What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23045
    Greatape said:
    Just got 'Curtis Live!' and it's awesome 
    Tony or Alan?  Or Stigers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 378
    I mainly listen to music via ripped cds or actual cds, spotify comes next.

I mainly go to gigs in small rooms <300 capacity and generally hand over a tenner to the artist for a cd and get to have a chat with them.

This is how we keep original music alive.

Cover bands have their place but that isn't how great music gets made.

I have roughly 750 cds and 150 vinyl albums left. I love them all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    CDs came out in my heavy traveling years in the 80s and 90s, and I never had the kind of domestic stability conducive to building collections of stuff. So, in music, I seem to have gone straight from vinyl and cassettes to the present 'objectless' digital systems of the 2000s. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 980
    Philly_Q said:
    If I open Spotify my mind goes blank and I can't even think of any bands. Probably a worry, that. 
    I don't find that at all!  It reminds me what I've played recently, suggests albums to play today, has playlists.... and I've got hundreds of favourite artists saved so a quick scroll through those always makes me think of something to listen to.
    Yeah to be fair I probably just don't use streaming enough to get used to it.
    edited February 28
    Jfingers said:
    I have about 1,000 vinyl albums, that's pretty much static since the late '80s, and I shudder to think how many CDs.  3,000 maybe?
    I love most of them, but some are absolute shite.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18934
    Philly_Q said:
    Jfingers said:
    I have about 1,000 vinyl albums, that's pretty much static since the late '80s, and I shudder to think how many CDs.  3,000 maybe?
    You can get some great products to get rid of that vinyl static  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited February 28
    Still got mine. Each one a little piece of art. Each holds a memory.
    Love em though havent played them for a while. Need a new player.
    I value them more than Space.. i want them in my happy place with my favourite books and guitars and anything else which will make me feel good.
    More is more for me... i dont need lots of space. I like stacks of stufffff space is just space..sooner or later i will fill it with something why not my memories. The itch stays scratched. 
    Not bought any for a while as too busy with kids at weekends etc. Love searching for cds and love looking in the local library for books.. I would like  a local cd dvd vinyl books posters library. Free for a good rummage etc instead of computers and free internet. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited February 28
    https://i.imgur.com/8nN5Kw9.jpg

I thought I had much more, but this is about 950. Whenever an album comes out I find it hard to decide to go for vinyl or CD. If I know there’s a download code I will buy the vinyl - best of both worlds.

I will have to start the arduous task of putting them on a spreadsheet, because I have been caught out recently buying things I already have.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11858
    Says a lot about the honesty of TFBers that nobody to date has denied being an old fart...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I still have all my CDs and continue to buy new ones. The same goes for vinyl, although I only buy them from time to time. There's something that keeps me tied to physical media, rather than getting rid of it and moving to a purely streamed solution. Nostalgia? Distrust of streaming services? The ability to hold something I own in my hands? I dunno really, possibly all three. I do like reading sleeve notes.

I like the ceremony of putting a vinyl record on. It focuses me on an album. The same goes for CDs to some extent. It's just more involving than clicking a link to a track on my phone or computer.

I've avoided subscribing to a streaming platform so far. I think I'd probably be overwhelmed by the vast amount of music available to be honest. I struggle enough with the size of my own music collection at times - it's probably a couple of thousand CDs and a few hundred vinyl LPs - and it's hard to choose what to play on occasion, even though it's all music I chose to buy. My CDs and vinyl are all stored on dedicated shelving units, which look pretty cool to me. They do take up a reasonable amount of space though.

All my CDs are ripped to a NAS which feeds various SONOS players around the house, so I have the 'streaming' thing sorted to some degree even though SONOS's sound quality is basic at best. It's fine for background music.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    All mine are on a bookshelf along with my hi fi 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I have a couple of thousand CDs and still buy a few more each year - mostly stuff I've listened to enough on Spotify to make me think that I'd like to have my own copy and not run the risk of losing access to music I've come to love.

A few years ago I ditched all the jewel cases and stored the CDs themselves all in several of these Amazon 400 CD cases. Worth it to me for the amazing amount of space saved - they now all fit on a small shelf in a wardrobe rather than a dedicated wall of shelves. I've kept the cases that were limited edition or otherwise interesting though. I'd recommend the cases, they feel robust enough and protect the CDs. I also kept the booklets, which can just about fit into the pockets too.

I don't have a CD player any more, not since my beloved Rotel bit the dust. Everything is ripped to FLAC and run via a Squeezebox server (aka Logitech Media Server) running on a Raspberry Pi and into a Squeezebox Duet connected to the hi-fi.

I keep a record of my collection via Discogs. It hasn't quite stopped me buying the same album twice though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Philly_Q said:
    Greatape said:
    The best is the late great Legend that is Curtis Mayfield.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2304
    Philly_Q said:
    Jfingers said:
    You can get some great products to get rid of that vinyl static  ;)
    seriously ca you let us know what you use? I've got some old LP .wav rips that could really do with cleaning up
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    I still buy CDs occasionally, I much prefer the new packaging format which does not use the plastic case. P{nk Floyd's Ummagumma even comes on two discs just like original LP.

edited February 29
    Philly_Q said:
    Greatape said:
    The best is the late great Legend that is Curtis Mayfield.
    I think that's probably who he meant.  But I was attempting to be comedic.
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 577
    This thread reminded me to go dig out mine.
    Love them. Will now need to rip them to a digital platform. Some lovely obscure stuff. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    edited February 29
    When I open up spotify, I can never think of what to play, so much that i often have to go and browse through my CD's to decide what to music to stream. 

The CD into a good DAC and into my amp sounds brilliant even though most of the tech's is 25 years old, I still see Hifi as a treat. I do love spotify for it's convenience and sheer quantity available. 

We are spoilt in this modern era. I do miss going to woolies for some pick n mix and a browse through the CDs though. 
  • JEMJEM Frets: 131

I still buy CDs. Mainly second hand from eBay or charity shops. I'll still buy them new if it's a fairly unknown musician I want to support. I tend to rip them at a decent bit rate and put them on my phone.

Amazingly the 20+ year old CD changer in my car still works so I sometimes use that for old times' sake.

I had a free trial subscription for Spotify and thought it was pretty good but my concern is that it's just not sustainable. The company has never made a profit and smaller artists are already complaining that what little income they got from it has started drying up. Once the venture capitalist get bored of pouring money into it they'll either start putting ads in the paid for stream or the subscription price will skyrocket.

I think I'll hang onto my CDs.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    Says a lot about the honesty of TFBers that nobody to date has denied being an old fart...
    I'm not old! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."