Guitar brands that...

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I always thought Schecter deserved to be more popular than their current status. 
    I agree. 

I have two of them and they are beautifully made guitars with great specs. They may have come out of the same factory as other guitars I own - but clearly Schecter goes the extra mile.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 383
    edited April 6
    For me it is the FGN brand, FujiGens own brand.

Everybody knows or have heard about many of the great guitars they made for Ibanez, Fender or Gibson, 
    just to name a few of them.
    Not much know about their own brand, established around 2009
    High Quality guitars at an affordable price. Quality over Quantity is what they are doing.
    They have traditinal models and their own, improved versions of those trad. models.
    Look up some of Andertons videos for more info

I am biased, I've got 12 of them in my crew

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2164
    If they deserved more recognition they would have been more popular. 

The market doesn’t really lie. 

Some of the makers mentioned in this thread, their branding absolutely stinks. Fret King aren’t the epitome of cool for example… 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    Harley Benton

*Runs Away*
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Nerine said:

Some of the makers mentioned in this thread, their branding absolutely stinks. Fret King aren’t the epitome of cool for example… 

Nerine said:

But for those that can see past the Apple logo that a teen would lust after, spec is more important than branding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    Acoustics: Sigma, Walden and Tanglewood
    Electrics: FGN

Most of the rest mentioned have had their bursts of popularity and recognition over the years, even though they may not currently be particularly recognised brands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpeedySpeedy Frets: 1
    Encore ....

I'll get my coat
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    edited April 7
    Speedy said:
    Encore ....
    I'll get my coat
    No need to get your coat.  I'm sure it was either Trevor Wilkinson or Alan Entwistle that exhumed, revamped and drastically improved the Encore guitars to the point that they should have been regarded as serious contenders.  That in turn led to the "Vintage" guitar range by JHS (John Hornby Skewes), and I should have added Vintage to my comment above.  Some of their guitars are exceptionally good and their quality standards are really pretty good also, yet I don't think they have had the popularity they deserve from discerning players.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    HAL9000 said:
    Obvious one is G&L.
    Yup. Arguably more Fender than Fender, and probably the best tremolo bridge yet devised. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    Nerine said:

The market doesn’t lie when it comes to what people want (or think they want).

That doesn’t mean other brands don’t deserve more recognition but so much depends on marketing, customer perception, etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Nerine said:

That’s assuming market is only dictated by solely by quality… or that a brand doesn’t deserve recognition because their branding isn’t great. 

So many other factors involved in market popularity including distribution, volume, and marketing. 

For a long time barely anyone had heard of Cort (it’s a bit better now) despite the fact the guitars they built for others sold phenomenally well. Same with Fujigen.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Schecter are much more prominent in metal circles these days than they have been before, esp prog metal. They seem to be having an Ibanez style surge at the moment, esp with the specs of guitars. However, some of Thier headstocks are ..... interesting 
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 195
    I was always surprised Brian Moore guitars didn't really take off. Good playing, solid specs... But I never owned one which I guess is part of the problem.

Parker suffered due to their looks but also played pretty well.

Steinberger should have been a bigger name too, my GM is one of the easiest playing guitars I've ever got my hands on. Again it's likely looks that stopped them being more popular.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    edited April 7
    What I don’t get about G&L is there seemed to be a huge push on them 5 or so years ago with promos on Andertons, lots of stock in places like PMT etc Now they seem to have dropped off the radar again? There was a transparent frost blue semi hollow ASAT on Anderton’s that I coveted for a long time. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2164
    Schnozz said:
    Nerine said:

But for those that can see past the Apple logo that a teen would lust after, spec is more important than branding.
    Apple is a really poor example to use, in my opinion. Their hardware and user experience is generally excellent based on the Macs and iPhones and iPads I’ve had so they deserve the credit.  

I wouldn’t try to run my studio on a PC. 

I’ll reframe my initial post slightly:

Why do any of the brands in this thread deserve more recognition than they have? If they were doing more things right, they’d have more recognition with higher sales, no?? 

Bear in mind I’m not mentioning the quality of the product here. 

If more of these companies got their basic branding and marketing (sometimes even their name) right, (see Blackstar and Orange for example) they’d likely see higher market share. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    in more contemporary times - Hofner. When was 15, pouring over the Bells Music Catalogue, the Galaxie with its multiple switches/pups really intrigued me.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Chimpankie said:
    My Washburn dreadnought acoustic (around £250 in 2005) has been fantastic value, and sounds great.

My old housemate had a Westone which sounded BRILLIANT but weighed an absolute ton. I’d guess over 10lbs.
    Everybody knows that heavier guitars sound better!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    edited April 7
    HAL9000 said:

Fret King
    Always ruined by the bat-wing headstock and scratchplate designs. IMHO worse than bird inlays.
    I take it you mean the Fender type models? IMHO bird inlays are waaay more off putting.

But vive la difference & all that 
    Although I love Tele's, I think the Fender scratchplate is the thing I really don't like. Seems like a lot of manufacturers of T-types think so too. Straight edge on the bridge side just looks like it was Friday afternoon and they couldn't be arsed designing a curve for it. Home time via the bar chaps.

I have a mate who gigs a Fret King and he let me have a go of it during the break on one gig and I was impressed with it. Double bound and lovely fit and finish. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    +1 for FGN, every one I've played has been an awesome guitar. If I ever get round to buying a T style guitar it'd probably be a Boundary Iliad.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1089
    Why do any of the brands in this thread deserve more recognition than they have? If they were doing more things right, they’d have more recognition with higher sales, no?? 

If more of these companies got their basic branding and marketing (sometimes even their name) right, (see Blackstar and Orange for example) they’d likely see higher market share. 
    Not really an automatic assumption that they haven't done their basic branding and marketing "right" and it's all their fault. For all we know they HAVE done everything in that dept right. But let's be realistic. When you're up against behemoths like Fender Gibson even Ibanez, your ceiling will always be limited no matter what...unless one of them collapses in a dramatic fashion and leaves a gaping hole behind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom