Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• Rickenbacker guitars are super cool.

Also, there is something undeniably cool about a p bass. They're just cool basses.

I love musicman sterling basses, but I don't think they're as cool as a p bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Rics are most definitely and as mentioned above stickers can be cool.

Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited January 2015
    impmann;462117" said:
    I'd also chuck into this the Vox AC30 for being achingly cool. Not the modern reissues (sorry) and nothing made after the Dartford Road factory fire. Those early amps (esp the non-top boost ones IMHO) are magical - truly inspirational amps and I really miss mine... I don't miss loading three of the fuckers into the van at the end of a gig, though... Over the top? Three? Yes - ridiculous, but hey that was Britpop in the 90s...

@impmann - One of these then? Early 1964 copper non Top Boost with blue speakers....
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited January 2015
    Oh, and is a 12 string Rickenbacker twice as cool as a 6?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @marantz1300 can I come round your house and play all your stuff?

You have loads of awesome stuff
    Most of its gone.
    I want another old SG or early Melody Maker now.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    @NervousJohn - yep that's the kiddie. My personal fave was the 'Bass' model (at one point I owned four of them).

Sacrilegiously, I used to run mine with old Celestion Greenbacks... Back in the 90s there were *loads* of fucked up AC30s available mostly with clattered speakers. I used to buy them up, fix them up and gig them but found by a happy accident that I preferred the sound of a pair of s/h greenbacks to the blues. I had a good line at one point buying them up, yanking the blues out and selling the speakers for more than I paid for the amps... Yes, I know that's sacrelige... But bear in mind the most I ever paid buying one of these wrecks was £130.

Sadly the last two I had in 2000 (the best sounding ones I ever had) were sold off for a daft £375 each - one had its blues refitted. Oh, I have wept over that decision since.

I will buy another, but I doubt I'll get one *that* cheap again.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    edited January 2015
    Oh and for extra cool - I used to live almost opposite the site of the Dartford Road factory and used to frequent Alan Pyne's shop that he built on the site. I think it was through him (and playing through the ex Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames *blue* AC30) that I fell in love with these amps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Not seen many Rickenbackers in this thread.

I would say they were cool. I personally dont like the way they play or sound but that doesnt stop them being cool
    Allow me to fix that for you!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    How's this for cool?

http://www.gigslutz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/seasicksteve.jpg
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    How's this for cool?

http://www.gigslutz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/seasicksteve.jpg
    not very

unless hobo chic is your thing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited January 2015
    He is now a millionaire who continues to dress up as a hobo, which is definitely not cool.

As for the guitar, looks a bit contrived to me. All the regular hobo's with guitars just have one of those cheapo Stagg or Encore strat's or something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I know it's mine but I think these Tele Plus's are cool as! Do anything apart from the whammy thing and good looking without being a tart's handbag.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry man, but 6 saddles and a switch on a Tele is not cool.

Sure it's a lovely guitar, but cool it aint.
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I shall reserve the right to disagree!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNine said:
    Sorry man, but 6 saddles and a switch on a Tele is not cool.

Sure it's a lovely guitar, but cool it aint.
    sticking to the old ways and bad intonation is also not cool 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746

CloudNine said:
    He is now a millionaire who continues to dress up as a hobo, which is definitely not cool.

As for the guitar, looks a bit contrived to me. All the regular hobo's with guitars just have one of those cheapo Stagg or Encore strat's or something.

Maybe, but before he was famous and rich and truly hobo, he was the coolest cat around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMbjwBzWYw

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    @meltedbuzzbox You telling me you have never had a 3 saddle Tele that can be intonated properly? :D

I have had plenty.

Anyway, 'coolness' is not about ability to intonate properly, so you have also clearly missed the point of the thread.

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Subzero IMO

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • View Full Size Image
    Les Paul+Start
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Subzero IMO

So wrong in so many aspects. Probably horrendous to play, Floyd on an Archtop....

But into the Fridge with it- cool as fuck

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom