What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2803
    Cols said:
    thebreeze said:
    Cols said:
    thebreeze said:
    I think this is really a question about who’s callipers are most accurate, however, I don’t think a shop should quibble if the customer demonstrates his measurements are different and the guitar feels therefore “wrong”.

The shop didn’t quibble.  They said they “would accept it for a full refund as a standard return.​"

The OP’s question was whether the shop should be made to pay the cost of returning the guitar as well as the refund on the grounds of “goods not as described”.  The group consensus was “no”, and to his credit the OP has returned the guitar at his own expense and got a full refund.
    Thanks for the Mansplaing, Cols.
    Oh, it’s quite all right.  

Happy to help you with your written comprehension, Prowla’s helping out with your spellings and if someone else can help you with your maths we’ll all pull together as a forum and get you through primary school.
    Keep up the arrogance Cols, it suits you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Can someone publish a link to the shape of C D V fat C compound etc - I am genuininely interested in what they are 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Just read the 5 pages of this and my thoughts are, every neck is different and we know what suits us so using a certain measurement as a starting point when looking for a guitar is a sensible thing to do. I have a set of digital calipers I bought from Aldi central aisle one day and would never assume they are calibrated but within spit,so if me and my mate with his own set of calipers measured the same thing I would expect different results. (The idea of sending my calipers to the shop to measure the neck with just sprung to mind ,but is that too anal? ) . So we are left with who's measurement is right?

Moving on from this I'm very glad it's been sorted out amicably with the op conceding . With regards to the comment never use that reseller again this is in my opinion totally absurd, the reseller was very polite courteous it seems in his response and correct. Just read this forum to see how good some resellers are and what you would expect their response to be.

Final point is buying on line is fine but if you want something specific, are prepared to pay for it, don't want any long term hassle or disappointment , visit and try before you buy 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7009
    sev112 said:
    Can someone publish a link to the shape of C D V fat C compound etc - I am genuininely interested in what they are 
    One of the proper guitar makers or dealers on this thread like Feline or guitars4you would be best-placed to give you a definitive answer, but basically:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14264
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:
    sev112 said:
    One of the proper guitar makers or dealers on this thread like Feline or guitars4you would be best-placed to give you a definitive answer, but basically:

If you  understand what that means then please let me know

i appreciate if you already own A and want a replica of A then fine

I appreciate there is a difference, especially when you have the guitar in your hands- But if you are banking on a host of measurements and various adjectives from reading a host of website info to help you then I’m not sure it implies me with enough information to help me

Your hands alone are the ultimate test
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14264
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:
    sev112 said:

Whilst there is a strong element that U D and C are popular and common, there are many  profiles that sit in the gray’ area in between 

it does give you a guide line if they are parameters you are familiar with - ie I like a Fender 65C or a PRS pattern profile - But if such guidelines are not familiar to you then it probably means diddly squat 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2803

@sev112, these are Fender shapes with measures at 1st and 12th frets.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Thank you both, I am at least more informed than I was :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16677
    If you want to measure with strings on, put a bl0ck of known thickness between the d and g strings, flat against the board, then take that thickness off the total measurement. 

I often use th 4mm Allen bit from a mini screwdriver set as it's always near by

I tend to use cheaper plastic calipers when measuring a finished neck so wouldnt expect total accuracy... but the more accurate metal set comes out when carving necks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom