NAD Tomorrow: Marshall SL-5

What's Hot

So i took the plunge on one of the discounted Marshall SL-5 combos inc the free echo pedal.

Always been a huge slash fan and loved 'that tone' but the AFD100 was too big and loud for home use. so will see how we get on with this.  Shame there's no loop but im sure it will be grand :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2014
    I have one and a bargain at that price. Good V30 driver too. Bigger than you might think..
  • andyoz;432910" said:
    I have one and a bargain at that price. Good V12 driver too. Bigger than you might think..
    @andyoz

Is it a belter of an amp. Is the tone as thick as comes across in the YouTube vids?
  • I have one too and love it. Really great sounding amp. Congrats :-)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I almost picked one up today but at the time I was negotiating for an AFD100, turns out I missed out on the AFD last night, which is quite funny as I was watching Slash at the NEC at the time.

Let me know how you find it please.
  • underdog;432989" said:
    I almost picked one up today but at the time I was negotiating for an AFD100, turns out I missed out on the AFD last night, which is quite funny as I was watching Slash at the NEC at the time.

Will do buddy. Hope the gig was great !

Sounds like it's a tidy amp. Worth taking a punt at that price.
    edited December 2014
    It's a lot of amp for the money. The 1w setting is really handy. I like the front facing controls after using a Blackstar HT5r.

I never really got a chance to let it sing at home but you can tell it does want to scream. I'm more a 70's/early 80's sort of guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz;433034" said:
    It's a lot of amp for the money. The 1w setting is really handy. I like the front facing controls after using a Blackstar HT5r.

I never really got a chance to let it sing at home but you can tell it does want to scream. I'm more a 70's/early 80's sort of guy.
    Really looking forward to it. Will be getting the GNR albums on me thinks !
    Fortheloveofguitar;433021" said:
    [quote="underdog;432989"]I almost picked one up today but at the time I was negotiating for an AFD100, turns out I missed out on the AFD last night, which is quite funny as I was watching Slash at the NEC at the time.

Sounds like it's a tidy amp. Worth taking a punt at that price. [/quote]

Yeah, good gig, almost got my hearing back now too, which is nice :D

My wife is now trying to put me off buying an SL5, so I think I know what my Xmas present may be.

• underdog;433102" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;433021"][quote="underdog;432989"]I almost picked one up today but at the time I was negotiating for an AFD100, turns out I missed out on the AFD last night, which is quite funny as I was watching Slash at the NEC at the time.

Sounds like it's a tidy amp. Worth taking a punt at that price. [/quote]

Yeah, good gig, almost got my hearing back now too, which is nice :D

My wife is now trying to put me off buying an SL5, so I think I know what my Xmas present may be.

[/quote]

Wow! She's a Keeper :D
    Only if she comes up with the goods on Christmas day dude :D
    edited December 2014
    I was at a GnR tribute band on Sat night if that counts? Lead singer had the fat Axl look going on but guitarists were killer..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    I was at a GnR tribute band on Sat night if that counts? Lead singer had the fat Axl look going on but guitarists were killer..
    UK Guns n' Roses were by far the best out there and their Axl was awesome. Then he left and they merged with another outfit and became Guns 2 Roses which isn't as good and their Axl is pretty poor.

Shame really so haven't seen them since 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Superb amp. Well done.  :)
  • Just about to unpack it now :D
    I'm so sad I've been waiting for you to post :D
  • Overall i'm not happy with it. the amp sounds very boxy, like it needs a bigger cab which defeats the object of the whole thing for me so i'm going to return it for a refund.. shame  :(
    Fair play for being honest mate, most people would have just liked it because it was new. It's why I wish you could buy it as a head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let us know where you bought it, could be a B-stock bargain by Friday!
    Just googled peoples opinions on the amp and most are great, even ignoring slash fans it seems good but discovered a couple of people complaining about it being boxy or muffled in both 5 and 1 watt settings.

It was suggested by some they try another incase it was a fault with the unit they had or had tried. Maybe though it's just not that great, wish I had the time to try one the other day now
  • The 1 watt mode is a little muffled but i guess that's to be expected.

The 5 watt normal mode is where its at and its begging to be cranked where i think it would really be singing. I too wish they did a head version of this.

However i will try it through my 2x12 tomorrow, a little late now with my toddler asleep. I will give it a try whilst its here. should it make the world of difference then there is the chance if getting a head box for it.