Gibson Quality

What's Hot

Comments

• SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    Bigsby said:

"...when the retailer contacted them about the finish problem, Gibson said they had none left but offered to send me a replacement 2013 model..." So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you were always dealing with this via the dealer, even when Gibson were involved in providing the replacement. And from that you're assuming that this is the only way it can work?

"from that you're assuming that this is the only way it can work" — no it's not an assumption from that lone experience. As I've previously said, this is what has been explained to me from retailers, as recently as this week. 

You are correct that I was always dealing with them via the dealer. That is my entire point, in fact. The shop where I bought the guitar was responsible for liaising with Gibson.

Bigsby said:

Did Gibson say they would've offered me a replacement if they'd had one? Really, you're asking that? It would've been a pointless conversation to have... but it was about seven years ago, I don't recall such a comment, maybe they did... or maybe not.  But, as an alternative viewpoint, if they'd had a warehouse full of them, do you really think they'd have offered to pay for repairs by a luthier, rather than sending a replacement? 

There was never any question of a different model being acceptable. It would've been ridiculous: The whole point was that I wanted that specific model. Again, I don't recall such an offer, but it would've been declined immediately and probably forgotten soon after. 

Of course I'm asking that, it is literally the question I have been asking since last night, because if Gibson doesn't do that then it raises a question mark for Linny, and if they do in fact do it then it doesn't raise a question mark for Linny. And, to repeat myself yet again, the reason I ask the question is because it is the opposite of my personal experience and what my Gibson "authorised dealer" has told me. 

Do I think Gibson would have sent a replacement? Well yes, I do, because I've had one from them. But the crucial bit is whether they would send it to you, personally, or to the shop. 

The question has absolutely nothing to do with what answer you would have given them, it's about what Gibson was prepared to do. And on the one hand you're here with an attitude about my questions and all but calling them absurd, while simultaneously admitting you don't remember what Gibson said with regards to a replacement. 

I'm not the only person in this thread to question whether Linny really went directly to Gibson when he was a customer of a shop. It's an important detail in his story. Yet, nobody has confirmed they've had a similar encounter with Gibson - so until they do, I will continue to have some doubt about it. That's reasonable, is it not?

Bigsby said:

Bottom line: Once I spoke to Gibson the dealer was no longer involved in any way. That actually happened, according to some bloke on the internet (me) that you probably don't want to believe. :) 

Hope that's cleared things up.
    Please don't suggest I don't want to believe you. You are doing the same thing I am doing, which is being led by our personal past experiences instead of immediately assuming the words of a stranger (Linny, in my case) — and I think you're right to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2164
    Get a good one though and it’ll likely go to the grave with you… 

Theres no need to buy one that isn’t finished well. Go play some, try some, research some, use return policies etc. 

It’s weird. No one that buys a Les Paul with finish or QC issues has to keep it. Return it. No issue. 

Like the QC doesn’t actually affect you if you don’t let it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nerine said:
    Get a good one though and it’ll likely go to the grave with you… 

Theres no need to buy one that isn’t finished well. Go play some, try some, research some, use return policies etc. 

It’s weird. No one that buys a Les Paul with finish or QC issues has to keep it. Return it. No issue. 

Like the QC doesn’t actually affect you if you don’t let it. 
    Pfft, this is 2024! Why quietly go about your business when you can get thousands of views on your business selling guitar straps by throwing unsubstantiated claims at one of the biggest names in the industry, while hilariously declaring that you aren't taking a pop at them?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    Agreed, just too funny. Loving the product placement with the two leather bags behind. Looking at his lack of subscribers to both this channel and his Custom Made leather one he's clearly trying to gain exposure whilst pointing out the obvious. Their social media pages are in need of a boost too....now go get them leather straps and pray to god they don't react with your Murphy Lab's finish......
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Having stripped the back of a Murphy my opinion is they couldn't give a shit, it is the worst LP I've refinished too.

If it comes across as though I'm attacking Gibson then you'd be right, considering the costs they better be damn near perfect and at least come set up and stay in tune, play authentic LMAO.

What was wrong with it? I didn't like any of the lighter finishing on the Murphy models I played, particularly as they even come with a little warning in the case that the finish is more brittle and prone to additional wear. Fortunately the VOS were all superb though (this thread had me going back to inspect mine and it's flawless)
    You obviously missed all the fun, I posted up a clip taking gaffer tape to the back of the neck because it was falling off long before I got it, I've had to be so careful masking up and even then the fucking finish has peeled off on the logo, this is the lowest tack btw and putting it on my clothes, the front will fall off at some point imo.
    Then I found a gap between the headstock veneer and neck and they just left it, you couldn't see any grain whatsoever on the back not even the maple it was that dark, it was a nightmare to get clean, lesson learned double the price next time, I've still got to sort the headstock that wasn't part of the job, to say I'm pissed off is an understatement.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    Bigsby said:

"...when the retailer contacted them about the finish problem, Gibson said they had none left but offered to send me a replacement 2013 model..." So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you were always dealing with this via the dealer, even when Gibson were involved in providing the replacement. And from that you're assuming that this is the only way it can work?

"from that you're assuming that this is the only way it can work" — no it's not an assumption from that lone experience. As I've previously said, this is what has been explained to me from retailers, as recently as this week. 

You are correct that I was always dealing with them via the dealer. That is my entire point, in fact. The shop where I bought the guitar was responsible for liaising with Gibson.

Bigsby said:

Did Gibson say they would've offered me a replacement if they'd had one? Really, you're asking that? It would've been a pointless conversation to have... but it was about seven years ago, I don't recall such a comment, maybe they did... or maybe not.  But, as an alternative viewpoint, if they'd had a warehouse full of them, do you really think they'd have offered to pay for repairs by a luthier, rather than sending a replacement? 

There was never any question of a different model being acceptable. It would've been ridiculous: The whole point was that I wanted that specific model. Again, I don't recall such an offer, but it would've been declined immediately and probably forgotten soon after. 

Of course I'm asking that, it is literally the question I have been asking since last night, because if Gibson doesn't do that then it raises a question mark for Linny, and if they do in fact do it then it doesn't raise a question mark for Linny. And, to repeat myself yet again, the reason I ask the question is because it is the opposite of my personal experience and what my Gibson "authorised dealer" has told me. 

Do I think Gibson would have sent a replacement? Well yes, I do, because I've had one from them. But the crucial bit is whether they would send it to you, personally, or to the shop. 

The question has absolutely nothing to do with what answer you would have given them, it's about what Gibson was prepared to do. And on the one hand you're here with an attitude about my questions and all but calling them absurd, while simultaneously admitting you don't remember what Gibson said with regards to a replacement. 

I'm not the only person in this thread to question whether Linny really went directly to Gibson when he was a customer of a shop. It's an important detail in his story. Yet, nobody has confirmed they've had a similar encounter with Gibson - so until they do, I will continue to have some doubt about it. That's reasonable, is it not?

Bigsby said:

Bottom line: Once I spoke to Gibson the dealer was no longer involved in any way. That actually happened, according to some bloke on the internet (me) that you probably don't want to believe. :) 

Hope that's cleared things up.
    Please don't suggest I don't want to believe you. You are doing the same thing I am doing, which is being led by our personal past experiences instead of immediately assuming the words of a stranger (Linny, in my case) — and I think you're right to do it.
    Once again, after their initial offer, the shop were not involved, and that is the point: You can deal with Gibson directly, even though you haven't done so yourself. And beyond that, Gibson had no reason to offer a replacement they didn't have, it would've been silly to do so.
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 231
    Having stripped the back of a Murphy my opinion is they couldn't give a shit, it is the worst LP I've refinished too.

If it comes across as though I'm attacking Gibson then you'd be right, considering the costs they better be damn near perfect and at least come set up and stay in tune, play authentic LMAO.

What was wrong with it? I didn't like any of the lighter finishing on the Murphy models I played, particularly as they even come with a little warning in the case that the finish is more brittle and prone to additional wear. Fortunately the VOS were all superb though (this thread had me going back to inspect mine and it's flawless)
    You obviously missed all the fun, I posted up a clip taking gaffer tape to the back of the neck because it was falling off long before I got it, I've had to be so careful masking up and even then the fucking finish has peeled off on the logo, this is the lowest tack btw and putting it on my clothes, the front will fall off at some point imo.
    Then I found a gap between the headstock veneer and neck and they just left it, you couldn't see any grain whatsoever on the back not even the maple it was that dark, it was a nightmare to get clean, lesson learned double the price next time, I've still got to sort the headstock that wasn't part of the job, to say I'm pissed off is an understatement.
    that seems the right tool for the job right... bit of gaffer tape to the back of a guitar neck, have a right chuckle about it stick it on Instagram. perfectly normal behavior from a fellow luthier.
    Bigsby said:

Once again, after their initial offer, the shop were not involved, and that is the point: You can deal with Gibson directly, even though you haven't done so yourself. And beyond that, Gibson had no reason to offer a replacement they didn't have, it would've been silly to do so.
    ok so just to summarise then:

- Gibson didn't offer you a replacement and you didn't ask for one
    - your experience doesn't validate Linny's version of events

Lol. At least you've stopped pretending.
    I assume this is aimed at me? Although I don't know what I'm pretending over.
    Haven't I been open that I have my concerns about what the video claims?
    Haven't I used hyperbole to demonstrate that the photos of damage never once are shown to be on the actual guitar being held, and could belong to a completely different non-Gibson guitar?
    Haven't I pointed out that his channel history, subscriber-to-views ratio, and line of business gives him an incentive to make a controversial video?
    Have I not also pointed out that his subsequent (and latest) video is now taking aim at CTS pots, seemingly following the well-trodden path of using controversy to grow online? 
    Haven't I shared my own experiences and why they raise doubts for me?
    Haven't I said why I am suspicious that he goes to a shop that can't get a single decent quality Gibson sent to it?

And maybe most importantly, haven't I made the effort to say the difference between "this guy is lying" and "this story needs some further details before I'll believe it"?

Eesh! Out of interest was this during the notorious 'flaking finish' phase a few years ago, which they originally tried to blame the players for? 

tFB Trader
    notsopro said:

that seems the right tool for the job right... bit of gaffer tape to the back of a guitar neck, have a right chuckle about it stick it on Instagram. perfectly normal behavior from a fellow luthier.
    Lol I've said before the chuckle Is disbelief and I really don't care what you think, you're not the one dealing with it, this also helps others who finish seeing what I'm dealing with and they can charge accordingly.

I won't be doing anymore of these unless they're paying double and that's if I fancy doing it.

They did not accept this back from the original customer so they get all the flack they deserve imo.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2495
    It wasn’t the original customer though was it, it’s since been established that the current owner bought it used - hence why Gibson had no reason to accept it back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    notsopro said:

Lol I've said before the chuckle Is disbelief and I really don't care what you think, you're not the one dealing with it, this also helps others who finish seeing what I'm dealing with and they can charge accordingly.

I won't be doing anymore of these unless they're paying double and that's if I fancy doing it.

They did not accept this back from the original customer so they get all the flack they deserve imo.
    I just found that thread, but it says the video had been deleted. Do you have the video or photos anywhere still?

From what I read on the thread, the guitar went to your customer because the original owner didn't like the finish. Gibson's warranty is pretty clear on this in fairness, it's a lifetime warranty to the original owner but is non-transferable. 
    edited April 4
    notsopro said:

with the greatest of respect I don't think other Luthiers are watching your Instagram with a view of getting an idea of pricing. I'm sure you don't care what I think, but as discussed in your thread this isn't your forum and you can't silence people who don't agree with you. 

With regards to charging double, does this also apply to the Gibson style guitars that are advertised on your website? I do find it a little interesting that someone with your views on Gibson is happy to 'advertise' guitars that look like they're very much inspired by Gibson.. or am I misreading what a 'Royal 59' might be based on?

last point, elstoof has addressed.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    To be fair to Gibson they’re churning out 400+ a day of these things so if one a week is really a bit shit….so what.  

Out of those 400+ a day there’ll always be some great ones, a lot of average ones and a few dogs. 

If you want a good Les Paul with a Gibson logo on the head, keep looking, one will turn up eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    notsopro said:
    notsopro said:

with the greatest of respect I don't think other Luthiers are watching your Instagram with a view of getting an idea of pricing. I'm sure you don't care what I think, but as discussed in your thread this isn't your forum and you can't silence people who don't agree with you. 

With regards to charging double, does this also apply to the Gibson style guitars that are advertised on your website? I do find it a little interesting that someone with your views on Gibson is happy to 'advertise' guitars that look like they're very much inspired by Gibson.. or am I misreading what a 'Royal 59' might be based on?

If you bothered to look at my single cuts you'll see they're built nothing like a Gibson in every way, it's a single cut carved top, bigsby made a single cut before gibson, they didn't just dream that shape up imo, I actually prefer my offsets these days.

My point still stands about gibson not dealing with the original owner, the finish just got worse and the headstock veneer gap was there from day one and they let that go.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    notsopro said:
    notsopro said:

If you bothered to look at my single cuts you'll see they're built nothing like a Gibson in every way, it's a single cut carved top, bigsby made a single cut before gibson, they didn't just dream that shape up imo, I actually prefer my offsets these days.

My point still stands about gibson not dealing with the original owner, the finish just got worse and the headstock veneer gap was there from day one and they let that go.
    To try and keep this on track with this thread, I think we all agree that Gibson releases some guitars that shouldn't have been released, and Murphy Lab guitars in particular have had "issues" over the years. Some customers were made right, I've no doubt some weren't, but when we're talking about a specific individual with 4 degrees of separation (us the reader - Daniel the luthier - his customer - the original owner) we're never going to know the details.

There is still a stark difference with Linny's situation though, where he's evidently trying to grow online channels and is making a bold claim that he can't find a single Gibson to his standards and Gibson can't send him one either — and we're not only supposed to believe this stranger who's appeared from nowhere, but I'm being downright unreasonable to point out that we don't necessarily need to rush to judgement off the back of the video.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    So we're saying Gibson QC isn't very good? 

"Filthy appalachian goblin."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    notsopro said:
    notsopro said:

ok, so I've had a look, and yes your right they're nothing like Gibson. 

It's called a Royal 59, PAF style pickups, maple top "vintage spec burst front", ABR 1 bridge, binding all round, knobs and switches all in the 'only' place you can put them on a single cut. 

Yeah, you're right, sorry my bad, it's nothing like a Gibson.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491

There is still a stark difference with Linny's situation though, where he's evidently trying to grow online channels and is making a bold claim that he can't find a single Gibson to his standards and Gibson can't send him one either — and we're not only supposed to believe this stranger who's appeared from nowhere, but I'm being downright unreasonable to point out that we don't necessarily need to rush to judgement off the back of the video.
    If you repeat something over and over it doesn’t make it true.

I have as much proof to say you are astroturfing for Gibson as you have to say he is creating false controversy to gain exposure for his products. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9316

Hang on a second. 
    Isn’t your Les Paul copy double the price of a factory model from Gibson?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.