tFB Merch! UPDATE: now with prices and card payments

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26718
    That looks very cool.  Are the bars 3-D printed as well?
    No, they're wood - specifically, this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/smooth-planed-square-edge-stripwood-l-2-4m-w-44mm-t-12mm/5059340109282_BQ.prd

Of course, any 45mm x 12mm strip wood will do. The idea is that you can make the board as big as you need, and when you inevitably get one pedal too many you can just spend another £8.97 on wood (if you don't have any left over) and expand it.

That said, I think it should be possible to print the slats too, they'd just need some reinforcement - which, if you're smart about it, you could do with metal straws from Amazon for the cheapest possible approach. I did do a design for one which would use M8 rods and bolt in from the ends, but the bill of materials would've put it at approaching used Pedaltrain prices to make it worth doing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • what supports the slats from underneath? Will they stand the test of time being trodden on? Is it screws or bolts? Or is there part of the printed structure on the underside too?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pedalboard ahoy! Just doing a bit of prototyping today, should be able to get a full board put together with cable management tomorrow (in theory).

They really do look better in person, my damn phone seems to love highlighting all the imperfections.

Assuming they're as rigid as I'm expecting, production will commence on Monday. These are somewhat more expensive to produce than the neck rests, so the kits (including all the screws, and cable management bits) will probably be £10 each. However, given that the point is to raise funds for the forum coffers, I'll probably have a deal in place for subscribers.
    That answers my question, I can see the printed structure creates a pocket for the slats to fit snugly into. Looks strong enough. The slat material will be the weakness and is the choice of the user.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4567

https://www.diy.com/departments/smooth-planed-square-edge-stripwood-l-2-4m-w-44mm-t-12mm/5059340109282_BQ.prd

Of course, any 45mm x 12mm strip wood will do. The idea is that you can make the board as big as you need, and when you inevitably get one pedal too many you can just spend another £8.97 on wood (if you don't have any left over) and expand it.

That said, I think it should be possible to print the slats too, they'd just need some reinforcement - which, if you're smart about it, you could do with metal straws from Amazon for the cheapest possible approach. I did do a design for one which would use M8 rods and bolt in from the ends, but the bill of materials would've put it at approaching used Pedaltrain prices to make it worth doing.
    Ah, right.

Only comment I'd make is that Velcro tends to come in 50 mm wide strips, which is going to overhang the bars.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Ah, right.

Only comment I'd make is that Velcro tends to come in 50 mm wide strips, which is going to overhang the bars.
    That did only occur to me later - the stuff I always used to use was 38mm Velcro, which is about £3/m on Amazon. However, I thought most folk went with the small pads of 3M Dual Lock these days?
    <space for hire>
    That answers my question, I can see the printed structure creates a pocket for the slats to fit snugly into. Looks strong enough. The slat material will be the weakness and is the choice of the user.
    It's actually slightly more than that - the provided screws for the ends (and the back piece in the middle) are 25mm whereas the wood is 12mm thick, and there are holes on the top and the bottom of the pockets for the screws to fit into. That way, the wooden pieces are braced from both sides, and will be more secure.
    <space for hire>
    Just getting the demo board ready...I'm no expert with painting and the like, but I rather like the way it's turned out :)

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, I forgot to answer this - I can stand on the board with my feet in the weakest part of the wood, and it doesn't even bend; it's as solid as any other board I've used, if using real wood. I'd imagine that something like MDF would be pretty weak, but that'd be a really daft choice for something like this anyway.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 27
    OK, having done all the sums, the prices will be:

Neck Rests:

Members - free
    Everyone Else - £5

Pedalboard Kits:

Subscribers - £5
    Members - £10
    Everyone Else: £15

@TTony may or may not approve.

Stock will be limited, there will be about 30 of each on the stand (I'll probably reserve 10 of each for Sunday if they turn out to be massively popular on the Saturday).

Also...cash only, no card payments. There's an outside chance we'll be able to take PayPal if I'm on the stand, but that might be a bit of a pain.

Let's hope this isn't a hilarious failure :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    Oh yea of little faith. At least refer to it as beta testing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    ^ Wow, I'll be there at 10am on saturday to get one!
    Hope you limit them to avoid the ebay scalpers ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Blimey - even the full-whack prices seem jolly affordable. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I'm hoping to get to the show on Saturday and with a bit of luck I'll be early enough to get a neck rest
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    Lee - I'll pay £5 for a neck rest - Don't think it should be free - I know I need one as my existing rest is well worn - Hope that is okay - Unless it is crap, it shouldn't be free 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    edited February 27
     Unless it is crap, it shouldn't be free 
    ^^^^^^^
    @digitalscream
    D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited February 27
    Lee - I'll pay £5 for a neck rest - Don't think it should be free - I know I need one as my existing rest is well worn - Hope that is okay - Unless it is crap, it shouldn't be free 
    Did @TTony put you up to that? D

Really, the neck rests are just to generate a bit of interest, and potentially get members into the idea of buying stuff - they won't be free forever. As @Roland said...it's kind of a beta test of the theory. If these things turn out to be popular, the proceeds from the boards may end up going towards another printer so I can design and produce more tFB stuff.
    <space for hire>
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    Sporky said:
    Blimey - even the full-whack prices seem jolly affordable. 

Agreed @sporky

If these were available to order for those not attending the show I’d happily pay the full price for the set plus postage. I think stuff like this has great potential for generating a bit of extra forum income. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2791
    I didn’t think enough of us go on long haul flights to merit neck rests, but who would have known ;)

look great , well done all involved 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    edited February 27 tFB Trader
    Did @TTony put you up to that? D

Really, the neck rests are just to generate a bit of interest, and potentially get members into the idea of buying stuff - they won't be free forever. As @Roland said...it's kind of a beta test of the theory. If these things turn out to be popular, the proceeds from the boards may end up going towards another printer so I can design and produce more tFB stuff.
    Okay but can I give you a fiver for one still and no Tony never said anything- but I do agree with him (for once)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    Too cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom