Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• Loobs;461921" said:
    Seriously, seriously cool. 

Haters gonna hate. 
    It's getting late. You've probably had enough now....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My 2p.

Cool is a moveable goalpost.

/thread
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I wish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It's not about the quality of the amps, it's about the bad taste in the mouth you get with the new ones.
    cheap labour in china/mexico/indonesia/other countries exploited by the big companies?

There is always dirt if you dig deep enough. This applies to everything.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Loobs said:
    Cool

Not cool:

WISDOM!!!!
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    ThePrettyDamned;461453" said:
    [quote="bigfuzz;461426"]so when will this cool wall turn into amp territory? 
    Problem is, most amps are really uncool.

Old Marshall, fender, orange = cool.

Most new amps less so.

Most boutique "flavour of the month name brand that tgp arbitrarily likes more than others" brands are fairly uncool.

Marshall mgdfx is in the fire. [/quote]

I reckon my newest amp could almost be considered cool although it's not an old or well known brand.

The black tweed finish, silver piping and brushed metal faceplate give it a different edge. It's also only got a volume and tone control so it must be cool!!

My other amps aren't that bad either in my opinion when it comes to cool.  Although I bet the Falcon will get some stick as always ;)
    imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the Dual Rec and the 5150 are cool amps. 

They're modern, yeah, but both are absolutely staple and genre defining, just liked ye olde fender tweed. 

But like, HEAVY AS BALLS. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM;461883" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:I know, but scour any guitar forum and not many people are saying 'I want Hiwatt tone', they're asking for black face, tweed, Marshall or Vox usually.

I think it's because there is a widespread fallacy that "no-one needs more than 15W" or whatever the current fashionable low-power Nazism is, and Hiwatts start at 50W (and are conservative even at that) and go up to 400W. (And are still conservative even at that :D.)

The fact that a Hiwatt 200 sounds better at whisper volume than just about any amp I've ever heard seems to fall on deaf ears. (Irony intentional ;).)
    @ICBM this is one thing (among many other things) that you and i completely agree on...low watt amps are cute but nothing beats a big amp at any volume!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27107
    bigfuzz;461643" said:
    might upset some but stickers on guitars.. not cool?
    Depends on the guitar. 

Here, cool:

Here, not so cool:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    +1 for HiWatts. Amazing amps and yes, I agree with @ICBM that they sound wonderful at low volume as well as wound up. They are one of the few...

I'd also chuck into this the Vox AC30 for being achingly cool. Not the modern reissues (sorry) and nothing made after the Dartford Road factory fire. Those early amps (esp the non-top boost ones IMHO) are magical - truly inspirational amps and I really miss mine... I don't miss loading three of the fuckers into the van at the end of a gig, though... Over the top? Three? Yes - ridiculous, but hey that was Britpop in the 90s...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I think this is my favourite thread I've seen for ages. There's some great stuff.

Just on a side note as we can be classed as guitar geeks in real world "cool" is anything we find cool in fact uncool? That was the school geek system that occurred at my school.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3626
    edited January 2015
    @nickb_boy

Love the look of the Satellite and the Falcon is IMO one of the best looking amps ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3626
    Loobs said:

Overneat everything-boutique pedalboards! 

Agree with that,

Too pernickety by far ..............the antithesis of cool.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Loobs said:
    I played a (heaven forbid) Music Ground repro head and combo back in the day and thought they sounded just as good as my real one.

Audio Bros (90s US reissues) are also supposed to be good.  

There was a guy up in Doncaster ex Hiwatt that built a lot of the early MG ones, and yeah, they're pretty good. He left, after a row with the Harrison's ( quelle surprise) and not sure what happened after thT. The UK built MG are good amps; the Chinese T series are OK too! but the max watt are awful. I get pissed off when they try and sell the repros as original though. Anyway HNY all.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Loobs said:
    Ok, uncool, quite a short list. 

Telemasters (sorry)

Acoustics painted black (or any other colour) 

Amps with more than ten knobs.

Suhr/Anderson headstocks 

Putting a Bigsby on every fucking guitar that can accept one. 

Floyd Roses

8/9 string guitars 

Overneat everything-boutique pedalboards! 

Modelling amps

Jackson guitars

Blackstar amps

PRS

What's cool:

Teles, Jazzmasters, jazz guitars, vintage Japanese guitars, SGs, LPs, Travis Bean, Hiwatt, vintage Marshall, fuzzes, analog choruses, tape echos, EGC, G&L, Supro amps, Fender amps, modular synths, vintage synths, anything made by Moog, music man basses

Theremin- Ice Cold.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Black acoustics uncool?

Couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Johnny Cash played a black acoustic, which proves the point...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not seen many Rickenbackers in this thread.

I would say they were cool. I personally dont like the way they play or sound but that doesnt stop them being cool
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @marantz1300 can I come round your house and play all your stuff?

You have loads of awesome stuff
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Not seen many Rickenbackers in this thread.

I would say they were cool. I personally dont like the way they play or sound but that doesnt stop them being cool
    You're right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom