Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss IR-2

What's Hot

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited December 2023
    maharg101 said:
    Thanks @vasselmeyer. I guess there's only so much they can cram into this pedal format 1  

I'm assuming the code in the pedal is is some form of stripped-down code (and probably DSP) that Boss use in the GT-1000, GX-100 and IR-200 processors, and in those pedals there's a "divider" that splits the signal chain.

I would imagine that the functionality they have implemented in the IR-2 is either technically limited or deliberately limited.

If it's technically limited it entirely depends on the software and the hwardware. If you're running an IR then that takes more CPU cycles than not running an IR, so theoretically, when running an IR you could just route the pre-IR signal and send it to one output jack and then run the post-IR signal to the other. However, the software and hardware in the IR-2 could mean that if you drop in a divider that could just steal enough CPU cycles so you get audio glitches.

If they have deliberately limited it then it means they are trying to avoid  canibalising the sales of the processors I mentioned above and they've just limited the IR-2 to a non-split output.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    edited December 2023
    There's also a limit to what they can achieve in terms of scaling the available user interface controls. I mean, they're already into using the "turn all the knobs to max and hold down a button whilst turning the unit on" type tricks.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    goldtop said:
    Is it a sub-set of the IR-200? Or does it have something extra?

(I don't need such a small pedal.)
    USB-C and battery powered…but not sure about sims and stuff.  The IR200 looks like can do more.

but also £140 extra, and for simplicity I love this one, the price is just so attractive.

Wierdly, the IR-200 has a fewer and different set of amp models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    Does anyone know what happens to the Effects loop when the pedal is in bypass?   Does that get muted or would pedals in it  still work?
    Reason being that if you want to have this pedal on a permanent pedal board but wanted to be able to plug into an amp instead of a mixer would you need change all the cables over?  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Definitely interested in hearing what everyone thinks of theirs when they spend some time on them, especially how the clean or twin work with dirt pedals! May be joining a new cover band in the new year (if I pass the audition!) and it looks like their old guitarist went direct. Was going to just use my normal rig but considering I don't have a cab at the minute and this is cheaper than one, it makes sense! Maybe just the clean with drive pedals for ease of balancing levels live as I can see the shared controls being fiddly in that situation.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    So, you can't use it in front of a combo amp which doesn't have a Send/Return/Effects loop ?
  • sev112 said:
    So, you can't use it in front of a combo amp which doesn't have a Send/Return/Effects loop ?
    It’s not designed for that. You could try it, but it might sound like arse. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Specifying the amp to connect (roland.com) The manual suggests you can
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    It will probably sound better into flat amplification when the IRs are on, but the manual has options for different global EQ curves to adjust for various amps, including small combos and stacks etc. No reason you can't run it into the front if you like the sound of it on top of your amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I stand corrected, but I don’t understand why you’d get a pedal that is essentially designed to replace an amp then run it into an amp. Surely a regular drive pedal would work better for this purpose? Each to their own I guess..
  • sev112 said:
    Download the manual, it explains how to use the pedal into a regular amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    TTBZ said:
    Definitely interested in hearing what everyone thinks of theirs when they spend some time on them, especially how the clean or twin work with dirt pedals! May be joining a new cover band in the new year (if I pass the audition!) and it looks like their old guitarist went direct. Was going to just use my normal rig but considering I don't have a cab at the minute and this is cheaper than one, it makes sense! Maybe just the clean with drive pedals for ease of balancing levels live as I can see the shared controls being fiddly in that situation.
    absolutely overwhelmed by the design, here as always boss is the best. I hope this will inspire all the other brands ( Strymon please add an fx loop to the iridium)

now personally slightly underwhelmed by the amp models. I there is some harshness especially noticeable in the clean tones that cause me hear fatigue. Something i don't experience with the iridium or the hx stomp.

the reverbs are a great addition and sound very gig-able/ recordable.

This might just be the best backup solution also the higher gain options are very interesting and seem a step above the other ones. A shame I have no use for them yet.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    althy said:
    TTBZ said:
    absolutely overwhelmed by the design, here as always boss is the best. I hope this will inspire all the other brands ( Strymon please add an fx loop to the iridium)

now personally slightly underwhelmed by the amp models. I there is some harshness especially noticeable in the clean tones that cause me hear fatigue. Something i don't experience with the iridium or the hx stomp.

the reverbs are a great addition and sound very gig-able/ recordable.

This might just be the best backup solution also the higher gain options are very interesting and seem a step above the other ones. A shame I have no use for them yet.

I found the crunch amp model with the drive backed off gives a nice edge of breakup sound.

The clean amp isn't great. Not as nice as the bossgt1000 natural amp which was great.
  • If anyone is looking for one of these. Theres still
    no UK stock and mine is up in the classifieds now. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    If anyone is looking for one of these. Theres still
    How did you find it?
  • Kebabkid said:
    How did you find it?
    It’s really good but I’ve got to get a handle on my spending so having a ruthless clear out. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Kebabkid said:
    How did you find it?
    It’s really good but I’ve got to get a handle on my spending so having a ruthless clear out. 
    Fair enough and thanks
  • My IR-2 turned up yesterday, courtesy of Andertons via DPD.
    First impressions, using headphones it sounds great.
    Will require time and experimentation to dial in sounds with my JC-22, there are alot of variables to work through. 
    I'm primarily interested in the lower gain sounds it has to offer. It is showing alot of promise. 
  • Mine also landed yesterday.
    First experience with amp modelling apart from a brief go on a mates Kemper.
    Initial thoughts after 40 mins of a quick run through is it’s very impressive.
    Worked through the different models without changing the settings (everything at noon) and all seem to deliver the flavour they suggest.
  • I don’t understand what problem this pedal is supposed to solve…but I want one. I think someone at Boss has just discovered a recipe for GAS and put it in a pedal. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom