EV batteries. Well this is interesting..yikes

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• My bike only has 3 gallons of highly flammable liquid sitting atop a very hot piece of metal, Trundling along at 60mph, avoiding big square metal boxes driven by people happy to have an explosive pillow case bolted to their steering wheel.

There was me going to give up my bike for EV for safety reasons, but I think I will stick with what I know for the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    Bit of sensational news, but scary nonetheless.
    "Ferocious blaze as e-bike explodes at Sutton railway station"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-68744317

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Bit of sensational news, but scary nonetheless.
    "Ferocious blaze as e-bike explodes at Sutton railway station"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-68744317

Grim. Sutton *shudders*
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    99% of the problems are a direct result of shoddy batteries out of China. 

But Western so-called "economic rationalist" governments will insist to their dying day that "the market" is the one and only way to regulate anything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2269
    Electric cars would be great if the manufacturers could standardise a rapidly replaceable battery system so that you could just pull into an "Electric Station", pull out the nearly empty batteries, push in the new, fully charged batteries, and drive off in 5 minutes.

Having an extension lead hanging out of your 3rd floor flat window, or looking for an on-street charging point is a design dead end in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JEMJEM Frets: 128
    Adey said:
    Electric cars would be great if the manufacturers could standardise a rapidly replaceable battery system so that you could just pull into an "Electric Station", pull out the nearly empty batteries, push in the new, fully charged batteries, and drive off in 5 minutes.

This sort of thing perhaps?

*TLDW; A Nio electric car with automated removable battery pack.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2269
    Yep. That sort of thing.....

....but without the unnecessary computer generated voice saying "nicely done" when I have managed to display the skill needed to stop my car somewhere close to the swap station...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom