Guitar brands that...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Guild acoustics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584

I've been a long time admirer of Reverend. Their designs nicely straddle the traditional/modern line. And in my experience, they play well.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    I’m a big fan of Eastwood and Airline.  
    Great build quality, and the hardware is always very decent. They usually just need a good setup, and they’re ready to rock. 

They make very interesting guitars, recreations of old oddball models with interest pickups. Not your usually jelly mould S,T, and LP a-likes everyone else does. I’ve got two Airline, two Eastwood (and one Eastman), all fabulous things. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    TheMarlin said:
    Great build quality, and the hardware is always very decent. They usually just need a good setup, and they’re ready to rock. 

They make very interesting guitars, recreations of old oddball models with interest pickups. Not your usually jelly mould S,T, and LP a-likes everyone else does. I’ve got two Airline, two Eastwood (and one Eastman), all fabulous things. 

Eastwood were better about a decade ago. I’ve ordered a few over the years and the best was a “custom shop” Warren Ellis baritone, but the last couple guitars I’ve gotten from them have had bad QC issues beyond what a setup can sort - we’re talking dents and scratches in addition to badly cut nuts and other problems. Guitars sold as “new” that were already in used condition, basically, and it’s kind of put me off of them which is unfortunate because I like the idea of what they do with the weird reissues and creative originals. I just feel like their overall quality has gone way down while their price has gone way up. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Whitecat said:
    TheMarlin said:

Eastwood were better about a decade ago. I’ve ordered a few over the years and the best was a “custom shop” Warren Ellis baritone, but the last couple guitars I’ve gotten from them have had bad QC issues beyond what a setup can sort - we’re talking dents and scratches in addition to badly cut nuts and other problems. Guitars sold as “new” that were already in used condition, basically, and it’s kind of put me off of them which is unfortunate because I like the idea of what they do with the weird reissues and creative originals. I just feel like their overall quality has gone way down while their price has gone way up. 
    I’ve been much luckier with mine, though almost always buy lightly used over new.  I’ve only ever bought three guitars from new. I’ve owned maybe 75-100 guitars over the years. 

The Airline Bighorn has minor issues, you can see the wood joins under the paint, so lines run down the body,  it you have to hold it to the light at a angle to see it, so not really an issue. All others have honestly been fab. All new (to me) guitars go to to my luthier for a once over, and proper setup.  
    Luthier (Steve) has complained more about Gibsons I’ve owned than any of my Eastman’s/Airlines/Supros. And, he’s whined and moaned about most of my Electromatic Gretsches too. Hates them. The only one he liked was the Rat Rod G5410. 

I’ve just bought another Eastman (fourth guitar I’ve bought this month), will report back on QC once it’s arrived. 

• TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Guild acoustics.
    Yes. And no. But mostly yes. 

People who know their acoustics have huge respect for Guild. So no. Then again, people who have only a nodding acquaintance with acoustic guitars mostly have no clue about Guild. So yes. And (not counting those Guild-badged Chinese things) Guild sells only a very small number of guitars. So yes. But then you can see one big reason why few people buy them - Guild pricing is truly savage! And they make way too many models with a nasty little 43mm nut, not nearly enough with 45mm. Wake up Guild, this isn't 1970 anymore!