Metal recommendations

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    CHRISB50 said:
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Myth of I - S/T (Instrumental Prog Metal)
    Veronese - Unmagic (Brazilian Instrumental Fusion Prog Metal)

I quite like both of these at the moment. The guitar playing is off the charts. 

Also been enjoying Icon 30, the re-recording of Paradise Lost’s album. Loved it back in the day. Guitar tones / production on the re-recording are great. 
    weirdly I hated it back in the day but went to see them playing it a couple of months back and was surprised by how much I remember the songs. 
    Not heard the new version, but I've recorded with Gomez.
    I think it was the first 'proper metal' album I bought. Still have it on cassette somewhere.

I saw the video for Embers Fire on Headbanger's Ball back when my aunt used to record Beavis and Butthead for me (I think Headbanger's Ball was on just before, or just after B&B). 

A couple of mates went to the Shepherds Bush gig, but I couldn't go with them. Shame as I would have liked to see them.
    I discovered them on John Peel, and then saw them 3 times at least in 1990. Obviously there is a massive Trouble influence on Icon although the guitar sounds wasn't quite as good. They had moved from laney linebackers to marshall 9001 preamps for shades of god, but i think there was some low end missing in the sound. these days they use modellers live but last time I spoke to Aaron I think he said they used a sunn Model T and a 5150 in the studio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Myth of I - S/T (Instrumental Prog Metal)
    Veronese - Unmagic (Brazilian Instrumental Fusion Prog Metal)

I quite like both of these at the moment. The guitar playing is off the charts. 

Also been enjoying Icon 30, the re-recording of Paradise Lost’s album. Loved it back in the day. Guitar tones / production on the re-recording are great. 
    weirdly I hated it back in the day but went to see them playing it a couple of months back and was surprised by how much I remember the songs. 
    Not heard the new version, but I've recorded with Gomez.
    I think it was the first 'proper metal' album I bought. Still have it on cassette somewhere.

I saw the video for Embers Fire on Headbanger's Ball back when my aunt used to record Beavis and Butthead for me (I think Headbanger's Ball was on just before, or just after B&B). 

A couple of mates went to the Shepherds Bush gig, but I couldn't go with them. Shame as I would have liked to see them.
    I discovered them on John Peel, and then saw them 3 times at least in 1990. Obviously there is a massive Trouble influence on Icon although the guitar sounds wasn't quite as good. They had moved from laney linebackers to marshall 9001 preamps for shades of god, but i think there was some low end missing in the sound. these days they use modellers live but last time I spoke to Aaron I think he said they used a sunn Model T and a 5150 in the studio.
    Yeah I heard they use Kempers live now. My mate said they sounded pretty good. 

The sound on Icon 30 is great.

A few weeks back we spent an evening A/Bing the original vs the new version. 

Both sound great. I like the fact the instruments are clearer on the new version. But the original sounds more connected. If that makes sense.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Necrophagist were awesome 
      https://youtu.be/b9RJXWxth5g?si=URl5V7g4LhUCGGLE
  • Liking the new Blood Red Throne album, quality death metal.

Closer to the Op’s preference, is the album by Scottish band Sgaile called Traverse the Bealach, progressive post metal with excellent atmospheric parts. Try it @Hootsmon ;
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    edited February 15
    Just remembering that Hoots asked about proggy metal, there was a favourable review on the Sea of Tranquility channel yesterday for an Australian band called Taliesin.  I've never heard them, they could be terrible but seemed to fit the bill.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited February 15
    I love Cult of Luna. 

For me my favourite two albums are 'Salvation' and 'Somewhere along the highway'. 

Pure sleep inducing drone, repetitive riffs, long song times, yet the screamy vocals feel subdued. 

Sounds like an awful review but I love it. 

Some similar bands: 
    Fall of Efrafa - group of guys local to Brighton I think came together to create 3 albums known as the Warren of Snares, all based on Watership Down. They then disbanded once the job was done. 

Russian Circles 
    Pelican
    ISIS - the band lol. 
    We Lost The Sea
    The Ocean
    Neurosis

Similar kind but a lot less heavy instrumental band called Explosions in the sky are also great. 

I recently discovered Fit for an Autopsy.. 
    If you like heavy.. check this out.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    I know I've got it the wrong way round, but Cult Of Luna always struck me as a missing-the-point Rosetta tribute.

Though the one they fix with Julie Christmas was absolutely awesome. Mariner, I think. Like a sci-fi-horror film in music form. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."