NAD Tomorrow: Marshall SL-5

What's Hot

Comments

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited December 2014
    Well well well!

My boy is awake as hes been ill all this week so hes downstairs with my wife.

Anyway i've just wired it up through my 2x12 with V30's and using my Charvel with EMG Active pups and now this thing is a different animal.The difference is huge and that's just on the 1 watt mode.

Man they should have made this as a head.  Now i'm stuck with what to do.

I'll admit that maybe i was too quick to judge but based on it as a 1x12 it is boxey and small sounding. But its unleashed a different animal in a larger cab and even at low volume.

Gives you something to think about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2014
    I carefully unscrewed the back panel off mine and it feeds my music room better that way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz;434228" said:
    I carefully unscrewed the back panel off mine and it feeds my music room better that way!
    Sweet. I will get the screwdriver out tomorrow and try it open back too
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd already thought about getting one of these made in to a head, seems like it could be an option then :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog;434252" said:
    I'd already thought about getting one of these made in to a head, seems like it could be an option then :D
    It would rack up the price though as head boxes aren't cheap.

I have a blackstar HT5 head box spare but it's 2cm to short which is annoying.
    Fortheloveofguitar;434241" said:
    [quote="andyoz;434228"]I carefully unscrewed the back panel off mine and it feeds my music room better that way!
    Sweet. I will get the screwdriver out tomorrow and try it open back too [/quote]

Mine is only 2" from the rear wall at floor level so not fully open I guess.
  • andyoz;434273" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;434241"][quote="andyoz;434228"]I carefully unscrewed the back panel off mine and it feeds my music room better that way!
    Sweet. I will get the screwdriver out tomorrow and try it open back too [/quote]

Mine is only 2" from the rear wall at floor level so not fully open I guess.
    [/quote]

Enough to be giving a bigger spread
    edited December 2014
    Fortheloveofguitar;434259" said:
    [quote="underdog;434252"]I'd already thought about getting one of these made in to a head, seems like it could be an option then :D

I have a blackstar HT5 head box spare but it's 2cm to short which is annoying. [/quote]

yeah but it'd look good though :D
  • underdog;434279" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;434259"][quote="underdog;434252"]I'd already thought about getting one of these made in to a head, seems like it could be an option then :D

I have a blackstar HT5 head box spare but it's 2cm to short which is annoying. [/quote]

yeah but it'd look good though :D
    [/quote]

He'll yeah it would !
    And that's the main thing :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Well well well!

Anyway i've just wired it up through my 2x12 with V30's and using my Charvel with EMG Active pups and now this thing is a different animal.The difference is huge and that's just on the 1 watt mode.

I'll admit that maybe i was too quick to judge but based on it as a 1x12 it is boxey and small sounding. But its unleashed a different animal in a larger cab and even at low volume.

It could be that the combo speaker is just not broken in - V30s are one of the speakers which show this the most. They tend to sound stiff, middy and a bit flat when they're new. Small 1x12"s are where they work least well anyway though.

Even though it works better with V30s in a bigger cab, I'd pick a more open-sounding speaker for a 1x12", probably a G12H-30, or if you're not needing the sensitivity and bottom-end, a Greenback - they're both speakers which sound much better in 1x12"s and with low input power, in my experience.

Try opening the back first though, even a gap of 2" from the wall is plenty to let it breathe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;434429" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Well well well!

It could be that the combo speaker is just not broken in - V30s are one of the speakers which show this the most. They tend to sound stiff, middy and a bit flat when they're new. Small 1x12"s are where they work least well anyway though.

Even though it works better with V30s in a bigger cab, I'd pick a more open-sounding speaker for a 1x12", probably a G12H-30, or if you're not needing the sensitivity and bottom-end, a Greenback - they're both speakers which sound much better in 1x12"s and with low input power, in my experience.

Try opening the back first though, even a gap of 2" from the wall is plenty to let it breathe.

Thanks for the advice. I think a G12H-30 would suit. Not a fan of greenbacks and the lack of bottom end.
    Well some of us are waiting for a day 2 opinion you know :D
  • underdog;435278" said:
    Well some of us are waiting for a day 2 opinion you know :D

Sorry buddy!

Well since I've been running it through the 2 x12 I'm getting some awesome tones from it in both 1 and 5 watt settings.

Apart from the GNR stuff I played some drop B tuning riffs through it and it sounds great. Really nice tight bottom end. This really is a great all round rock amp.

However after going back through the internal speaker it really let's it down, though it could need breaking in properly as ICBM said.

I think it's now going to be a keeper but they should have made it as a head in my opinion and I will mod it to a head format eventually.
    Cool, good enough for me. I've a couple of cabs here with different speakers so I'm seriously tempted now (like I wasn't before :D)
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited December 2014
    underdog;435332" said:
    Cool, good enough for me. I've a couple of cabs here with different speakers so I'm seriously tempted now (like I wasn't before :D)
    Definitely worth a punt mate. Especially at that price and a free pedal.
    :D
  • This has to be the best Marshall i've played in years.

Yes it does the Slash thing bang on but it will also cover a lot of ground. Loving the Adrich/Wylde tones i'm pulling out of it too.

Great blues tones at lower gain settings too and even sounds great with my strats
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @fortheloveofguitar

Great to hear you like it. What you were saying about it being to boxy is interesting. I never noticed that for the (admittedly only half an hour) time I spent playing through it. But then I was playing in a sound proofed demo room. Maybe mic'ing it up might give similar less boxy sounding results. 

I see where you're coming from though. The DSL5C combo I've got has a 'deep switch' on it which gives a sort of bass boost and makes the whole thing far less boxy. Without it engaged it's not terrible, but I do miss that bottom end. 

• Skarloey said:
    @fortheloveofguitar

Great to hear you like it. What you were saying about it being to boxy is interesting. I never noticed that for the (admittedly only half an hour) time I spent playing through it. But then I was playing in a sound proofed demo room. Maybe mic'ing it up might give similar less boxy sounding results. 

I see where you're coming from though. The DSL5C combo I've got has a 'deep switch' on it which gives a sort of bass boost and makes the whole thing far less boxy. Without it engaged it's not terrible, but I do miss that bottom end. 
    I'm currently running the internal speaker as well as the 2x12 and its killer.

Shame about the lack of an fx loop as that would have made it awesome
    What 2 x 12 are you using?