Slightly Poor Experience with a Retailer

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18894
    elstoof said:
    Hang it up in the bathroom while you have a hot shower and it should swell up 0.033”
    What about the guitar neck?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 846
    elstoof said:
    Hang it up in the bathroom while you have a hot shower and it should swell up 0.033”
    What about the guitar neck?
    I bet your missus is well impressed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    edited March 15
    Fair play to OP for accepting the situation and consensus from responses here.

I'm so neanderthal in comparison when it comes to guitar dimensions, set-up, etc. Will bash away on anything!

But I'm a picky arse about how a guitar looks and getting worse with age... I think largely as a result of spending time on this forum!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    I’m not reading 3 pages of this but…. The difference quoted is all but negligible in the real world. IF your hand is so sensitive as to immediately feel the difference you should t be buying guitars online. 
    You have a right to return it for a full refund but expect to pony up the returns cost as no one is to blame in this situation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited March 15
    Maybe I'm a bit old school but if you're going to reject a guitar over 0.033" then i don't think you should be buying instruments online.

By all means return it if you're not happy but I personally wouldn't be pointing too many fingers at the shop. 
    I think hes perfectly entitled to.  0.033 is actually quite a lot IMO

my "top 2" guitars feel a world different. one is 0.825 the other 0.80.  I have another at 0.81 and it feels positively skinny next to either - inc the one only 0.15" thicker.

Many sites quote the manufacturers neck carve - and that manufacturers site site gives exact measurements.

Of course, going and trying yourself - and even measuring yourself if need be - it optimal - but there are times thats just not possible.  however I think if the measurements are that far out - and Ii consider that quite a lot personally - then Id be returning it too.  

FWIW - Im planning on swapping a strat neck for one 0.01" thin=cker at 1st fret and 0.04 thicker at the 12th - because it just feels wrong next to my other guitar.   

all IMO of course.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4717
    duotone said:
    I know it’s not your situation, but I just read this on: https://www.peachguitars.com/customer-service/returns-info.htm
    Goods Purchased in Store: Our in store policy is that “all sales are final", if you’ve visited, tried something in person while using our service, expertise etc, then there is no legal or moral responsibility for refunds. We will allow for an exchange in certain circumstances, get in touch to discuss your situation further.
    Interesting!
    Interesting and quite normal too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    It’s definitely a noticeable difference in thickness but I also agree with the retailers stance here, particularly with regards measurement tolerances. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2511
    Profile is waaaaaay more relevant than ultimate thickness imo. A V shape will feel much smaller than a chunky shouldered D for the same thickness
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    The point about buying unseen is that you can return for whatever reason; that's the law.
    I would think that not liking the feel of a guitar would be a perfectly valid reason for returning (though you don't have to give a reason at all).
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    A measurement of the thickness of the neck doesn't take into account the shoulders, or the shape of the neck.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    Personally, I find this whole situation utterly mad.

Simplify the question. Did the shop mislead you or not?

Given the differences between two measurements I’m saying no. In this case you pay for the return.

If someone with such detailed requirements messaged me, I’d assume a sale was going to be problematic and suggest you bring your measuring tools to the shop.
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 574
    Did it get played or measured first?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1884
    I'm assuming this is an electric guitar we are talking about here? But an almost 1mm difference on acoustic can feel wildly different. That said,with electrics often it's the overall shape of the neck that can affect it's feel as well as nut width. And 43mm,while standard,is way too narrow for most Western hands in my humble opinion. Having larger necks and nut width options is more difficult and why I play acoustic more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I think the rather apologetic thread title shows that the IP knew deep down it was a non-issue. I don’t think they’ll be making this into a film. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    I think this is really a question about who’s callipers are most accurate, however, I don’t think a shop should quibble if the customer demonstrates his measurements are different and the guitar feels therefore “wrong”.

I also think the value/model of the guitar does make a difference.

On Fender custom shop guitars it is the norm to express the measurements at the 1st and 12th frets and it’s a specific detail that is stated on the spec sheet.  As such you really ought to be getting what you’re told you’re getting.  I certainly pay attention to this detail and it’s a major consideration alongside the other stuff like neck shape, pickup type, weight and colour.  If you go to a website like Wildwood they express it in the thumbnail pics for all the guitars they’re selling as one of the “priority factors”.  All the good shops do it or have started to do it in their descriptions, a bit like giving the weight.  It’s a pain if they don’t and you have to go searching or asking for more info.

This isn’t the case for other models in the Fender line (as far as I know) and necks are made to a standard measure.  As it’s not one of the stated specs I don’t think you can be as exacting as a customer within a certain reasonable range of difference.

In OP’s situation he’s actually asked for a measurement.  The shop have been good enough to do one rather than just saying “it’s a standard Modern C” or whatever.  I can see it from both sides and in the end I think OP has done the right thing paying and moving on although on balance I think the shop should have paid to take it back in this instance.

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    dindude said:
    I think the rather apologetic thread title shows that the IP knew deep down it was a non-issue. I don’t think they’ll be making this into a film. 
    Remember that time when someone got a guitar with the wrong scale length which resulted in the making of A Bridge Too Far?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    rlw said:
    duotone said:
    I know it’s not your situation, but I just read this on: https://www.peachguitars.com/customer-service/returns-info.htm
    Goods Purchased in Store: Our in store policy is that “all sales are final", if you’ve visited, tried something in person while using our service, expertise etc, then there is no legal or moral responsibility for refunds. We will allow for an exchange in certain circumstances, get in touch to discuss your situation further.
    Interesting!
    Interesting and quite normal too.
    So what's the policy if you try out the guitar in person, then put it back on the hanger, go home and order it online?
    Or maybe even just nip out to the car park and do the same from there?
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2511
    thebreeze said:
    I think this is really a question about who’s callipers are most accurate
    I reckon I could get 3 different neck measurements in a row with my Mitutoyo digital calipers with small adjustments each time, particularly because I’m trying not to scratch the finish with the sharp corners of the jaws
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    This is making me feel quite inadequate that I don't currently own any vernier calipers. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24839
    dindude said:
    I don’t think they’ll be making this into a film. 
    Maybe Armando Iannucci could turn it into a comedy drama - ‘The Thickness of It’?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom