Info about Lupe hand built amps

What's Hot

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    For the record Emprize do regularly show the insides of their chassis’, though they do seem to be taking a break. They’d be a good shout second hand if they came up though

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Rift, Modulus, Gartone...

Plenty of classy UK amp builders around who can build top quality tweed amps for you. 

And most importantly, they have a track record of tone, quality, safety and service.

Good reputation and good to deal with.

Or take a punt on eBay.

I know what I'd do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LilBa2tardLilBa2tard Frets: 22
    edited April 26
     you mentioned above, some of which don't make Tweed replicas , some don't use vintage style cotton covered wire, fender hardware fuse holders, switch gear , some of the above don't offer lacquered tweed relic'd , aged fixings , leather handles , matched vintage tubes, re-stuffed Astrons  ....  

not to mention more expensive, for example..  Gartone's 53e is £2725  delivered ,  I build the same amp using high end components,  pine cab, lacquered tweed, aged fixings, genuine fender hardware, CTS pots, carbon comp resistors, Sozo caps, Jensen alnico speaker ..   for £1025 cheaper ....  

..   one of the above has a reputation for making pretty $h1t sounding amps, and one of the above isn't as popular as maybe you think ..  

yet you make assumptions on something you have not tried, heard, played , tested , or even seen in person I find this pretty odd tbh ..   s  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7208
    To be fair to Mr Bastard (very Young Ones that), he is robustly defending what he does as a side hustle in response to a post from Chris.  We all know Chris as a lovely bloke who not only knows his stuff but gives the knowledge on here freely - he is definitely one of the good guys.

In saying that, does there have to be a bad guy ?  Maybe Andy (?) does meet the regs and is a very talented hobbyist who may also end up being a real asset to the Forum. We need to make him feel welcome enough to engage and give us more info

I guess what I'm saying is lets take the heat out of it, have a sensible conversation and not turn it into a black and white 'Forum good guys v outsider bad guy' thing
    That went well !
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     you mentioned above, some of which don't make Tweed replicas , some don't use vintage style cotton covered wire, fender hardware fuse holders, switch gear , some of the above don't offer lacquered tweed relic'd , aged fixings , leather handles , matched vintage tubes, re-stuffed Astrons  ....  

not to mention more expensive, for example..  Gartone's 53e is £2725  delivered ,  I build the same amp using high end components,  pine cab, lacquered tweed, aged fixings, genuine fender hardware, CTS pots, carbon comp resistors, Sozo caps, Jensen alnico speaker ..   for £1025 cheaper ....  

..   one of the above has a reputation for making pretty $h1t sounding amps, and one of the above isn't as popular as maybe you think ..  

yet you make assumptions on something you have not tried, heard, played , tested , or even seen in person I find this pretty odd tbh ..   s  

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1503

That went well !
    Pack mentality and defence mechanisms will always take their respective roots
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    Tbf in curious about trying a Lupe now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 303
    Sorry but the way you have conducted yourself throughout this thread would make me avoid you like the plague. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 27
    ditchboy said:
    Sorry but the way you have conducted yourself throughout this thread would make me avoid you like the plague. 

........ wait a moment, I didn't realise I was meant to except stupid / unreasonable comments, from people who have never seen, played, heard one of my amps?  and agree that they are right when they are wrong...   s  

if you read back over the thread, you will see that I have been more than amicable to such foolish comments..   I'm no sheep I'm afraid 

To be fair, its prob too much amp for you anyway, you'd prob be better off with something digital    
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
    edited April 27
    Oh dear...... 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Tbf in curious about trying a Lupe now
    :)  Im going to be doing another couple of builds soon, one of which will be another Tweed Princeton what I call "Lupe"  as I have now sold what I had ..   tbh Ive had a whole lot of interest since this thread started ..  

I can up date people when I have something new ready to go thanks  :) 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1503
    If it’s not been clear, you might be better off not contributing to this forum. It will continue to be a hostile place for you, and your particular way of communicating will only antagonise that vein. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597

You can't really compare your amps with Gartone, on price or otherwise.  He's a business, he does do warranty not "no returns", he gets taxed as a business.  His construction standards are much higher, i.e. he spends more time (equals cost) on his builds.  You mention high end components and Fender switch gear.  If that's what's in the eBay photo of your Princeton then those are intended for their current amps that use push on 'spade' type crimp connectors.  You tacked your neutral wire on top with no mechanical joint.  Solder isn't glue.

You mention high quality transformers, what are they?  Mike uses Mercury Magnetics in his Gartone amps.  Those are expensive in the US let alone after importing here and one of the reasons I doubt your 5E3 will be in the same ball park sound wise.  Same goes for Lazy J, Vyse and others.  I've compared those with the Gartone in a rehearsal room at gig level and his is a cut above the rest.  

Maybe your amps sounds good, and with some tips from Chris around safety and construction standards maybe they'll be be a good and safe purchase.  But Gartone is a very high bar and those amps cost what they do for a good reason.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    I really think that you should let this thread drop off, some people here have genuinely offered the same advice.

The people in this forum really are your target audience, look at the value of what people buy and sell in the classifieds on a daily basis.

If you really are the self proclaimed Hattori Hanzo of amp building, then the reputation of your amp builds will garner that reputation and you will not need to defend the quality, tone and price of your builds.

If you are going to start another couple of builds, start a thread in the Making & Modding section, I'm 100% sure that you'll be met with encouragement and enthusiasm. Show us that person, we'll embrace it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

You can't really compare your amps with Gartone, on price or otherwise.  He's a business, he does do warranty not "no returns", he gets taxed as a business.  His construction standards are much higher, i.e. he spends more time (equals cost) on his builds.  You mention high end components and Fender switch gear.  If that's what's in the eBay photo of your Princeton then those are intended for their current amps that use push on 'spade' type crimp connectors.  You tacked your neutral wire on top with no mechanical joint.  Solder isn't glue.

You mention high quality transformers, what are they?  Mike uses Mercury Magnetics in his Gartone amps.  Those are expensive in the US let alone after importing here and one of the reasons I doubt your 5E3 will be in the same ball park sound wise.  Same goes for Lazy J, Vyse and others.  I've compared those with the Gartone in a rehearsal room at gig level and his is a cut above the rest.  

Maybe your amps sounds good, and with some tips from Chris around safety and construction standards maybe they'll be be a good and safe purchase.  But Gartone is a very high bar and those amps cost what they do for a good reason.
    Their listed amps on Reverb , states “no returns” ..  
    Apologies if I’m mistake but the only one I can see on reverb is being sold used, not by Gartone 
    euan said:
    If it’s not been clear, you might be better off not contributing to this forum. It will continue to be a hostile place for you, and your particular way of communicating will only antagonise that vein. 
     A hostile place for me ? Because I defended, explained and stood by what I build from a few people who like to make judgment/ uncalled / stupid accusations , when they haven’t seen , heard , played with any of my amps .. ? 

and I’m in the wrong
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alex2678 said:
    Apologies if I’m mistake but the only one I can see on reverb is being sold used, not by Gartone 
     Yes you’ve made a mistake.. 
    Alex2678 said:
     Yes you’ve made a mistake.. 
    Could you copy and paste a link?

I can only see this -