TheFretboard DIY Pedalboard Kits Gallery Thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    Mine is all ready for painting. What are people using to paint their wood? Would spray paint work ok?

I picked up the white primed wood from B&Q. I’m tempted to go white actually as I quite like the look!
    Spray can of Rust-oleum, picked up at the same time as the wood. Was a nice British racing green so figured it would be hard to go wrong. So far has cured well.
    Thanks. That was one of the reasons for asking really. Will the paint chip, get beer damaged when people in the front row fall over themselves etc!
    That had been my thought process exactly. No idea how it will last, but after 24-48hours and a decrease in humidity it felt pretty solid. I was of the opinion that anything marketed for furniture has to be reasonably hard wearing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 846
    edited May 21
    Due to my son's strange fascination with rusty cars, sorry, classic cars, we had an assortment of car spray paint which I used, I then applied a couple of coats of clear lacquer on top to make it more durable.

The key to rattle cans is not to apply too thickly - short bursts of paint from about 25-30 cm worked well for me, and then building it up with further applications if needed. Results can be seen in the first page of the thread, but I confirm that it's smooth and consistent with no runs. (Unlike.my guitar playing)
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 127
    I have some clear lacquer, so think I’ll pop a coat or two of that on top as well. Should do the job!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7693
    I suspect when I get around to mine it’ll be the leftover paint from the front door and a brush! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    edited May 21
    TimmyO said:
    I suspect when I get around to mine it’ll be the leftover paint from the front door and a brush! 
    Absolutely as it should be.

Part of the idea when I came up with it was that you should be able to chuck together exactly the board you want with stuff you've got lying around in the garage. Honestly, the more ghetto and shonky it is, the better as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I put some effort into making the demo one for the stand look neat and tidy was because...well, my normal standard of workmanship would've attracted attention for all the wrong reasons :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 127
    I went for a satin black in the end. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, so thanks for including me in batch 2!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    @theimageofall - nice, you can't go wrong with the classic look!
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27860
    Chatting to Lee over the last couple of days, he asked me what I'd done with my pedalboard kit.

Well, admission time, I've not taken it out on tour.   :3

Not yet.

Most of my playing time is sat at my desk, into my Helix Stomp, into interface, into DAW.  And it's a pita using the Helix on a desktop because the display isn't that visible in that setup.

So I made another set of pedalboard strips and a little angled plate to hold the Stomp.  With the Stomp to one side, there's enough room on the board for my favourite drive pedal (Keeley Oxblood), so everything I need and typically use sits neatly on the pedalboard.  I might fix a couple of pieces to the underside of the pedalboard ends to raise it up off the desk, and then the interface will sit underneath.  

Not finished yet - the wood is all still raw and untreated - and I'll probably stick a couple of edge pieces on both ends of the plate to keep the Stomp fixed in place.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.