Guitar brands that...

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
edited April 6 in Guitar
Didn't or haven't managed to obtain the recognition that they deserve.

There's a lot, but I think the most obvious for me is Peerless; Yamaha-level QC at half the price, with possibly the bridge pickup letting them down (actually similar to Yamaha's SG).

Several others spring to mind, but who do you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fret King
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    Maverick, although those roller controls were odd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I wasn't mad impressed with the Maverick I tried. For the same money you could have an Ibanez RG570, which was far superior. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1089
    I always thought Schecter deserved to be more popular than their current status. 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    Godin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1089
    edited April 6
    GuyR said:
    Godin
    Is it pronounced "Go-DIN" or "Go-DAN"? Isn't it a French name? 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Grover Jackson's new company makes great guitars, but compared to Jackson they're not even playing on the same pitch.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    Not so much brands which never got recognition, but I can think of a few which seemed to have a strong brand identity and decent market share at one point, but then fell by the wayside... Aria Pro II, Washburn and at a slightly lower price level, Westone.  And in the USA, there was Hamer of course.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 701
    Washburn; I've always been a big fan of them. The MG-7x series were actually excellent superstrats (I gigged with an MG-74 a lot) and I have a ~1990 WP-50, which is a bloody excellent LP clone. Also, the 'Tonewood' superstrat series had speed necks that made Ibanez RGs feel like the Jeff Beck Strat.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Philly_Q said:
    Not so much brands which never got recognition, but I can think of a few which seemed to have a strong brand identity and decent market share at one point, but then fell by the wayside... Aria Pro II, Washburn and at a slightly lower price level, Westone.  And in the USA, there was Hamer of course.
    My Washburn dreadnought acoustic (around £250 in 2005) has been fantastic value, and sounds great.

My old housemate had a Westone which sounded BRILLIANT but weighed an absolute ton. I’d guess over 10lbs.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    GuyR said:
    Godin
    Indeed. 

Great guitars, often super-cheap S/H (not that I’m complaining!)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    GuyR said:
    Godin
    Ia it pronounced "Go-DIN" or "Go-DAN"? Isn't it a French name? 
    Pretty sure it’s Goh-Dan. I know a couple of people with them and they both pronounce it that way.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Fret King
    Always ruined by the bat-wing headstock and scratchplate designs. IMHO worse than bird inlays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 130
    Philly_Q said:

I think the japanese made Aria, Washburn & Westone guitars were all excellent, but the quality suffered when they moved manufacturing, firstly to Korea, and then, China.
    Obvious one is G&L.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    Absolutely Godin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    HAL9000 said:

Fret King
    Always ruined by the bat-wing headstock and scratchplate designs. IMHO worse than bird inlays.
    I take it you mean the Fender type models? IMHO bird inlays are waaay more off putting.

But vive la difference & all that  ;)
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Reverend seem pretty decent but are fugly.

Duesenberg are superb (well, the small number I’ve tried were) but people are often sniffy about them because it’s a bit hazy where they’re made/assembled/whatever.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Dan_Halen said:
    Reverend seem pretty decent but are fugly.

Duesenberg are superb (well, the small number I’ve tried were) but people are often sniffy about them because it’s a bit hazy where they’re made/assembled/whatever.
    Well it’s quite clear they’re Korean/Croatian….sniff away! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Fret King
    I spoke to Trev Wilkinson on the phone last year and you could tell that he was disappointed that the UK made Green Label / Stvdio / Atelier range didn't get a foothold. I think the Korean made Blue Label was the best value for money. The new ones are made in India. When they came out in Guitarist magazine back in 2005 or something, I genuinely thought they would stay. The neck profiles are some of the best I've played.
    DiscoStu said:
    Absolutely Godin.
    Godins are made of some really nice timber (particularly the old Artisans) but I don't like those with the name carved in the pickguard - Merchant City Music had some and just that part looked a bit scruffy.
    I always thought Schecter deserved to be more popular than their current status. 
    Always heard people rave about the Korean models but just need to make it past the nu-metal looks.
    Grover Jackson's new company makes great guitars, but compared to Jackson they're not even playing on the same pitch.
    If you mean the Korean GJ2 Inspiration series (Shredder / Concorde), I get that. I had one of the first GJ2 / Friedman USA models and it was nowhere near the quality of G&L USA... A cheap, characterless CNC job with bland pickup and a neck profile like a keyboard (he was using basswood for necks too). I paid half the price of a Friedman and it's still the biggest hit loss I've taken on a new guitar.
    HAL9000 said:
    Obvious one is G&L.
    G&L has the renown for its pre-2018 basses (dot on the back of the headstock) - They get snapped up in the UK now, but the guitars are still collectors only.