Gibson Quality

What's Hot

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2520
    I’ve seen enough Gibsons in my time to know that those flaws are unusually bad even by their standards, and I haven’t seen enough of the guy who posted the video to take whatever he says at face value
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    @SixStringSage you've gone a long way round to say, I don't believe this guy is telling the truth!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 233
    @SixStringSage you've gone a long way round to say, I don't believe this guy is telling the truth!
    except they've not said that have they? maybe you should have gone a longer way round and read what they're actually saying...
    edited April 3
    notsopro said:
    except they've not said that have they? maybe you should have gone a longer way round and read what they're actually saying...
    Well he's not exactly saying he believes him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    As someone who got loads of abuse for posting up a Murphy lab back refinish, I couldn't care less about Gibson and the shit they put out, I can't wait to get the bloody guitar out my workshop and I got told the G doesn't stay in tune, like WTF, I didn't even post up the gap between the headstock veneer and neck, just shocking, hopefully I'll never see another one.

As prices go ever higher people might start looking elsewhere, they'll get something better for much less imo.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10656
    edited April 3 tFB Trader
    Now lets see ... do we trust a company that does this for publicity ... or a random YouTuber who may or may not be posting for publicity ... 
    https://youtu.be/dd7ySopIwog
    Gotta love a conspiracy theory :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    I watched all of it. Absolutely shocking, so many flaws, some minor, some major, but far too many collectively. Gibson are taking the piss and there simply cannot be any effective QC. A mate of mine who’s a big LP man will only look at ones from around 2004, now I understand why. These new ones are just crap. 

My money would be going on Eastman or Tokai if buying new, or indeed used in a lot of circumstances.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 861
    Surely this is just symptomatic of the pervasive culture of the organisation ... remember a few months back when we were discussing the Anderton's factory tour videos ... I certainly expressed my opinions on the subject then and they haven't changed.

To my mind, until they fix their operating culture they will always fall foul to these periods of shocking quality and customer experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    That's pretty bad if it's a real new Gibson.

I bought one of the 2015 ones when they went on sale for ridiculously low prices (I think I paid in the region of £370 for a Les Paul Special Doublecut with hardcase), and while it had some minor QC issues that I've never seen on a Fender for example (the binding hadn't been well scraped or the binding channel routed slightly too deep and left a "step" you could feel between it and the paint colour in places on the neck) it was much better than the guitar in the video.
    My Derek Trucks SG was literally faultless when I bought it too.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    edited April 3
    notsopro said:

Thank you — I've been trying hard to make my comments sound balanced, and not like I'm trying to give Gibson (or any company) a free pass.

notsopro said:
    Well he's not exactly saying he believes him!

I thought I'd been quite transparent. My posts on page 3 probably sum up everything I think on the subject.

I have said I won't accuse the guy of lying. I don't know him, and that would be grossly unfair of me.

That doesn't mean he therefore is telling the truth. It means I can't confirm or deny his claims, so I'm neutral on them. The rest of the conversation has been general discussion to try and decide how robust his claims are, and the likelihood of what he's saying being exactly what happened.

There are a few problems in his story that give me pause for thought. In addition to those problems is my own experience with Gibson, which couldn't be any further away from this guy's. And in further addition, this is somebody that appears to be an unknown quantity, and he has provided exactly zero proof. So my conclusion is rather neutral: his experience is his own, mine is my own, and he hasn't given me enough evidence to think I need to avoid Gibson in future. To repeat the question I asked earlier, why would I believe everything he said at face value? Because that's what is being suggested isn't it — "here's a stranger, he's got a barren YouTube channel and is posting a guitar video on his business profile, but there can't be any self-interest at play so don't worry. Anyway he's got a story with some eyebrow-raising claims, and no proof for any of them, but you shouldn't have any problems believing that story."

Let's take a devil's advocate approach to this, like we used to have to do for debate class in school. If you rewatch the video with a critical eye you'll notice that the camera doesn't zoom in onto the flaws, so we never even see that those flaws are on a Gibson. How do we know the photos are his? How do we know they're from one guitar, let alone the specific one he's holding? How do we know it's a new guitar — Goldtop 50s Standards aren't new releases for 2024? How do we know it's from Gibson? How do we know he played half a dozen others in the shop and they were all bad? How do we know he's not a disgruntled ex-employee, or the husband/father/uncle/brother of a disgruntled ex-employee, and he's trying to take a shot at Gibson? How do we know that he isn't going to announce his own guitar brand next week to his newfound audience of guitar players who are annoyed at Gibson?

There's one answer to all of those questions: we don't. 

So, no. Excuse me but I won't start throwing anger towards a company on the back of a stranger's unsubstantiated claims, especially when they run counter to my own observances over a prolonged period of time and have multiple snags that question the honesty of the story. (And the paragraph above is just hypotheticals to hammer the point that we don't know anything for sure, not an accusation that he genuinely is disgruntled and lying. I don't know, you don't know, nobody but Linny knows, so we could give Gibson the benefit of the doubt until we get an update.)
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    euan said:
    I’m am baffled why you saying he says the guitar isn’t new as if he got it from somewhere else. It was manufactured in January. He got it from Gibson as a replacement for a low quality new guitar. If he got the guitar from Gibson with the faults pictured, it has poor QC. 
    I'm not saying it - HE said it, I'm repeating it. I haven't said it isn't poor QC, I've said that by his own admission we don't know what the guitar's history is and whether someone did things they shouldn't have. Sure, that doesn't mean Gibson should have sent it to him but we don't know any of that either. This is a random guy on the internet telling us things without offering any evidence of it. We don't see him open the box, we don't see the guitar's serial number, we are just listening to a stranger and assuming he's being entirely honest.
    But we do know one important fact about the guitar's history: It was sent by Gibson as a replacement for a guitar bought new from a store. The guy is saying he doesn't think it's 'new' because he thinks Gibson chucked a return at him... But it's still all about Gibson's QC; as far as Gibson were concerned it was meant to be a new guitar.

It sounds as though you've never come across a poor quality Gibson - which is entirely feasible, remember there's a massive difference between poor quality control and poor quality!

FWIW, here's another story from a guy on the internet (me). I bought an SG from Thomann in 2016, it was the most expensive model in the SG range that year (so not a cheap budget guitar). It had multiple flaws, the worst of which was glue on the fretboard. Thomann were helpful, offering a return & refund, or an exchange, but they warned that their stock may not be any better than the one sent to me (make of that what you will). Not wanting to take a chance on something worse, I dealt with Gibson Europe (who were pretty crap initially, but woke up a bit when they saw the photos I sent). They arranged for an approved luthier to rectify all the defects. But it was poor QC that let that SG leave the factory, rather than being sorted first.

So yes, crap Gibsons exist  in the wild, and also you can end up dealing directly with Gibson to try to resolve issues. Here's the fretboard photo, the issue extended over more than this length:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    Bigsby said:
    euan said:
    I’m am baffled why you saying he says the guitar isn’t new as if he got it from somewhere else. It was manufactured in January. He got it from Gibson as a replacement for a low quality new guitar. If he got the guitar from Gibson with the faults pictured, it has poor QC. 
    I'm not saying it - HE said it, I'm repeating it. I haven't said it isn't poor QC, I've said that by his own admission we don't know what the guitar's history is and whether someone did things they shouldn't have. Sure, that doesn't mean Gibson should have sent it to him but we don't know any of that either. This is a random guy on the internet telling us things without offering any evidence of it. We don't see him open the box, we don't see the guitar's serial number, we are just listening to a stranger and assuming he's being entirely honest.
    But we do know one important fact about the guitar's history: It was sent by Gibson as a replacement for a guitar bought new from a store. The guy is saying he doesn't think it's 'new' because he thinks Gibson chucked a return at him... But it's still all about Gibson's QC; as far as Gibson were concerned it was meant to be a new guitar.

It sounds as though you've never come across a poor quality Gibson - which is entirely feasible, remember there's a massive difference between poor quality control and poor quality!

FWIW, here's another story from a guy on the internet (me). I bought an SG from Thomann in 2016, it was the most expensive model in the SG range that year (so not a cheap budget guitar). It had multiple flaws, the worst of which was glue on the fretboard. Thomann were helpful, offering a return & refund, or an exchange, but they warned that their stock may not be any better than the one sent to me (make of that what you will). Not wanting to take a chance on something worse, I dealt with Gibson Europe (who were pretty crap initially, but woke up a bit when they saw the photos I sent). They arranged for an approved luthier to rectify all the defects. But it was poor QC that let that SG leave the factory, rather than being sorted first.

So yes, crap Gibsons exist  in the wild, and also you can end up dealing directly with Gibson to try to resolve issues. Here's the fretboard photo, the issue extended over more than this length:

Sure, and I've already said that everyone, myself included, is aware Gibson releases guitars with QC issues - and the guitar in the video is a dog of a guitar if it's as it's claimed to be. What I haven't seen are issues to the extent of the video, nor the frequency of those issues meaning that he ran through a shop's entire stock unable to find a good one. 

"But we do know one important fact about the guitar's history: It was sent by Gibson as a replacement for a guitar bought new from a store. The guy is saying he doesn't think it's 'new' because he thinks Gibson chucked a return at him... But it's still all about Gibson's QC; as far as Gibson were concerned it was meant to be a new guitar."

We don't know this though. That's what the guy in the video has told us, but we don't know it's true.

"
    I dealt with Gibson Europe (who were pretty crap initially, but woke up a bit when they saw the photos I sent). They arranged for an approved luthier to rectify all the defects"

Can you tell us more about this? You contacted Gibson directly, and they gave you an approved luthier? That would seem to still be significantly different to this video, but if I'm wrong that Gibson sends people through their dealership network then I am happy to stand corrected.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    The only two Gibsons ,a 2015 MIdtown on blowout and a 2014 Melody Maker , I  have owned were both fine  and I am fussy though tend to correct stuff myself if possible .
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    Bigsby said:
    euan said:

Sure, and I've already said that everyone, myself included, is aware Gibson releases guitars with QC issues - and the guitar in the video is a dog of a guitar if it's as it's claimed to be. What I haven't seen are issues to the extent of the video, nor the frequency of those issues meaning that he ran through a shop's entire stock unable to find a good one. 

"But we do know one important fact about the guitar's history: It was sent by Gibson as a replacement for a guitar bought new from a store. The guy is saying he doesn't think it's 'new' because he thinks Gibson chucked a return at him... But it's still all about Gibson's QC; as far as Gibson were concerned it was meant to be a new guitar."

We don't know this though. That's what the guy in the video has told us, but we don't know it's true.

"I dealt with Gibson Europe (who were pretty crap initially, but woke up a bit when they saw the photos I sent). They arranged for an approved luthier to rectify all the defects"

Can you tell us more about this? You contacted Gibson directly, and they gave you an approved luthier? That would seem to still be significantly different to this video, but if I'm wrong that Gibson sends people through their dealership network then I am happy to stand corrected.
    "That's what the guy in the video has told us, but we don't know it's true."

You've been arguing that the guy says it's not new, therefore it can't be taken as an example of a new Gibson. Whereas the guy is actually saying Gibson sent a replacement 'new' guitar that doesn't seem to be new (plastic removed from scratch plate, etc.), as such it is representative of a new Gibson (from Gibson''s perspective).  But now you're saying he's a liar... 

"Can you tell us more about this? You contacted Gibson directly, and they gave you an approved luthier? That would seem to still be significantly different to this video..."

Yes and yes. In my situation Gibson Europe didn't have any more of these guitars to ship (it was a limited run), so there was no option to have Gibson send me anything. The eventual choices were: Return & refund from dealer, Exchange from dealer (with the dealer not optimistic about that option working out well), Gibson pay an approved luthier to do what they should've done at the factory. I think it would've been feasible for Gibson to take responsibility and send a non-defective guitar if they'd been in stock, that would've been cheaper than delivery to luthier, pay luthier, and delivery to me. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    I love my SG. Being honest I couldn't afford a custom shop 335 and a black les paul custom.
    I have two mij tokais that tick those boxes, and even if I sold both of them I couldn't afford one of those authentic guitars. 
    Fact of the matter is, certain people want a guitar with Gibson on the headstock. So they can produce as much junk as they want. That les paul is still profitable product. 
    PRS are known for being immaculately built, its part and parcel of the brand. 
    You shouldnt charge premium prices and then deliver inferior goods. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5533
    edited April 3
    Offset said:

I agree there are some aspects of this episode which raise eyebrows.  But why would Gibson exchange a new guitar for one that looks like B-stock or a customer return???  It just doesn't stack up.

Anyone who has ever worked in warehousing knows that this is perfectly normal for many companies. Common as mud. It doesn't happen in well-run companies, of course, but we have no grounds for thinking Gibson is well run, and every reason to expect this sort of screw-up.

It works like this.

Bloggs is in charge of the returns section of the warehouse. Bloggs is overworked (because the bean counters think "returns is not profitable core business, cutting its budget is good management" and they don't give him enough staff, not do they give him enough space). So Bloggs has too much work, not enough staff, and is under-resourced. His department is a mess for those reasons, and also because Bloggs is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - that's why he ended up getting shunted into returns in the first place. (Warehouses always put the least-productive worker into returns, it gets him or her out of the way of the mainstream team and makes him less annoying.)

Bloggs' performance reviews centre on how many items he has in his section of the warehouse. If Bloggs can ship stuff out fast enough - supposedly fixed and returned to as-new condition - he gets an uptick on his performance review and - just maybe but don't hold your breath - a promotion out of the returns department, which is of course a career dead-end.

Bloggs has ever reason to cut corners. He sometimes (in the worst-run places, often) ships stuff out which is still faulty, either because he hasn't tested it properly (he is overworked and under-resourced, so nothing gets done properly) or sometimes because he hopes the customer won't notice. Either way it clears his desk, at least for a few weeks, and does no harm (to Bloggs). Either the customer returns it again (leaving Bloggs no worse off than he started), or doesn't notice the new, different fault because the first fault on the original item is fixed (you'd be amazed what people miss!) or else he just gives up and keeps the faulty item because he is sick of hanging around on the telephone getting RMA numbers and packing stuff off. (This is a win for Bloggs. One less to worry about!)

Do you think this is cynical? Then you have not worked in warehousing. (Or, just possibly, worked in warehousing but for a very good company which gets returns right. Lucky you!)

Trust me, this is exactly how it works. I worked as a storeman, later on (after taking time out to go to university) in warehouse management, and after that spent 25 years in retail, dealing with return departments regularly. (Well, actually delegating most of that to - you guessed it - to the staff member least likely to be productive in other roles. Slow, reliable plodders do returns best. Quick-witted, active workers get frustrated and screw it up.) 

In these days of Internet retail, returns must be a far bigger problem than they were even in my day. Managing returns well always used to be the mark of a quality company. I dare say it still is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7385
    I think we'll have to call in the Metropolitan Police Serious Doubt Squad to get to the bottom of this intriguing alleged subterfuge.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    I have had a few years in the wilderness but it’s great to see the same old threads from the Radar days - Gibson are shit and PRS’s are for dentists. 

I suggest , the wilderness for a wee while. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 4

And what's happening with the headstock, it looks like someone has got white paint drops on it? https://imgur.com/a/9Uhrpwp

The white paint drops on the headstock you refer to are dust particles and reflections of bright light. You get this with close up photography.
    edited April 4
    Bigsby said:

"That's what the guy in the video has told us, but we don't know it's true."

You've been arguing that the guy says it's not new, therefore it can't be taken as an example of a new Gibson. Whereas the guy is actually saying Gibson sent a replacement 'new' guitar that doesn't seem to be new (plastic removed from scratch plate, etc.), as such it is representative of a new Gibson (from Gibson''s perspective).  But now you're saying he's a liar... 

That's not quite right. I haven't said he's a liar, I've said I don't (yet) find the story convincing. Nor have I said the guitar was not sent as new, and if it was then of course blame is with Gibson. The "new/not new" thing is important, as I see it, because there is a difference between a guitar that leaves the factory in that condition and a guitar that has been mis-treated subsequently.

So yes, 100% Gibson's fault if they sent him that guitar. But no, not necessarily indicative of Gibson's QC of what leaves the factory. I'm only honing in on this because it was explicitly stated in the video, by the way. I've not waded in to say "well hold on guys, maybe this guitar isn't new." The guy looked in the camera and told us he doesn't know what it was but it has clear signs of not being brand new.
    Bigsby said:

"Can you tell us more about this? You contacted Gibson directly, and they gave you an approved luthier? That would seem to still be significantly different to this video..."

Yes and yes. In my situation Gibson Europe didn't have any more of these guitars to ship (it was a limited run), so there was no option to have Gibson send me anything. The eventual choices were: Return & refund from dealer, Exchange from dealer (with the dealer not optimistic about that option working out well), Gibson pay an approved luthier to do what they should've done at the factory. I think it would've been feasible for Gibson to take responsibility and send a non-defective guitar if they'd been in stock, that would've been cheaper than delivery to luthier, pay luthier, and delivery to me. 

Ok but compare what you've just said to what Linny said: Gibson offered you an exchange through the dealer. That's exactly what happened to me too. Linny is saying that he took his dealer-purchased guitar then bypassed the dealer to get multiple exchanges from Gibson directly. I'm not saying he's lying, I'm saying this is the opposite of what I've ever heard about Gibson's policy and until more details are given, I can't take it at face value.

And what's happening with the headstock, it looks like someone has got white paint drops on it? https://imgur.com/a/9Uhrpwp

The white paint drops on the headstock you refer to are dust particles and reflections of bright light. You get this with close up photography.
    I see this all the time on my own headstocks and it was my first thought. But I'm not sure - look at the left side of the truss rod cover as we see it, between the B and G strings, it looks like the white is smudged. Likewise the edge of the headstock past the high E string, those white marks look thick like paint drops. 

It's possible it's just zoomed in more I guess, but it doesn't look quite like the dust particles that I've seen in my own photos.
This discussion has been closed.