If you were to buy one Marshall amp.. what would it be.. and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18989
    Wow. No comments about Dan Hawkins (or was it actually the Boosh's Julian Barratt) using an Epiphone & not a Gibson   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 874
    I’ve had the 1987x and a few 1959’s, now. Toying with the idea of getting a JTM45
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2367
    PPPMAT said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    PPPMAT said:
    I just found this - demo of a 1987x - using an AB box for different tones.

Although his 'clean' is nothing of the sort!

Does sound great. I have such bad GAS for a plexi style at the moment.
    Listening to that - it is ‘the’ sound. Sometimes I prefer the 68 plexi tones but whenever I hear a 1987x I think nah - this is wicked. I guess I prefer the early 70s metal panel stuff.
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I thought the 1987X was just the 50 watt plexi? Is it a slightly different era (slightly more modern?) too?
    The 1987x reissue  circuit is based on the early 70s metal panel amps rather than the late 60s stuff so it beaks up earlier and is a bit more aggressive. Even though it has a plexiglass panel - a bit confusing really but that’s what it is as far as I’m aware.
    Ah I see, thanks :)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7211
    I felt I couldn’t commit to the “just one” arrangement, so today another one arrived  =)

Have wanted it for ages. Finally got brave and traded the deluxe reverb for it. Very excited to get to know it properly. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    edited May 4
    Apparently, a DSL20CR in my case, because its a great amp for the price.

Although the 1960a in my sig also counts I guess
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2197
    If doing it again, I think I’d be tempted to go for the 2061x over the SV20. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited May 4
    I love the 1987x, completely impractical but awesome classic rock tones. Dan's rig in that video sounded even better in person  

I've only briefly tried a 2061x but didn't really rate it, seemed too clean for me. Much prefer the SV20H which really nails that Plexi "thing" at more manageable levels.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    TTBZ said:

I've only briefly tried a 2061x but didn't really rate it, seemed too clean for me.
    Bizarrely by modern standards, they were actually designed as a PA amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 798
    Just finished decorating so I’m moving my gear back in place so I thought I’d take a few photos of my Jubilee for this thread. This is my original 50 watt 1987 Silver Jubilee 2550 that I’ve owned from new. My girlfriend (now wife!) bought it for me from George at Rock City in Newcastle for my 21st birthday back in 1987 and it’s the amp I gigged throughout the 80’s. I couldn’t afford the matching cab so I bought the JCM800 cab from Mackays second hand shop. It hasn’t been gigged for probably 20 years now but was serviced a couple of years ago by my old friend Steve Dawson from Root Two who was an amp designer at Marshall for many years. I got to play it on 10 in Steve’s workshop when it was done.  It’s 100% original including valves and amazingly is in near perfect condition considering I hauled it in and out of dozens of venues. The transformer is a bit rusty probably from spilt beer at any number of gigs but that’s about it. I have the semi transparent slip cover for it but that’s battered to hell! The original price tag and hang tag are in the pictures. When I got it I filled out the warranty card and sent it back to Marshall. A few days later I got a typewritten letter signed by Jim Marshall thanking me for buying the amp. I assume these were sent to everyone who filled out a warranty as I was nobody special! I still have that too.
    It’s the only piece of gear that I would never sell as it’s so sentimental. 
    When I was taking these pictures I had completely forgotten that my wife had put a note inside it 37 years ago! Sorry for the pic spam but I know gut shots are popular!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    That's in exceptional condition for a gigged Marshall head, especially a Jubilee which always show the marks more than the black ones... you must have taken very good care of it :). (Even if the cover took all the damage, they're very thin!)

The rust on the transformers is normal, they just do that in slightly humid air - it doesn't affect the operation in any way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    Just finished decorating so I’m moving my gear back in place so I thought I’d take a few photos of my Jubilee for this thread. This is my original 50 watt 1987 Silver Jubilee 2550 that I’ve owned from new. My girlfriend (now wife!) bought it for me from George at Rock City in Newcastle for my 21st birthday back in 1987 and it’s the amp I gigged throughout the 80’s. I couldn’t afford the matching cab so I bought the JCM800 cab from Mackays second hand shop. It hasn’t been gigged for probably 20 years now but was serviced a couple of years ago by my old friend Steve Dawson from Root Two who was an amp designer at Marshall for many years. I got to play it on 10 in Steve’s workshop when it was done.  It’s 100% original including valves and amazingly is in near perfect condition considering I hauled it in and out of dozens of venues. The transformer is a bit rusty probably from spilt beer at any number of gigs but that’s about it. I have the semi transparent slip cover for it but that’s battered to hell! The original price tag and hang tag are in the pictures. When I got it I filled out the warranty card and sent it back to Marshall. A few days later I got a typewritten letter signed by Jim Marshall thanking me for buying the amp. I assume these were sent to everyone who filled out a warranty as I was nobody special! I still have that too.
    It’s the only piece of gear that I would never sell as it’s so sentimental. 
    When I was taking these pictures I had completely forgotten that my wife had put a note inside it 37 years ago! Sorry for the pic spam but I know gut shots are popular!

Fascinating stuff @matt_sefton, thanks for posting up the pics, that's some real history there.
    A lot of rust on that transformer though. Could that be a potential problem I wonder?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    ICBM said:
    That's in exceptional condition for a gigged Marshall head, especially a Jubilee which always show the marks more than the black ones... you must have taken very good care of it :). (Even if the cover took all the damage, they're very thin!)

The rust on the transformers is normal, they just do that in slightly humid air - it doesn't affect the operation in any way.
    Lol @ICBM, got the answer in as I questioned the rust  :) 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 874
    Has anyone compared the JTM45 to the latest 20w jtm studio?
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 798
    ICBM said:

I treated that amp like my firstborn child! I would never let anyone touch it. It was (and still is) my pride and joy :-)
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 356
    She was really lucky to manage to find one with your name on the back!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6920
    jca74 said:
    She was really lucky to manage to find one with your name on the back!
    Perhaps she already had the amp and was looking for a boyfriend with the same name!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Nerine said:
    shaunm said:
    @Nerine ive taken your advice and got an SV20H and I’ve a 1x12 Creamback 65 cab waiting 
    It’s a really solid amp mate. I don’t think you can go wrong with one. I still use an attenuator with mine because it’s loud. 

Let me know how it works out with the Creamback. I’m currently looking at alternatives to my current 1x12, so would be keen to hear your thoughts. 

What cab do you have? 
    Does the SV20H not have power reduction down from 20W to 5W?

im thinking I need one for home. Know it’s a bit overkill, but it’s gorgeous. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    gusman2x said:
    Nerine said:
    shaunm said:
    @Nerine ive taken your advice and got an SV20H and I’ve a 1x12 Creamback 65 cab waiting 
    It’s a really solid amp mate. I don’t think you can go wrong with one. I still use an attenuator with mine because it’s loud. 

Let me know how it works out with the Creamback. I’m currently looking at alternatives to my current 1x12, so would be keen to hear your thoughts. 

What cab do you have? 

Yes it does, and it sounds fantastic. 
    I've just taken a mint one in part ex if you want to PM me about it. 
  • guitarmanessex89guitarmanessex89 Frets: 152
    My YJM head and 1978 2104 (JMP 2204 in 2x12 combo format) are about as much Marshall as I could wish for. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2197
    gusman2x said:
    Nerine said:
    shaunm said:

What cab do you have? 

It does. Yes. I usually use it in 5w mode because it’s being amplified through a Fryette Powerstation when I use it live. Not really any point in using the 20w mode in that situation. 

When I say it’s loud in 5w mode, I mean it’s more than you’d want to sit in front of for extended periods. Not that it’ll deafen you as such. 
    Plus I have neighbours to consider, so the Powerstation ticks about every box going. 

Don’t expect it to be “quiet” or neighbour friendly in 5w mode when it’s driven to distortion. It’ll still be objectively loud, just not on stage shaking your nuts loud.