Mary Poppins film age rating raised

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16820
    Watership down is another that was a U, but got reclassified as PG.

Is anyone going to challenge the logic behind that? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6774
    edited February 26
    Philly_Q said:
    merlin said:
    AND a naked Keith Chegwin. 
    My mind must have blocked that out.
    He played Fleance. He must have been around 14 years old. He may or may not have appeared naked. I screened this film in the Sherman Theatre in Cardiff when I was a W.E.P. learning about lights, sound and film projection. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24698
    Cols said:

Nothing has been cancelled. Parents have exercised their right to decide what their kids can watch.

Ah!  You’d just like parents to exercise their right to decide what their kids can watch.

Dead easy.  Just make all films PG as a minimum, problem solved.
    Don't be silly. 

Cancellation arguments just don’t apply to kids anyway. Parents are allowed to impose additional restrictions on their children as you well know. But they do not apply to adults.

If you were correct, and you are not, then the decision to move a film from PG to 15 would be cancelling. That would also be nonsense. Even though that carries risks of fines to cinemas and shops it would still not be cancelling. The film is still available. Openly available in shops and download services.

The school example does not limit your choice or the choices you allow your kids in 99.99999999999% of the world you inhabit. The balance where choice is restricted is in a specific building between the hours of 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday in term time only. 

No such restrictions before 9am or after 3pm, or at the weekends, or in the school holidays. You have total Mary Poppins control during those times. You might even let them watch a 12A certificate film at your house! 

I suppose you could go completely batty with it: claim that if you visit another house with your copy of Mary Poppins on dvd and then discover the house owner made the decision to not own a dvd player is cancelling it too. 

You are an adult. You are allowed to have sex with a consenting partner. But not in Boots where you buy your condoms. Has your sex life been cancelled because you can’t have sex in a particular venue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 26
    It should have a warning to prepare people for for Dick Van Dyke's attempt at a 'Cockney' accent, although to be fair to him, at the time of filming he was struggling with alchoholism and apparently feeling suicidal, so I doubt nailing geographically-accurate phonetics was on the top of his to do list. In spite of that, his performance managed to net an Oscar for the song Chim chim-cher-ee, which I'm sure is more than most of us could manage, especially when pissed. 
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    I love the film.

It’s perfect. A rare example of zero shit bits or dodgy production.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 820
    It should have a warning to prepare people for for Dick Van Dyke's attempt at a 'Cockney' accent, although to be fair to him, at the time of filming he was struggling with alchoholism and apparently feeling suicidal, so I doubt nailing geographically-accurate phonetics was on the top of his to do list. In spite of that, his performance managed to net an Oscar for the song Chim chim-cher-ee, which I'm sure is more than most of us could manage, especially when pissed. 
    I thought he was great, accent or no accent, and I wouldn't want anyone else in that part.

Actually, who knows how working-class people spoke in Edwardian London, particularly those who had immigrant parents or were immigrants themselves. You might well get something of a hybrid accent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3657
    WezV said:
    Watership down is another that was a U, but got reclassified as PG.

Is anyone going to challenge the logic behind that? 
    Because it was a dark as fuck film featuring vicious evil rabbits intent on clawing eachothers eye balls out?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23278
    edited February 26
    merlin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    merlin said:
    AND a naked Keith Chegwin. 
    My mind must have blocked that out.
    He played Fleance. He must have been around 14 years old. He may or may not have appeared naked. I screened this film in the Sherman Theatre in Cardiff when I was a W.E.P. learning about lights, sound and film projection. 

Is that Robin Hood Junior?  I can remember him being in Children's Film Foundation productions back in the '70s.  They always used to have clips on Screen Test and/or Clapperboard.  And he was in an episode of a series called Kim & Co, playing (I think) a pop star.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15684
    Timcito said:
    I thought he was great, accent or no accent, and I wouldn't want anyone else in that part.

Actually, who knows how working-class people spoke in Edwardian London, particularly those who had immigrant parents or were immigrants themselves. You might well get something of a hybrid accent.
    erm, you do know there were folklorists and historians going around recording regional accents? There's a whole bank of recordings of how people actually spoke and in none of them do cockney's sound like Van Dyke.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 820
    I wonder what'll happen in the future when meat-eating gets banned. Will all those movies showing kids eating hamburgers get slapped with an R rating?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15684
    Timcito said:
    I wonder what'll happen in the future when meat-eating gets banned. Will all those movies showing kids eating hamburgers get slapped with an R rating?  ;)
    yeah, I like to think about made up things as well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Should point out that the Age Rating has not changed.

U and PG are not age dependent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gotta love how easily the self identifying ‘anti-woke’ lot get triggered.. what a bunch of snowflakes.

Now a parent or teacher can check a note and make a point about outdated or racist elements if they choose to. Educated, informed, empowered….   Scary stuff indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28869
    Gotta love how easily the self identifying ‘anti-woke’ lot get triggered.. what a bunch of snowflakes.
    And they actually self-trigger. 

They make things up to get angry about. I assume it's just for the attention. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24513
    VimFuego said:
    Timcito said:
    yeah, I like to think about made up things as well.
    Well, I'm OUTRAGED at my idea that these lefty woke idiots will soon ban the words "mother" and "father" and force everyone to be transgender.  It's bloody OUTRAGEOUS!!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12024
    There should be a very easy way to handle this sort of stuff.

It clearly would be wrong to act like book-burning bigots, and intentionally destroy or ban all books, films and audio from the past because attitudes have changed.

If I watch a film made in the 70s, 50s, 30s, I expect to see and hear material that was deemed normal from that era.

Surely a simple note on any listing should just say "this film was made in 19xx, and features language and themes typical of the era, concerned parents should consult advisory guidance".

Putting PG on something sounds like a measured response to me, but missing the point - just tell people it's an old film.

I'm sure a very small number of films need stronger treatment, where showing material that would be appalling to watch by accident today.

btw "The Wall" features a clip from a film featuring the N-word, which AFAIK was intended to show how language use had changed so much since RW was a kid. My kids are so upset and outraged by any use (outside of black speech and lyrics) of the N-word now, they would be shocked. What do we do, demand a remix? put parental advisory labels on it?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7176
    It’s a funny thing.  While films are getting age ratings bumped up at the lower end of the scale (Bedknobs and Broomsticks should now also be approached with caution, apparently), the exact opposite is happening at the other end.

The Terminator, for example, was rated 18 on release.  Understandable really - in the first 5 minutes Schwarzenegger punches clean through a man’s torso while clothes shopping, and later performs a bit of DIY surgery on himself including popping out a damaged eyeball.

However, these days it only merits a 15 rating.

And Life of Brian - banned or widely suppressed on release, featuring Terry Jones’s tackle, Graham Chapman’s knob and Sue Jones-Davies in all her glory - is now downgraded from the original 18 to a mere 12A.

I do wonder what’s actually required for an 18 cert these days.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    One of my youngest’s favourite films, my wife’s favourite actor… no censorship, no issues.

I’m 40 and I had never heard of the word.

For me, nothing to see here.. move on
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574

If I watch a film made in the 70s, 50s, 30s,
    were any of the original cast in it at the end ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Cols said:
    It’s a funny thing.  While films are getting age ratings bumped up at the lower end of the scale (Bedknobs and Broomsticks should now also be approached with caution, apparently), the exact opposite is happening at the other end.

The Terminator, for example, was rated 18 on release.  Understandable really - in the first 5 minutes Schwarzenegger punches clean through a man’s torso while clothes shopping, and later performs a bit of DIY surgery on himself including popping out a damaged eyeball.

However, these days it only merits a 15 rating.

And Life of Brian - banned or widely suppressed on release, featuring Terry Jones’s tackle, Graham Chapman’s knob and Sue Jones-Davies in all her glory - is now downgraded from the original 18 to a mere 12A.

I do wonder what’s actually required for an 18 cert these days.
    Go even further back and see what was X/18 rated is more or less tea time viewing now. Victim (1961)was X rated for depicting gay men. Not gay sex, just gay men. It's a 12 now. 
    Very few film makers want an 18 certificate now. Horror films wanted X or 18 to convey how horrific they were so often have a bit of bare bosom in order to ensure they got that rating and seem scarier than they actually were. But the cinema going audience now is families and teenagers so 18 is the kiss of death to ticket sales, hence you rarely see them. Different on streaming where there is still an 18+ audience or under 18s who don't care. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.