5 Watt World

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I find YouTube a cesspit of AI-generated content and Americans who drag out the video to get as much AD revenue as possible.

The YouTube algorithm has killed the fun and made it stale for the last few years. 

I would agree that Tom Bukovac's videos are a good watch, but he is the exception, as most of these videos are getting dull to watch and full of adverts.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1412
    Gear Youtube is a strange and silly place. Even those who start of well enough descend to the same clickbait-y crap. It's just sales and poor sales at that.

There is stil some watchable "content" but the wider world of music Youtube is a little better and wider Youtube can be good-ish too. Just avoid salestube and the experience gets a little better.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    inewham said:
    Its better than KDH when I'm bored 
    That is the most damning thing I have ever read.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    On the state of Youtube content, Rick Beato gets better and better. His interviews are well worth taking the time, listen as if a radio show as the visuals are unnecessary.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    5W and JHS are quite enjoyable for history type stuff but when they don't have a lot to say really it can get tiresome. However as Motorhead says Rick Beato gets me listening to artists I never paid any attention to or even didn't like, but it's still a good listen...

Ian
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2402
    Just clickbait nonsense, I have zero interest in paying this guys wages. pass. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2155
    This is kind of the problem with guitar youtube. You have to consistently make a video for the algorithm and to keep traffic coming, but the video is often just about 15-20 mins padding on what is probably about a sentences worth of content. A lot of YouTubers are guilty of it. 

I legitimately had a few videos all filmed and ready to put out and I watched them back and was like, what am I ACTUALLY saying here. To be fair, the content of my video, I’d say that most YouTubers would manage to eke out about 10 videos worth of content. 

It’s shit. 

But it’s not entirely their fault either. Gotta feed the algorithm. 

Recently there was an absolute swathe of videos appearing about interface levels when using plugins. A non issue that could be summed up with “adjust the input gain on your interface so the guitar has the appropriate sound for what you’re trying to achieve”. 

Nope. 20-30 minute videos of it being a HUGE ISSUE. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. 

like, c’mon. It’s see through as fuck. 

I barely watch it anymore. I’d rather watch videos on stuff I’m not proficient in or is a completely separate interest. 

I nearly posted a rant about TPS recently but I wasn’t sure how well it would be received. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7244
    Nerine said:

I nearly posted a rant about TPS recently but I wasn’t sure how well it would be received. 
    I would have read it gleefully because I think they're a pair of fannies  :)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    edited March 25
    Nerine said:

Recently there was an absolute swathe of videos appearing about interface levels when using plugins. A non issue that could be summed up with “adjust the input gain on your interface so the guitar has the appropriate sound for what you’re trying to achieve”. 
    Yep, there was another one recently about Phillip Sayce playing a Silver Sky, which he's done for  ages. Why are they all shitting on about it now?

It all reached a particular low point when Tim Pierce gave airtime to that out of tune, barely intermediate fret-botherer who can't work out whether she wants to be a musician or geriatric wank fodder. 

Beato is a real beacon of quality amongst it all, though.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:

Yep, there was another one recently about Phillip Sayce playing a Silver Sky, which he's done for  ages. Why are they all shitting on about it now?

It all reached a particular low point when Tim Piece gave airtime to that out of tune, barely intermediate fret-botherer who can't work out whether she wants to be a musician or geriatric wank fodder. 

Could you be a little more specific? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:

It all reached a particular low point when Tim Piece gave airtime to that out of tune, barely intermediate fret-botherer who can't work out whether she wants to be a musician or geriatric wank fodder. 

Nah, not worth the aggro and sanctimonious accusations of jealousy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7244
    edited March 25
    Lewy said:
    It all reached a particular low point when Tim Piece gave airtime to that out of tune, barely intermediate fret-botherer who can't work out whether she wants to be a musician or geriatric wank fodder. .
    I didn't know Jackie Collins could sing or play the guitar.  Why would Beato have given her airtime? 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Lewy said:
    mrkb said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:

You MUST be talking about Mary Spender....

Talentless and fries my head with her sanctimonious daftness.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22872
    ^^ This thread's become a little more interesting.
    Lewy said:
    mrkb said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:

You MUST be talking about Mary Spender....

Talentless and fries my head with her sanctimonious daftness.
    Ah well no it’s not, and to avoid a further guessing game, it’s “Mimisounds”. And to answer BillDL’s question, no I don’t think Beato would have her on. I’d be aghast if he did. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    ^^ This thread's become a little more interesting.
    What have I done…it’s Mickey Mouse in Fantasia time….
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22872
    Lewy said:
    Ah well no it’s not, and to avoid a further guessing game, it’s “Mimisounds”. And to answer BillDL’s question, no I don’t think Beato would have her on. I’d be aghast if he did. 
    Ah yes, I have seen that video I think.  There's one where she goes to Andertons, as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    TPS and Beato make some content that, err, isn't of interest to me but might be to someone else. And they also make stuff that is of interest to me so playing their videos whilst I do the washing up seems a reasonable amount of support to give to them. The last Beato video I watched was his one about lyrics, it was shite. I think Beato knew it was shite. But gotta have content and the next one along might be interesting. 
    5 Watt I have seen but it does seem to be an also ran channel with no original ideas. There are a lot of these things. A lot. I don't have a brilliant idea for a YouTube channel I'm happy to admit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    mrkb said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:

I’ve always hoped to be both. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Don't take this the wrong way, I've been guilty of  moaning about youtubers in the past. 

I have started to think to myself, "it's like pissing against a cliff. You aren't going to make a dent, and you'll just end up with piss on yourself".

Don't like it, move on life is too short. I'm not a fan of 5w world, he seems to counter his channels ethos "most amount of music with the least amount of gear".
     Except we all want to see the latest shiny thing, going over scales and practical applications of ear training isn't as sexy as another new guitar toy.

And i understand the agitation against female youtubers  "she doesn't even know her modes yadda yadda, it's just horny men blah blah" 
     again who cares??? if they encourage one person to play a guitar that is all that matters. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.