The Guitar Show 2024 - 2nd & 3rd March

What's Hot

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    A bit surprised to be driving through about 2" of snow on the way up.  Good show and mad busy.  I tried and failed a few times to get near the live demo room but, when all said & done, I'm pleased that the scene seems to be on the up - even if there is a severe lack of gigs.  Keep on telling myself that I need some sort of HSS axe in my collection but I just can't get on with a centre pickup in the way.

Found out that I quite liked a Jazzmaster that happened to be sitting next to an amp.  Might do a bit of research on that. Couldn't decide if I liked the Telecoustic (or whatever it's called).  They seem quite pricey for what they are.

Thanks to everyone involved - roll on Bristol next month, always some interesting gear there... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7529
    Kalimna said:
    Guitar of the show for me - the Eggle '96 with cocobolo neck. Good lord it was nice. Also very impressed with the Shergold @ £350ish. Incredible guitar for the money.
    Going back tomorrow to hopefully try a few pedals - Hello Sailor in particular.
    Excellent show :)
    Was that the gold-ish HSS? I was also ogling it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1541
    TimmyO said:
    Kalimna said:
    Guitar of the show for me - the Eggle '96 with cocobolo neck. Good lord it was nice. Also very impressed with the Shergold @ £350ish. Incredible guitar for the money.
    Going back tomorrow to hopefully try a few pedals - Hello Sailor in particular.
    Excellent show :)
    Was that the gold-ish HSS? I was also ogling it 
    Yep, with the tortoiseshell pickguard. That's the one. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Went yesterday with @Rowby1 and really enjoyed it.

Best tones I heard were from a Engl Ironball SE, I think the guy playing it was from Guitar Interactive. He was a monster player but got some really nice clean and edge of breakup tones from the Ironball. Not what I expected from Engl at all.

Most impressive guitar I tried was a Les Paul junior from Karl Longbottom in a fetching shade of blue. Very nice.

Played a Japanese Pacifica. The Yamaha guy said they were going to retail at 2.4K and marked down the show to 1.9k! It seemed ok, but I think they will struggle to sell at £1900, at £2400, I think you would be bonkers to buy one. TBH, I love the idea of Japanese built guitars, but they didn’t seem much better than the standard range.

Also played a Revstar standard with P90’s. That seemed really nice and not as heavy as previous Revstars.

Good to meet @digitalscream on tFB stand. 

It looked like security had some issue at one point, they were checking toilets fairly urgently, so looked like something had happened. 

All in all it was a good day out. We called in for a coffee in the gym across the road, which was much better (and quicker) than the coffee in the venue. Really nice sandwiches too.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Lodious said:
    Went yesterday with @Rowby1 and really enjoyed it.

Best tones I heard were from a Engl Ironball SE, I think the guy playing it was from Guitar Interactive. He was a monster player but got some really nice clean and edge of breakup tones from the Ironball. Not what I expected from Engl at all.

Most impressive guitar I tried was a Les Paul junior from Karl Longbottom in a fetching shade of blue. Very nice.

Played a Japanese Pacifica. The Yamaha guy said they were going to retail at 2.4K and marked down the show to 1.9k! It seemed ok, but I think they will struggle to sell at £1900, at £2400, I think you would be bonkers to buy one. TBH, I love the idea of Japanese built guitars, but they didn’t seem much better than the standard range.

Also played a Revstar standard with P90’s. That seemed really nice and not as heavy as previous Revstars.

Good to meet @digitalscream on tFB stand. 

It looked like security had some issue at one point, they were checking toilets fairly urgently, so looked like something had happened. 

All in all it was a good day out. We called in for a coffee in the gym across the road, which was much better (and quicker) than the coffee in the venue. Really nice sandwiches too.
    That’s was probably the small child that wandered off. Found quite quickly 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    Sorry to check again but arriving after 10am should still find a parking space correct?

Can't wait to get there today....
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    chor808 said:
    Sorry to check again but arriving after 10am should still find a parking space correct?

Can't wait to get there today....
    Quieter today in terms of advance tickets. It’s usually a 60/40 over the weekend. Have an additional 3rd car park but all 3 filled up yesterday. Streets around the venue are free
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6907
    Had a great time yesterday at the show with my son. He got one of @digitalscream superb pedalboard kits and neck stand to help him on his guitar journey.

really enjoyed the Dave Simpson trio - an amazing All Along the Watchtower cover,  though the room was incredibly hot again - don’t they have any air con upstairs??

Enjoyed checking out the Neural Quad Cortex (nice interface, difficult to assess sounds as presets were typical over processed one seen on all modellers, and close back headphones aren’t the best monitors)

Nice to see the smaller UK makers (cabs, pickups, guitars, etc)

Volume was well controlled - well done @Guitar_Slinger !

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 269
    I went up yesterday with two guys from my band. I enjoyed the Faith stand, had a play with a Venus 12 string (next on my to-buy list), then a noodle on a Shergold Telstar and Masquerader (nice guitars, but the amps they had to use sadly weren't the best to show off their capabilities). Also had a play on a Quad Cortex, sounded alright but very quiet through headphones.

My main mission was to replace my Boss RC-20XL, and I succeeded, I now own a Boss RC-500. Was toying with a new wireless but want to do more research first. 

The snow on the way up was entertaining. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27650
    Someone needs to ask Lee what he just bought .....

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5283
    Lee, what did you just buy?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26710
    mgaw said:
    Lee, what did you just buy?
    Something that may inspire some comedy....
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28602
    Roland said:
    Pedal boards selling well

I like that poster. Can anyone get a proper photo of it please? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    edited March 3
    I had a successful purchasing visit, thanks to Mark @guitars4you fpr bringing down the Stunning PRS Mk1 Moden Eagle and the lads at Schecter for my new 24 widdle stick Reaper Sustainer equipped  bit of huge fun :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    Pedal boards selling well

I like that poster. Can anyone get a proper photo of it please? 
    On it 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Here you go @Sporky ;

3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28602
    Lovely - thank you. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Looking for a favour:  Just up from The Fretboard stand - either PJD or Rotosound looking at the guide, there was a black guy doing some great demos on a bass (Precision?).  I meant to go back and see what amp he was using as I loved the sound.  Forgot until I was half way home  :/  Could someone possibly advise?

#gutted to miss @guitars4you , I wanted to talk ME1s as it might be time for a re-shuffle in my collection.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    uncledick said:
    Looking for a favour:  Just up from The Fretboard stand - either PJD or Rotosound looking at the guide, there was a black guy doing some great demos on a bass (Precision?).  I meant to go back and see what amp he was using as I loved the sound.  Forgot until I was half way home  :/  Could someone possibly advise?

#gutted to miss @guitars4you , I wanted to talk ME1s as it might be time for a re-shuffle in my collection.
    Sorry I missed you today - My ears needed a rest after yesterday - Call me when you get 2 mins - best during the weekday - Easier to chat about such a process as against a 'war n peace' long set of questions and replies 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Love to see some more pics from people that went. Was hoping to get there today but things came up.