Mr Big @ Rock City on Tuesday

What's Hot

Comments

• ArfashandiArfashandi Frets: 45
    drwiddly said:
    I'm off to Manchester on Wednesday 
    and they were awesome. pity about Eric's voice but the rest of the band were ridiculously good. Jared James Nichols was bloody great, loved mississippi queen cover. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    steveh said:
    Shockingly bad. Worse than the current Jon Bon Jovi. Truly awful.
    So, 3 days later I venture out in Nottingham once more: Robert Plant, Royal Concert Hall.

JHFC, his voice is almost as good as it used to be.

Shockingly good this time. What a pleasant surprise. Great gig.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    Philly_Q said:
    I wouldn't have minded seeing them, but I'm never aware of upcoming gigs until it's too late.  I mean we've got Judas Priest, Saxon and Uriah Heep touring together right now and I really can't fathom why I didn't get a ticket.
    Certainly Birmingham not sold out. I had contemplated it, reliving being 16, but clashes with MrsTheWeary’s birthday. Also slightly worried about how crap Biff and Rob might sound. 
    (Talking about Judas Priest again now)

@EricTheWeary Biff and Rob both sounded pretty damn good I think, although at high volume it's sometimes a bit hard to make out the whole melody and you just hear the high notes...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I wouldn't have minded seeing them, but I'm never aware of upcoming gigs until it's too late.  I mean we've got Judas Priest, Saxon and Uriah Heep touring together right now and I really can't fathom why I didn't get a ticket.
    Certainly Birmingham not sold out. I had contemplated it, reliving being 16, but clashes with MrsTheWeary’s birthday. Also slightly worried about how crap Biff and Rob might sound. 

@EricTheWeary Biff and Rob both sounded pretty damn good I think, although at high volume it's sometimes a bit hard to make out the whole melody and you just hear the high notes...
    I think the Saxon songs have been tuned down a bit over the years to adjust for his voice. 
    They were releasing two albums a year when I was 15,16,17 so I knew all those songs so well. I could still probably singalong anything of that era. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think the Saxon songs have been tuned down a bit over the years to adjust for his voice. 
    They were releasing two albums a year when I was 15,16,17 so I knew all those songs so well. I could still probably singalong anything of that era. 
    Me too, and the vast bulk of the set was taken from those first few albums - plus three (I think) songs from the new album, which I have listened to quite a lot.  There was only one song I couldn't sing along with, even though I don't actually own any of those albums.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Eric Martin has put up an honest announcement on Fb apologising for his voice.
    Vocal shared duties and reinforcement will come from Whitesnake keyboardist and one time Mr.Big Tribute lead singer, Michele Luppi - by his own admission, this once fine vocalist who was touted for Toto, admits his voice is knackered.
    What do you do? Pull the gig/rest of the tour and or Plan B? ^^^^^
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Good call. Way better than cancelling. Dave Grohl would be proud. 

Whitesnake had Dino Jelusick as some kind of auxiliary keyboard player/jack of all trades on their last tour, but essentially he's a lead vocalist and presumably was there to back up Old Cov.  I did wonder if it might end up as a Foreigner-style legacy act with Jelusick on vocals and no original members.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    Michele Luppi from Whitesnake is going to be singing alongside Eric Martin tonight (at Shepards Bush) apparently to support his vocal issues. 
    edited March 23
    Zapple said:
    Michele Luppi from Whitesnake is going to be singing alongside Eric Martin tonight (at Shepards Bush) apparently to support his vocal issues. 
    Here they are at Wolverhampton, looks like they're effectively sharing the lead vocal. 

I didn't realise Eric Martin had morphed into Brian Johnson...

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    I went to Rock City and it was horrific, the band were great. Eric was shocking and probably 1/3 of crowd left early. Cracking kebab on the way home though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Real shame - I've always loved Eric Martin's vocals.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    Kebabkid said:
    Eric Martin has put up an honest announcement on Fb apologising for his voice.
    Vocal shared duties and reinforcement will come from Whitesnake keyboardist and one time Mr.Big Tribute lead singer, Michele Luppi - by his own admission, this once fine vocalist who was touted for Toto, admits his voice is knackered.
    What do you do? Pull the gig/rest of the tour and or Plan B? ^^^^^
    Completely missed your post so apologies for repeating information!
    probably 1/3 of crowd left early.
    What? No they didn’t.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    darius said:
    What? No they didn’t.
    Was it half?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    darius said:
    Well, a few do, to catch trains, avoid the crowds or whatever.  At the Judas Priest gig the other night there were quite a few older people** with walking difficulties who I noticed making a move ten minutes before the end.

(** Let's face it, as an audience we were nearly all older people...)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I left a Biffy Clyro gig early once - I thought they were turd.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    darius said:
    What? No they didn’t.
    We walked in at 8:40 and it was packed, right to the back. We found a space to stand at the back near the bar on the right hand side (looking towards the stage) not much room at all. By half way through loads had gone, by the end there was hardly anyone stood up there and there was plenty of space. 
    Had a couple of trips to stand behind the soundman to see if sounded any better, it didn't and the last time I did it there were only a handful of people stood there. 

If you were towards the front you probably wouldn't have noticed, but stood at the back there was a steady stream leaving all night.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I've sat behind people at a gig who left because they'd heard the song they wanted to hear. I suspect others to avoid the queue off the car park or worried about a babysitter or just bored. It's pretty common. I presume for most people a big gig is a special and expensive night out so it seems surprising but certainly happens.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.