12346»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    I use spotify a lot. mostly because I can't take a turntable on the tube or to the gym. I about 400 CDs in the doom room (like a doom box but bigger - with guitars, amps, pedals etc) 500 or so slip case promos and demos in a crate under the bed and then another 2000 or so in the loft. 400 odd tapes, and then maybe 2,800 LPs, 500 singles and a few 10" records. 
    Thanks for explaining the doom room, but I've no idea what a doom box is..!  3
    (I will now find out)
    A doom box is like a doom room @Philly_Q - but a lot smaller.
    And with less stuff in it? 
    You can still have as much stuff in it - but it has to be much smaller stuff.
    Now that I think about it, I think I live in a doom flat.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Having gone too early with streamed music and got burned (Virgin Music, bought albums, Virgin shut it down after a couple of years = no albums), still wedded to CDs/legit full rights free downloads for important stuff.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Ironically, this is inspiring me to have a clearout!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    “‘Doom’ box is an acronym for ‘didn’t organize, only moved’ that originated on TikTok and is not a reflection on mortality as I previously thought.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    I use spotify a lot. mostly because I can't take a turntable on the tube or to the gym. I about 400 CDs in the doom room (like a doom box but bigger - with guitars, amps, pedals etc) 500 or so slip case promos and demos in a crate under the bed and then another 2000 or so in the loft. 400 odd tapes, and then maybe 2,800 LPs, 500 singles and a few 10" records. 
    Thanks for explaining the doom room, but I've no idea what a doom box is..!  3
    (I will now find out)
    A doom box is like a doom room @Philly_Q - but a lot smaller.
    It's harder to squeeze quite as much doom into the box. In the room, the doom has room. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I got back into CDs to stop myself buying expensive vinyl. Now I'm sometimes finding I'm searching for CDs and finding the remaining new copies are at £20 too... I miss the heyday of cheap cd sell offs 10+ years ago. Should have bought more.
    horse said:
    I got back into CDs to stop myself buying expensive vinyl. Now I'm sometimes finding I'm searching for CDs and finding the remaining new copies are at £20 too... I miss the heyday of cheap cd sell offs 10+ years ago. Should have bought more.
    If you buy stuff on independent labels, or want the initial release with a slipcover or bonus tracks or whatever, they seem to sell out really quickly.  I guess the market's so small that they only produce very limited quantities.  Sometimes they're still available direct from the labels after Amazon have sold out.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    I got a signed copy of Last Dinner Party's CD from Amazon, but also got the vinyl.

While we are on the topic... they won't be included in the clearout of course...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Philly_Q said:
    horse said:
    If you buy stuff on independent labels, or want the initial release with a slipcover or bonus tracks or whatever, they seem to sell out really quickly.  I guess the market's so small that they only produce very limited quantities.  Sometimes they're still available direct from the labels after Amazon have sold out.
     Yes, £15 for small new releases. It's the older stuff where the new copies are now scarce that I regret not getting before, particularly when there weren't massive amounts released initially, so even the used copies are over a tenner. The era of cheap CDs is rapidly ending.
    horse said:
    Philly_Q said:
    horse said:
     Yes, £15 for small new releases. It's the older stuff where the new copies are now scarce that I regret not getting before, particularly when there weren't massive amounts released initially, so even the used copies are over a tenner. The era of cheap CDs is rapidly ending.
    And I guess that's the beginning of making CDs hip-and-cool again, and convincing us that they're worth paying a fortune for.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    I still use my original CD player , a Denon, just when they started producing stuff for the home market. Before they only produced studio gear. I still have hundreds and hundreds of CD'S, same for cassettes and vinyl.i even have an iPod with eight days music on it. I might be an old fart but if the net goes down I have stuff to play. And you can never say never.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 367
    I like Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes. I've filled three gaps in my collection of cds from the bay for less than a tenner, two of them factory sealed. Music Magpie, probably could have got them for less if I went direct...
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    CD’s and old records are something I just can’t move on.
    Totally pointless keeping them, value of hardly anything but each one purchased and enjoyed.
    i just can’t get my head around getting nothing for something that meant a lot to me at the time.

Yes they will end up in a skip when I’m gone, but they ain’t going anywhere under my watch 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    Ironically, this is inspiring me to have a clearout!
    I'll send a truck over.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1216
    I have CDs here still. And a decent marantz CD player. I like the ceremony of putting the CD in the tray, listening to a full album on a nice hi fi setup at home. Then back in its case in the rack. Same with my youth mix tapes (88-94), vinyl from when i was DJing in house music nights.
    Like the sound of CD, quite crisp, mostly uncompressed and good sound stage.
    My favourite CD album  to play on the system is welcome to the pleasure dome fgth. Think horn had 80s hi fi systems in mind when he produced it.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    edited March 3
    I binned the jewel cases, stored the docs and inlay booklets in several large CD wallets and packed the rest of the back inlay sleeves and custom cases on a Really Useful box in the loft.

I’ve ripped all the discs onto an Innuos Zen Mini server.
    Rob1742 said:
    CD’s and old records are something I just can’t move on.
    Totally pointless keeping them, value of hardly anything but each one purchased and enjoyed.
    i just can’t get my head around getting nothing for something that meant a lot to me at the time.

Yes they will end up in a skip when I’m gone, but they ain’t going anywhere under my watch 
    It's the thought of them ending up in a skip which might move me to have a clearout (while I'm still alive, that is).  But first I'll get rid of the actual junk, like old guitar mags...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Greatape said:
     listen to way more albums start to finish. 
    I've actually always done this with streaming. I think the first service I used was Napster, and then Spotify. I almost always listen to a whole album, and the odd curated playlist that Spotify suggest, from which I will go listen to whole albums by artists whose track I like (from the playlist).

For me, streaming has been a positive revelation for how I like to listen. The physical ownership isn't a think. 

However. As a big Neil Young fan, him dropping off Spotify reduced how much of his stuff I listen too, though I do have loads of Neil Young CDs