Mary Poppins film age rating raised

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4567
    When I was about 13, our Latin teacher showed us Life of Brian.

For the graffiti scene, of course.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23044
    In school we saw Polanski's film of Macbeth.  I can't remember if they took us to the cinema or screened it in the school gym, but either way I don't think the teachers had vetted it first.  There's violence and nudity.  And a lot of mud.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    The film needs a warning about Dick Van Dyke's accent
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18934
    WezV said:
    The film needs a warning about Dick Van Dyke's accent
    Cultural appropriation  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 730
    edited February 26
    Offset said:
    Not sure what the BBFC is trying to achieve here.
    It tells you in the article  B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18934
    Philly_Q said:
    In school we saw Polanski's film of Macbeth.  I can't remember if they took us to the cinema or screened it in the school gym, but either way I don't think the teachers had vetted it first.  There's violence and nudity.  And a lot of mud.
    We weren't allowed mud in the school gym, although the sex & violence is still triggering...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    Philly_Q said:
    AND a naked Keith Chegwin. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    edited February 26
    Some things you can see on the regular telly that are much ,much worse for sensitive souls like myself

That Vietcong guy and the head shot and the blood as he lands on the ground, I saw that on TV when I was a child it it messed me up big time....newsreader talking to an innocent bystander in a war who was trussed up like a pig,pleading for his life, and shot with a rifle for the benefit of the TV/ show reporter.......the monster who shot the farmer was later executed and we got to see that also....lovely

That,and the Cheggers nude show presentation
    tae be or not tae be
    merlin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    AND a naked Keith Chegwin. 
    My mind must have blocked that out.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7089
    Cheggers plays, pop?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24565
    Cols said:
    Timcito said:
    Utterly absurd. By the the time they've finished cleaning up and canceling the films from the past that fail to meet exacting present-day wokeist standards, there'll be bugger all left. 
    They've upped it to a PG. Everybody is still able to watch it at any age. A child can still watch it or even buy it.

They have not edited the film in any way.

Please explain how and what has been cancelled here?
    I can give you an example.

Before half term, my youngest child (8 years old) went off on his very residential trip with school.  Each child was allowed to bring a DVD with them for the class to watch in the evening (I believe there was a class vote on which movies actually got chosen).

Nothing above a U rating was permitted to be brought. The school can show PG films, but only after seeking permission from the parents of every child in the class.
    So there was a system in place for the parents to decide what their kids could watch?

The film remains available for watching at home for all the parents who said yes? 

The system doesn’t interfere with parental choice or actual availability of the film.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better example of false equivalency. It is nowhere near cancelling. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Timcito said:
    Utterly absurd. By the the time they've finished cleaning up and canceling the films from the past that fail to meet exacting present-day wokeist standards, there'll be bugger all left. 
    They've upped it to a PG. Everybody is still able to watch it at any age. A child can still watch it or even buy it.

Before half term, my youngest child (8 years old) went off on his very residential trip with school.  Each child was allowed to bring a DVD with them for the class to watch in the evening (I believe there was a class vote on which movies actually got chosen).

Nothing above a U rating was permitted to be brought. The school can show PG films, but only after seeking permission from the parents of every child in the class.
    So there was a system in place for the parents to decide what their kids could watch?

Not in this case.  Each child brought along a DVD, and then the class democratically decided which ones they watched.  The only parental involvement was what their own child brought along.  So one child could bring (for example) E.T. and, if it was a popular choice, that's what went on the telly.  The teachers weren't phoning round everyone's parents to check if that was okay and no-one had any bizarre objection.
    The film remains available for watching at home for all the parents who said yes? 
    It wouldn't happen.  The kids weren't allowed to bring any PG films, because no teacher in their right mind is going to go to the hassle of seeking parental permission from 30 sets of parents because the class wants to watch Jurassic Park over their toasted marshmallows.

The system doesn’t interfere with parental choice or actual availability of the film.
    No.  It does, however, interfere with a child's ability to share a great film with their classmates during a school trip.  And if a teacher wants to show it in class, they now have to write to all of the parents to seek permission and provide justification.
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better example of false equivalency. 
    I don't understand this comment.  What am I drawing an equivalence with?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11944
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    It tells you why, but not what they're trying to achieve.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jaycee said:

Hottentot ........... I had to look it up,

So did I, and for some reason, probably to do with how the word sounds when said aloud, I actually originally thought that it was a derogatory term for a Spurs fan, before Google told me otherwise.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    The word is used in Shakespear's Sister song "I don't care" as well. I had no idea what it meant until now. I guess Radio Stations will be bleeping it out from now on.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 730
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    It tells you why, but not what they're trying to achieve.
     =) 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24565

Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Timcito said:

Not in this case.  Each child brought along a DVD, and then the class democratically decided which ones they watched.  The only parental involvement was what their own child brought along.  So one child could bring (for example) E.T. and, if it was a popular choice, that's what went on the telly.  The teachers weren't phoning round everyone's parents to check if that was okay and no-one had any bizarre objection.
    It wouldn't happen.  The kids weren't allowed to bring any PG films, because no teacher in their right mind is going to go to the hassle of seeking parental permission from 30 sets of parents because the class wants to watch Jurassic Park over their toasted marshmallows.

No.  It does, however, interfere with a child's ability to share a great film with their classmates during a school trip.  And if a teacher wants to show it in class, they now have to write to all of the parents to seek permission and provide justification.
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better example of false equivalency. 
    I don't understand this comment.  What am I drawing an equivalence with?

Nothing has been cancelled. Parents have exercised their right to decide what their kids can watch.

Rules within a specific and limited setting are not examples of cancellation.

The venue specific rules cease to apply 1mm outside the school building. 

Even when simple logistics of not wanting to call 30 sets of parents mean some choices are limited within a school that is not cancelling.

It doesn’t even prevent kids from sharing the film outside the school boundaries.

Parents making choices that have a side effect of temporarily limiting choice for others within a specific venue is not cancelling. The parents are not an official body or unit and as positive permission is usually required to allow PGs it is not even possible to guess what reasons any particular parent has or even if some just forgot to respond.

It’s just not an example of cancelling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I was aware of the word Hottentot, I had probably read it in an old book somewhere.  I thought it was a term for a particular ethnic group and didn't realise it was considered offensive... but I know now.  So fair enough, Mary Poppins gets a PG.  That's preferable to censorship.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16144
    I preferred Chitty Chitty Bang Bang anyway
    ........and that is an abomination....a car that can fly over the pathetic LTN closed roads and even evade the Ulez cameras
    maybe even exceed the ridiculous 20mph council cash -cow tollgate

Nothing has been cancelled. Parents have exercised their right to decide what their kids can watch.

Ah!  You’d just like parents to exercise their right to decide what their kids can watch.

Dead easy.  Just make all films PG as a minimum, problem solved.