Old farts that still keep their CDs

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
edited February 27 in Off Topic

Yep.  That's me.

But I need to box them up and store them away to reorganise my studio space for more performance area. 

If you've done this, have used cardboard boxes for it like these? and is it OK to store them in a loft space (unheated but dry)?

https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/postal-boxes/cd-dvd-lp-packaging/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    I too, am an old fart with many cd's. I think there's more of a chance they get damaged by it being too hot than with no heat.
    Just a guess on my part though. I imagine boxes like that should be ok, it probably how they got shipped to stores in the first place. Good luck.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 27
    we got shot of a lot of ours last summer  - about 500 I think  - we just don't sit down and "listen to music"  (TBH I never have - its always just a background and/or an ingredient to other things)

Alexa works perfectly well in the kitchen when Im cooking, and stuff on USB in the car
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Old fart with all his CD's - Some at work and some at home - Can't recall last time I used a CD at home - Tend to go phone/play list - Car doesn't even have CD so play list only - But they aren't going anywhere - Feel they are part of me - Phone is just something to use and not tangible/personal - Use CD's at work quite often
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    I've got most of mine still in their jewel cases in some purpose built cabinets (which is of no use to you whatsoever).

But, possibly of more use, the excess goes into these ...

Picture 2 of 12
    ... with the original jewel cases in cardboard boxes out of the way in a loft.

You can fit 200 CDs into one of those storage cases, indexed so you can find what you want quickly/easily, in a fraction of the space that 200 CDs in jewel cases would take up.

That way, no risk of storage damage, CDs still easily accessible, lots of space saved.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    edited February 27
    My CDs are up in the loft except for about 400 essentials.  I play vinyl mostly
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    That will be me. I have considered parting with them but some comparisons last year with highest quality Spotify told me that they are still better for proper as opposed to on the move listening. I have even been enjoying the fun of picking up a few more in charity shops, Crowded House, Ocean Colour Scene, and a lucky find some Rory Gallagher :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    I have hundreds in the loft and a wallet with about 50 in missus Munckee’s car as it had a cd player even though we mostly use blue tooth in the car. 

Occasionally i love listening to a whole album. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Yeah, old fart with CDs, and who still buys CDs.  That's all I have to say really, no suggestions as regards storage.

@TTony is that case designed to hold CDs, or was it originally for something completely different?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    I kept five, I think, that weren't on Spotify. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1451
    edited February 27
    I still have mine and always will.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Reverend said:
       I play vinyl mostly
    bit modern,  we're still devout linoleum
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    What are CDs you wippersnappers?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I still have my CDs, and my Marantz CD player…
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    Designed for CDs @Philly_Q ;

And not expensive.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Sold off 2/3 of my huge collection about 6 or 7 years ago. It was like cutting off a limb…..for about a week. Haven’t missed them since.
    On the rare occasion I want to listen to something that isn’t on my streaming platform of choice, it really annoys me to have to dig out the CD and all the inconvenience of playing the darn thing.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    Vinyl, CD’s, I’ve even got mini disks and old cassettes. Wife’s doesn’t like
    the clutter, but they’re out of the way….and instill
    listen to them (well, not the cassettes…..)
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    I still have my CDs, and my Marantz CD player…

Technics MASH players here.

(One in use, plus a spare in pristine condition in storage)

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    I've still got some CDs - still buy the odd few - and also bought over the last seven years a large vinyl collection.

Probably a massive waste of both space and money - but probably going to try and avoid buying too many more of either.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Still got CD's but never play them. I do play my DVD Movies though and still like to buy a physical copy of a film I really like. I'm quite unhappy that I cannot get some films on physical media. Barbarian and Empty Man being two of them.

:s 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Very rarely buy CDs nowadays and if I do they go straight into the Naim Unitiserve, converted into FLAC which get's automatically backed up onto a server upstairs. CD goes on the shelf and rarely sees the light of day again unless I did it out to play in the car. There's also something about a CD that you actually own that music and can reformat to digital storage elsewhere. All the streaming services can change the rules of payment anytime. Eventually you may be charged per play. That's when you'll all be sorry you whizzed all your CD's. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom