5 Watt World

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
Has Keith Williams ever played guitar on his you tube videos. I quite like his history of guitars stuff but he seems to use other guitarists to demo the guitars he's talking about. His channel is great though. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited March 23
    I think his videos are a monotonic regurgitation of facts about gear that are widely spread on the internet. To be honest I really fail to see the appeal.

Also his motto seems to be most music from the least gear. But the whole channel is literally about gear, not a lot of music content.

I much rather see someone like Tom Bukovac or Jedd Hughes, show us some nice music mixed in with a bit of gear talk.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 35
    I enjoyed the history videos but the streams and such like are absolute garbage.

Gear and gear and gear. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    If I had a YouTube channel, I’d probably get you guys to play guitar on it too…. B)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    I just can't watch him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Dry
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I saw him play in a video he did about upgrading a PRS SE. He’s not a great player…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    He's too busy making his little world there pristine and shiny to bother playing. Looks like a manic obsessive to me.
     He's gets mightily upset when you question his 'facts' and adopts the well I've hundreds of thousands of followers so I must be right RIGHT line...how dare you question my superior knowledge lol. You can see I don't subscribe.....I think he may be AI generated and a dentist. I'll stick with Jedd, Tom and our own Alex Farran

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2943
    I know influencers can make a lot of money, and the narcissists amongst them get even more out of it, but frankly I'd rather work for a living: The constant need to find a new topic that'll generate clicks, the struggle to pad out five minutes of content into 30 minutes, coming up with endless clickbait titles, and then there's the filming and editing to do... and of course, the need to watch countless hours of drivel just so you know what the competition are getting up to. 

Screw that, I'd take the worst day job I ever had over doing that for a living. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I enjoy the histories - even if it is information that available elsewhere, I enjoy his presentation style and I don't particularly want to go out searching obscure facts.

As a product designer, I enjoy the history of guitar development and definitely obsess over gear too much. I'm not a great player but I don't think that that should preclude me from being interested in those things and I admire the fact he recognises his strengths and is willing to outsource his weaknesses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I enjoyed the history videos but the streams and such like are absolute garbage.

Gear and gear and gear. 
    Another fan of his history videos here, really interesting & seem well researched. I haven’t watched any of his other videos tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    enjo said:
    I enjoy the histories - even if it is information that available elsewhere, I enjoy his presentation style and I don't particularly want to go out searching obscure facts.

As a product designer, I enjoy the history of guitar development and definitely obsess over gear too much. I'm not a great player but I don't think that that should preclude me from being interested in those things and I admire the fact he recognises his strengths and is willing to outsource his weaknesses.
    His histories are about as reliable as Wikipedia. They are more opinions than fact. Ask Zac is like that too....mostly nonsense and personal opinion rather than fact. These are like the 'x for Dummies' range of books....not that I've ever made it to the end of a Zac video, he takes way too long to deliver his spiel through his indigestion and drawl. 
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    I like his videos and his ascetic.  If I want to watch someone playing guitar in the manner I like, I’ll watch Pat Metheny or Julian Lage. 
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    It started out “5 watt world” with a slant on how to be minimalist with small amps and a few very select items of gear. 

In the end he’s kind of demonstrated the futility of that approach as he seems to have a new wood library PRS in every second video and his gear flipping has grown arms and legs.

That said I’d watch his channel over many others.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3250
    brooom said:
    I think his videos are a monotonic regurgitation of facts about gear that are from Tony Bacon guitar books...
    Fixed!

First thing I do when a channel gets recommended is look through their video list to see if they are 'worthy'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    It's the kind of youtube content that seriously lacks substance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7243
    edited March 24
    I was seriously disappointed when he grew a full beard right up into his thick moustache around 18 months ago.  Before that, with his tiny neat front-of-chin General Custer goatee and massive broad thick moustache he reminded me of Ned Flanders in appearance and demeanour, and I kept expecting him to say something like "History diddly ho of the Gibsonorino 335", or some other nonsense gibberish.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Its better than KDH when I'm bored 

Ian
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288

Only watch if I'm interested in the subject, then it's usually ok. I have stopped watching recently because he has simply run out of interesting things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Strat54 said:
    He's too busy making his little world there pristine and shiny to bother playing. Looks like a manic obsessive to me.
     He's gets mightily upset when you question his 'facts' and adopts the well I've hundreds of thousands of followers so I must be right RIGHT line...how dare you question my superior knowledge lol. You can see I don't subscribe.....I think he may be AI generated and a dentist. I'll stick with Jedd, Tom and our own Alex Farran

Agreed. Just think he’s similar to Trogly. 

Is he in a band/can he play or does he just talk about it?!

The getting the most from the least gear didn’t last long hahaha! 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    duotone said: 
    Another fan of his history videos here, really interesting & seem well researched. I haven’t watched any of his other videos tbh.
    They're the only ones I watch too really. He barely seems to get a few words out before having to splice his video though. It's like a cross between max headroom and Ned Flanders. I'm glad @BillDL mentioned the similarity to Ned Flanders because the first time I watched 5 watt world I had to do an internet search to see if he was the voice of Ned Flanders and had based the character on himself. Sadly it wasn't. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom