Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11032
    tFB Trader
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited May 20
    Absolutely agree. It looks like he’s being honest in the full description, but the title is certainly misleading.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14663
    edited May 20 tFB Trader
    Disagree - First of all he is been very open in his product info - But read the heading again 

Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special SC Relics Nitro Body

He has not said it is a Fender or a Fender Nocaster - He has said it is a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special with a SC Relics Nitro Body- And it is indeed a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck with a SC Relics Nitro Body

If he said it was a Used 2019 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster then I can see where you are coming from 

I agree he could have put a + sign in the title so it reads 
    Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special + SC Relics Nitro Body

Agree an element of gray area, but essentially with his product info he is not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    Disagree - First of all he is been very open in his product info - But read the heading again 

Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special SC Relics Nitro Body

He has not said it is a Fender or a Fender Nocaster - He has said it is a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special with a SC Relics Nitro Body- And it is indeed a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck with a SC Relics Nitro Body

If he said it was a Used 2019 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster then I can see where you are coming from 

I agree he could have put a + sign in the title so it reads 
    Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special + SC Relics Nitro Body

Agree an element of gray area, but essentially with his product info he is not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes

Agreed re. the description.
    However, the asking price is daft.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    Not really. Under the law, it's a fake.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    prowla said:

I agree he could have put a + sign in the title so it reads Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special + SC Relics Nitro Body

Agreed re. the description.
    However, the asking price is daft.
    I know you are big into your parts and builds etc so probably follow these prices more than me - But surely the neck alone is worth £1000 on a bad day - Probably worth £1200/1400 if it was for sale on its own on e-bay/reverb etc - A new relic Nocaster is £4.5K - More time/work spent on the neck than the body, but even if we accept £600 is parts/hardware, then that leaves £3900 for neck + body - split that in half, for easy figures and a new neck around £1950 is probably not far wrong 

As far as I know, Fender don't sell CS parts (they never use to anyway), for reasons of encouraging the fake/relic market place - Not sure how Stratosphere acquired this - Maybe they broke it down from a complete guitar. maybe they get the odd warranty, reject or otherwise parts from Fender 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    As far as I know, Fender don't sell CS parts (they never use to anyway), for reasons of encouraging the fake/relic market place - Not sure how Stratosphere acquired this - Maybe they broke it down from a complete guitar. maybe they get the odd warranty, reject or otherwise parts from Fender 
    I'm pretty sure The Stratosphere buy complete guitars and part them out.  When you look at their new listings, if the neck's there the body will be too - sometimes with hardware or other parts, sometimes completely broken down.  I assume it's a profitable business model.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5432

In this instance I'd argue it's just a matter of punctuation. Assuming the neck is a Fender neck, it's exactly what he says it is, but the lack of a comma, +, & or "with" makes the title ambiguous.

Unless the seller has form for being disingenuous I'd put this one down to incompetence rather than malice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Fully appreciate you have to bat with a straight bat on FB classified etc - But in this case I don't see what he has said is wrong

It is a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special - No questions about that

It is a SC Relics Nitro Body - Again no question about that 

Put the 2 together and therefore it is a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special SC Relics Nitro Body - Granted, as I said above add a plus sign so it reads Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special + SC Relics Nitro Body and that probably reads better and still correct - Maybe Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special + SC Relics Nitro Body Partscaster would be more 'correct'

If he said it was a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster used 2019 - Then I can see the issue with everyone calling it a fake and quite right - But the heading doesn't say that 

The neck is not fake - So
    Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special can't be fake either and he would have every right to list the neck alone for sale as Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special

Let's make it shorter as per the header within his description - 
    Fender Custom Shop 51 Nocaster Neck on SC Relics Nitro Body - Nothing wrong with that - It is what he has said 

As I said above - I'd have an issue with a listing that said 
    Fender Custom Shop Nocaster used 2019, which implies the whole guitar is a Fender - But Fender Custom Shop 51 Nocaster Neck on SC Relics Nitro Body is what he said it is, as is  Fender Custom Shop Telecaster 51 Nocaster Neck NAMM special SC Relics Nitro Body

Sorry but on this I don't see what is fake and what he has said and implies within text + header that is fake

But as I said above - You have to run the site with a straight bat so fully understand any seller would have to comply with your thought process/legal requirements etc and I'm sure we would all accept that  

tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm pretty sure The Stratosphere buy complete guitars and part them out.  When you look at their new listings, if the neck's there the body will be too - sometimes with hardware or other parts, sometimes completely broken down.  I assume it's a profitable business model.
    I've not looked at their site for a while - In many cases I believe you are right - Buy an EC or EJ Strat and split it into parts - But equally I have seen new parts on their site at times, often more noticeable as you can see 2/3/4 of the same neck etc - Often 'old stock' or Mk1 old stock before any changes/updates etc - Occasional rejects as well I dare say with subtle finish blemish and maybe even the odd warranty return
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    Who, in that guitar's past, has parted out a Custom Shop guitar?!?
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1545
    So he's selling a neck and body. Strings and screws are there just for the picture.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9537
    It's absolutely not.
    He's put a genuine cs neck onto the body of a different maker. Nothing illegal in that and it makes it clear what it is from both the pics and description.
    You surely can't be suggesting he removes the logo from the genuine neck?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14721
    Who, in that guitar's past, has parted out a Custom Shop guitar?
    Philly_Q said:  
    The Stratosphere buy complete guitars and part them out.  
    There are a few such sellers on eBay UK, Reverb et cetera. Admittedly, few of them offer dismantled top-Dollar instruments.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited May 20
    Snags said:

In this instance I'd argue it's just a matter of punctuation. Assuming the neck is a Fender neck, it's exactly what he says it is, but the lack of a comma, +, & or "with" makes the title ambiguous.

Unless the seller has form for being disingenuous I'd put this one down to incompetence rather than malice.
    Even if the comma was used, then it would have to be sold as a collection of unassembled parts in order to be legal.
    Fully appreciate you have to bat with a straight bat on FB classified etc - But in this case I don't see what he has said is wrong

He hasn't said anything wrong - it's a guitar with a Fender logo on it, in the customary Fender place, but the guitar is not a Fender. It's the guitar itself which is wrong

As always, it's not this sale that's the problem, which is why his honesty or grammatical precision is not the problem - it's the next guy, who might sell it as an original Fender to some poor unsuspecting mark.

EDIT: And, of course, eBay are as criminally liable for the sale of a fake via their site as we would be if it occurred here.
    <space for hire>
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1140
    Does the CS logo on the back of the headstock not look a bit off? With the amount of fakes out there I wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole.
    tFB Trader
    Who, in that guitar's past, has parted out a Custom Shop guitar?!?
    Hard to fully sign off such a question 

Could have been stolen so broken into parts for sale so no longer recognisable or traceable as such 
    As has been suggested elsewhere, then Stratosphere have broken down a guitar so as to enrich their parts business 

Im pretty certain it wouldn’t be a warranty claim as such - When I last had  a CS warranty claim on a body (delamination issue on the finish) - Fender would not send me the replacement body so we could carry out the work - We had to return the whole guitar to Fender UK in order for them to handle all the work and in due course handle what’s next ref the ‘faulty’ parts - Fender do not want such parts on the market place via their own front or back door 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1603
    Snags said:

Even if the comma was used, then it would have to be sold as a collection of unassembled parts in order to be legal.

He hasn't said anything wrong - it's a guitar with a Fender logo on it, in the customary Fender place, but the guitar is not a Fender. It's the guitar itself which is wrong

As always, it's not this sale that's the problem, which is why his honesty or grammatical precision is not the problem - it's the next guy, who might sell it as an original Fender to some poor unsuspecting mark.

EDIT: And, of course, eBay are as criminally liable for the sale of a fake via their site as we would be if it occurred here.
    But he has not even implied it is a Fender Guitar - he has said it is "a" guitar (that he clarifies he put together himself) that comprises a Fender neck, SC Relics body, Fender pickups and quality pots etc.

If there is no mis-description used in the sale, the seller cannot be responsible for what someone else may do even having been given the appropriate information.

Surely ??
    But he has not even implied it is a Fender Guitar - he has said it is "a" guitar (that he clarifies he put together himself) that comprises a Fender neck, SC Relics body, Fender pickups and quality pots etc.

If there is no mis-description used in the sale, the seller cannot be responsible for what someone else may do even having been given the appropriate information.

Surely ??
    That's not how the law works. It's about the item, not the description - because, as I've already said, it's not just about this sale. The guitar itself could easily be sold as a real one by any subsequent owner.

This has been discussed endlessly on here, but the fact is that the law is unambiguous on this matter.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Agree with you on this (first paragraph mainly) - hope cutting off the rest of an earlier extended text is okay- Just wanted to home in on me agreeing with this key part of the equation