping it'll play nice with the Redsound speaker I've so far failed to get anything to sound nice through. (Mainly due to me have no idea what I'm doing!!)
       oooooooooooh      First Dibbs!      Paypal f&f ?
    Hmmmmm .... and short supply =£250  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Would the IR-2 work as a regular pedal into the front of an amp? I have Roland JC22 and would like to use this pedel to get a load of differnet gain sounds? 
    I guess the answer is yes, but not seen any refrence to it being used like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Would the IR-2 work as a regular pedal into the front of an amp? I have Roland JC22 and would like to use this pedel to get a load of differnet gain sounds? 
    I guess the answer is yes, but not seen any refrence to it being used like that. 

Not really as you'd be running a preamp into the preamp of an amp and the EQ would get really weird. The best thing to do with it when running it through an amp is to take the pedal output to the FX return of your amp, bypassing the AMP and running the volume from the pedal. As long as you turn of the IR in the pedal, you'd be able to get a bunch of different amp sounds. Essentially, the pedal would end up being the control panel of your amp instead of the one on your actual amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Not really as you'd be running a preamp into the preamp of an amp and the EQ would get really weird. The best thing to do with it when running it through an amp is to take the pedal output to the FX return of your amp, bypassing the AMP and running the volume from the pedal. As long as you turn of the IR in the pedal, you'd be able to get a bunch of different amp sounds. Essentially, the pedal would end up being the control panel of your amp instead of the one on your actual amp.
    Thank you for explaining that. 
    It will do what I want albeit in a different way. Into the JC22's FX return. and turn off the pedal's IR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    The best thing to do with it when running it through an amp is to take the pedal output to the FX return of your amp, bypassing the AMP and running the volume from the pedal. As long as you turn of the IR in the pedal, you'd be able to get a bunch of different amp sounds. Essentially, the pedal would end up being the control panel of your amp instead of the one on your actual amp.

Thanks for that.
    Bollocks.
    Now I want one!
  • Shame the UK seems to be out of stock...
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 287
    Received today, and with about an hour of noodling with headphones I'm quite impressed. I've not had much experience with professional-level modellers, but it's sounds about the same or better than my old Yamaha THR10II, my Spark Mini, my Victory amp pedal with Two Notes modelling, or the one time I've used a CaptorX. Again, headphones only. 

Im chuffed. This will enable a fun little headphone-based stereo board. 

I wasn't able to connect it to my iPhone and GarageBand unfortunately. Not sure why, even after I changed the settings to the iOS driver. Has anyone had luck with connecting to an iOS device yet? (iPhone 14 Pro - Apple usb-c to lighting cable)
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    edited December 2023
    Would the IR-2 work as a regular pedal into the front of an amp? I have Roland JC22 and would like to use this pedel to get a load of differnet gain sounds? 
    According to the manual you can also configure it to run in the front of a JC120, so I'd assume that would also work for the JC22

JC-120 INPUT:

Use this setting when connecting to the guitar input of a JC-120 guitar amp.

Specifying the amp to connect (roland.com)
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited December 2023
    Thanks, I've just been reading the manual and found the very same info. Clearly Boss have done some thinking about this. Very impressive.
    Yeah I'm sure it will work just fine with my little JC22

Page 9
    https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/IR-2_eng01_W.pdf
  • Very interested to see how this compares to Helix amp/cab sims. I basically only use mine for that and I'm wondering if I can save some pedal board space and get a different FX unit. Probably not worth it given how good the Stomp is, but curiosity being what it is...
  • Forgive my ignorance, but would this work plugged straight in to a speaker cabinet?
  • Forgive my ignorance, but would this work plugged straight in to a speaker cabinet?
     No, you’d need a power amp  
    Into a frfr speaker, same as other modellers. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    edited December 2023

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Well, I’ve got one on pre-order. I like the simplicity. Twist a few knobs and away you go. Plus if I want to dive deeper, there are a few options to tweak.

Into a frfr speaker, same as other modellers. 

As I understand it this is modelling amps or amps plus mic'd speakers (IRs). To make the most of it you need to plug into a fairly neutral sounding 'make louder' device like headphones, recording desk, PA or power amp plus FRFR speakers. 
    If the make louder device you already have is a power amp and a guitar cab then using the IRs isn't likely to sound great so you would use it to model amps only. 
    If your make louder device is a guitar combo/stack then typically you would use the Boss in the FX loop as an amp model only. So, if you have a Peavey Bandit this will sound like the different amp models but into the speaker of a Peavey Bandit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Does anyone here know if is possible to use the stereo TS outputs into one or two amps (with the appropriate amp-to-connect-to setting enabled) plus the USB-C to feed the desk / DAW with the IR enabled ?

Interested to find out if this is possible. Or is there another way to achieve amp output plus IR feed from the IR-2 ?

Manual says you can't have different settings on each TS..

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • maharg101 said:
    Does anyone here know if is possible to use the stereo TS outputs into one or two amps (with the appropriate amp-to-connect-to setting enabled) plus the USB-C to feed the desk / DAW with the IR enabled ?

Interested to find out if this is possible. Or is there another way to achieve amp output plus IR feed from the IR-2 ?

Manual says you can't have different settings on each TS..

You can't (unless they update the firmware at some point). The IRs are either on through both outputs or off through both outputs...there's no option for one with an IR and one without. It would have been super flexible to have that option though.
  • Thanks @vasselmeyer. I guess there's only so much they can cram into this pedal format :+1:  
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Just ordered one from Andertons, I wonder if they'll dispatch it in time for the holiday.