The Guitar Show 2024 - 2nd & 3rd March

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    uncledick said:
    Looking for a favour:  Just up from The Fretboard stand - either PJD or Rotosound looking at the guide, there was a black guy doing some great demos on a bass (Precision?).  I meant to go back and see what amp he was using as I loved the sound.  Forgot until I was half way home  :/  Could someone possibly advise?

#gutted to miss @guitars4you , I wanted to talk ME1s as it might be time for a re-shuffle in my collection.
    Looks like it was a GR ONE head on a GR cab…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    eSully said:
    Love to see some more pics from people that went. Was hoping to get there today but things came up. 
    These are the only others I took, Ivison’s stand, and the man himself before the show:

After that the place got busy
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406

uncledick said:
    Looking for a favour:  Just up from The Fretboard stand - either PJD or Rotosound looking at the guide, there was a black guy doing some great demos on a bass (Precision?).  I meant to go back and see what amp he was using as I loved the sound.  Forgot until I was half way home    Could someone possibly advise?

#gutted to miss @guitars4you , I wanted to talk ME1s as it might be time for a re-shuffle in my collection.
    Looks like it was a GR ONE head on a GR cab…
    That's the one.  Thanks
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited March 3
    Jason said:
    chor808 said:
    Sorry to check again but arriving after 10am should still find a parking space correct?

Enjoyed my visit on Saturday.
    Haven't been for a few years…the last time it was pre Covid in the previous venue. Got there just after 10 am, and easily parked across the road in the (?)Academy car park.

I went to the Live Stage to see the Neural DSP guy. His playing was decent enough, but he said very little about his usage of the Quad Cortex, which was disappointing. On the other hand, the Sound Engineer in the Room saw that I was interested in his rather fine Allen & Heath, and invited me to have a closer look, and demonstrated how it all worked. This bit of generosity really made the day for me.

Rather amusingly, I could not find the simplest of things for sale. I decided after one of our recent rare gigs, that I'd like a more substantial guitar stand (currently use a Cooperstand). Couldn't find a decent Hercules Stand for sale, though I got info off one of the exhibitors.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    Sporky said:

I like that poster. Can anyone get a proper photo of it please? 
    I've got the original artwork file if you want it @Sporky ;
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Had a good wonder r0und today, caught up with the FB lads @TTony etc...had a brainstorming session on 3D printing ;-)

All in all a good turn out, Plenty to look at and some interesting folks to talk to, and space to grab seat for 1o mins.

I didnt find it too loud at all this year, though quiet times were welcome of course.

Great job @Jason as usual. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6508
    Roland said:
    Had my ears probed by a nice man on the ACS stand with an interesting gadget. It’s too many years since I had moulds taken, and my Pro17 plugs don’t fit any longer. Last time it was done with quick setting plastic. This time it was (I think) ultrasound.

Miles Deakin at Custom Audio is that nice man:

That's very cool!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    Great event @Jason - of course!

Nowhere near as noisy as previous events have been.  Parking was easy enough (at 0930).  And venue was easier to get to without needing to get into the depths of Birmingham.  Seemed to be more exhibitors there, and fewer of the big stands that can take over a bit, so more variety.  All comments I overheard from public/exhibitors were completely positive.

Great to meet a lot of old familiar faces (I missed last year, so this was my first since pre Covid days) - though somehow everyone seemed just that little bit wiser.  Or older.

Didn't get to see any of the live stage stuff - but I was really there to help Lee out on our stand rather than be a visitor.  

Picked up a few impulse purchases, but nothing over £5k* so I'm still alive.  Managed to grab a copy of last year's ELEVEN as well as this year's, and to hear that maybe it's going to be bi-annual if time permits.  Good to have something different to read, and some proper quality photos too, and on real, old-school *paper*.    

*actually, nothing over £50!  But it's great to be able to see stuff, touch stuff, talk to the owners (etc) even of simple things like straps and capos rather than just buying everything unseen on-line.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Just out of interest did anybody look at the BGC stand with the small makers on there.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27156
    It's days like this that make me wish I was still in the UK! 

Did anyone get a good look at the @Tuffset bridge? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Just out of interest did anybody look at the BGC stand with the small makers on there.
    What was the BGC stand?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Boutique Guitar Company iirc, some nice workmanship but terrible design tbh 
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    What was the BGC stand?
    It was the BGC last year but I didn't exhibit this year and I want to gauge interest 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Boutique Guitar Company iirc, some nice workmanship but terrible design tbh 
    Can you expand on what was terrible 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    edited March 3
    Some interesting ideas but way too niche, maybe it’s the old fart in me but some were different for the sake of being different , The original Parker Fly was design genius, the original Steinberger was flawed but fascinating, if you are going to innovate then make it functional and aesthetically a good guitar 
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Some interesting ideas but way too niche, maybe it’s the old fart in me but some were different for the sake of being different , The original Parker Fly was design genius, the original Steinberger was flawed but fascinating, if you are going to innovate then make it functional and aesthetically a good guitar 
    I won't be there next year or ever again probably, I don't want to build the exact same stuff you can buy elsewhere, thanks for the feedback.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    Kalimna said:
    What was the BGC stand?
    Had a look. Wasn't impressed. Guitars were either somewhat bland, or trying too hard from my point of view.

Amps are always difficult to judge, because there's usually someone playing through them at hyperspeed nearly all the time.

Quite honestly, if there were pedals, I don't remember them, though I wasn't looking to increase my pedal collection at The Show.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    What was the BGC stand?
    Had a look. Wasn't impressed. Guitars were either somewhat bland, or trying too hard from my point of view.

I'm only interested in the opinions on the guitars, not sure what you mean by trying to hard, could you explain please.

This is interesting to me getting feedback, as a small maker I like the idea of this concept but not sure it works.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Nice to meet @digitalscream and @TTony again, and I'm looking forward to making up my pedalboard kit. It was a lot busier than either @OilCityPickups or I could recall from previous years. Yesterday was even busier according to @homeoftonejames (nice to chat BTW), so it must have been rammed. Hearty congratulations to @Jason for putting on a fantastic show.  
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Went on Saturday- did 4 of the live events. 
    Saw the 15 year old young lad (Will I think?) playing some bluesy stuff sponsored by Parker Fly, sound was ok and a decent version of “Bridge of Sighs” the Robin Trower track.
    Then Jack Gardner absolutely shredded through the Neural dsp for an impromptu 30 minute spot ( someone hadn’t turned up). Followed this with Digital John who was pretty impressive through neural dsp though a lot of tracks were pitch shifted ( one 13 steps down).
    went to the adventure in tone lecture but that really wasn’t my thing-sorry!.
    saw @Roland  and @guitars4you manning the stall but each time I passed , it was so busy I couldn’t introduce myself though mark yiu looked pretty much the same as the last time I saw you in 1984