Old farts that still keep their CDs

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27658
    maharg101 said:
    I still have my CDs, and my Marantz CD player…

Technics MASH players here.

(One in use, plus a spare in pristine condition in storage)

I’m still using my original Sony, with another in reserve for “just in case”.

But I’ve also got one of these inherited from my old Dad, boxed, just in case, in case.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 732
    I put some in one of those wallets full of sleeves and got rid of the boxes. Think I kept some of the "covers". I planned to stick a few of my favourites to a piece of card and frame it but never got round to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11860
    The biggest problem with physical media - apart from the fact writing about it turns your text blue for some reason - is that if I even tried to own all the music I like on physical media, I'd have so much of it I'd end up with no space in my house, and divorced...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    I had so many and in a similar position, needed more space. I bought one of those binder wallets full of sleeves too, but the only thing i disposed of was the actual cases. I kept the inlays mostly. 
    Worked a treat, takes up very little room now, and it's good to flick through them, take one out and give it a play - and have a read of the CD inlay. 
    The downside is when selling some (see misc classifieds!) they don't come with a case!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27658
    , I'd have so much of it I'd end up with no space in my house, and divorced...
    Well, what’s space for?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3001
    TheMarlin said:
    Vinyl, CD’s, I’ve even got mini disks and old cassettes.
    Me the same. And I listen to whatever format I feel like at the time, all sources set to same input levels so you can switch from say a CD of one album to the vinyl equivalent playing at the same time and hear the difference between the two. Some things sound better on vinyl, others on CD. Records and CD's have their own storage racks, mini disks and tapes are scattered around the place in various drawers. I don't have a TV (hope you are reading this Mr TV Licensing, don't see why I should have to tell you this, stop sending me letters).

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11860
    TTony said:
    , I'd have so much of it I'd end up with no space in my house, and divorced...
    Well, what’s space for?
    Very philosophical question for this time of night!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    I actually just bought a CD player - love a bit of CD. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    viz said:
    This in spades.

I have a Marantz connected to a pair of B&W 601 Speakers in my bedroom. By far the best sound.
    I don't really know how many CD's I own, but 1,500 is probably a conservative estimate.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited February 27
    I've got 600 odd CDs Currently stored in large flat storage containers that live under the bed. Need to buy a new CD player and amp tho'. Had a Creek amp and CD player that I used for 20 odd years. They were used as the sound system for the TV as well, though they finally gave up the ghost last year. Have a CD player in the car that I still use.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 311
    Still got my CDs. Need something to put in the 6 disc changer in the boot of the car (25 year old beemer).
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited February 27
    rze99,
    Those cardboard boxes will be fine.
    A friend used similar white ones to ship his over 6,000 CD collection from Australia to England and again a few years later back to Miami..
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited February 28
    I have loads, some on shelves in the office here, loads more boxed up in plastic boxes in the garage. Can't part with them tbh. I still regret binning my tape deck and hundreds of tapes about 10 years ago too. MInd, tapes were crap, but very nostalgic. 

I hardly play CDs though, only ever did so in the car, but when I changed that, the new one doesn't have any physical media (that IMO is a flaw, no Spotify in poor signal areas).

I do almost all my listening on Spotify then vinyl (which isn't all it's cracked up to be either IMO), and then CD.

Hoping Spotify provide lossless streaming sometime soon cos I cba changing streaming service
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28654
    viz said:
    What are CDs you wippersnappers?
    They're how we listened to music in the old days, before vinyl became popular. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    viz said:
    me too. I recently had a 'declutter' of the CDs keeping only classic albums I would listen in their entirety and those produced by musicians I am actually friends with. seemed the correct measure to reflect my actual listening habits and loyalty to those who continue to make music 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7927
    viz said:
    This in spades.

I have a Marantz connected to a pair of B&W 601 Speakers in my bedroom. By far the best sound.
    I don't really know how many CD's I own, but 1,500 is probably a conservative estimate.

I have a decent streamer, that exports digital signal to an excellent DAC.  I also have a very decent CD Transport, again, it feeds into the same DAC. 

As good as the streamer is, the CD player absolutely kicks its ass. If I see a decent looking charity shop, i’ll pop in and usually leave with a fistfull of CDs for pennies. 

Good time to buy.  Picked up some crackers, including a rare Ivor Cutler CD for nothing.  It’s rare I get decent vinyl at a charity shop, but still
    pick up the odd bargain from time to time
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    What are you using, Mr. TM?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    CD’s will be fine in the loft, my stepson had boxes full of ‘em in ours till we moved and made him take them back.

I’ve still got hundreds of my own and still buy them. A local charity shop sells them  at five for a pound and I’ve picked up some great albums. I like sitting in a comfy chair in my man cave and just listening every now and again. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Still listening too and buying (boot sales 3 for a quid!) CD's.

Still have my old Denon outfit that still sounds great. How people listen to music on a phone is beyond me.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1817
    Vinyl went the same way at some point, could pick up stuff for a quid and I gave so much of it away that it makes my eyes water when I see what it’s worth now!!!

I’m now trying to resalvage a lot of the vinyl I gave away (perhaps for nostalgic reasons!!), I wonder if CD will see a similar resurgence soon?