Info about Lupe hand built amps

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
     you mentioned above, some of which don't make Tweed replicas , some don't use vintage style cotton covered wire, fender hardware fuse holders, switch gear , some of the above don't offer lacquered tweed relic'd , aged fixings , leather handles , matched vintage tubes, re-stuffed Astrons  ....  

not to mention more expensive, for example..  Gartone's 53e is £2725  delivered ,  I build the same amp using high end components,  pine cab, lacquered tweed, aged fixings, genuine fender hardware, CTS pots, carbon comp resistors, Sozo caps, Jensen alnico speaker ..   for £1025 cheaper ....  

..   one of the above has a reputation for making pretty $h1t sounding amps, and one of the above isn't as popular as maybe you think ..  

yet you make assumptions on something you have not tried, heard, played , tested , or even seen in person I find this pretty odd tbh ..   s  
    You can't really compare your amps with Gartone, on price or otherwise.  He's a business, he does do warranty not "no returns", he gets taxed as a business.  His construction standards are much higher, i.e. he spends more time (equals cost) on his builds.  You mention high end components and Fender switch gear.  If that's what's in the eBay photo of your Princeton then those are intended for their current amps that use push on 'spade' type crimp connectors.  You tacked your neutral wire on top with no mechanical joint.  Solder isn't glue.

You mention high quality transformers, what are they?  Mike uses Mercury Magnetics in his Gartone amps.  Those are expensive in the US let alone after importing here and one of the reasons I doubt your 5E3 will be in the same ball park sound wise.  Same goes for Lazy J, Vyse and others.  I've compared those with the Gartone in a rehearsal room at gig level and his is a cut above the rest.  

Maybe your amps sounds good, and with some tips from Chris around safety and construction standards maybe they'll be be a good and safe purchase.  But Gartone is a very high bar and those amps cost what they do for a good reason.
    Their listed amps on Reverb , states “no returns” ..  
    There’s one secondhand one. And if that’s your only response to my comments above I’ll take that as validation.

As has been said a couple of times, start a thread on your next build and you’ll get supportive and helpful comments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    edited April 27
    Fwiw I’ve not deliberately set out to be hostile I just really disagreed with a lot of things that were said, I’ve not changed my mind, but it’s not personal 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    So would it be safe to stay that this is Executive Summary?

A load of piss poor posturing from all corners about who copies someone else's amp design the best?

I’ll take the moral high ground and go with the real deal. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ you’ve not shown the inside of the chassis, bet it’s not even got Jupiter caps  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alex2678 said:
    ^ you’ve not shown the inside of the chassis, bet it’s not even got Jupiter caps  ;)
    In fairness it’s literally totally original and probably need to get it fine tuned 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hate new looking tweed but the proper old stuff looks beautiful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    edited April 27
    Alex2678 said:
    Hate new looking tweed but the proper old stuff looks beautiful
    So many stories in that old girl, I am sure.

And, for any builders reading this- the 5E9 circuit is too often overlooked 

I always think new tweed looks soft and the old stuff looks hard and glassy
    Alex2678 said:
    I always think new tweed looks soft and the old stuff looks hard and glassy
    Shellac. 

edited April 27
    I know but even the new stuff that’s been shallac’d or lacquered doesn’t look as flat or hard. Assume that it’s been hammered flat by time