A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    So what exactly does B stock mean?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    TTony said:
    I used email addresses listed on their contact-us page.
    Herr T's address is on the About Us page, under his photo.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    axisus said:
    So what exactly does B stock mean?
    Returned goods, presumably under the 30 day approval thing rather than returned due to being faulty in some way. So, some amount of playing or use may be evident. I wouldn't buy B stock on the basis that there might be something subtle behind an item being returned, like a guitar with a dead or abnormally resonant spot on the fretboard. Generally, I don't think the discount on B stock is big enough to be worth taking the chance, although that might be different if I was in the shop in Germany and able to try things out.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Nomad said:
    TTony said:
    I used email addresses listed on their contact-us page.
    Herr T's address is on the About Us page, under his photo.
    Think we may be getting carried away with our own self importance here. Mr Thomann runs a multi million pound business employing 1200 people, I'm not sure we should be bothering him with this. It would be nice to get a response from Thomann but remember that they must be making the best part of fuck all on these guitars anyway, selling 20 of them to us might net them a few hundred quid profit. Or they could sell an American Standard Strat to a single customer and make the same money. 

It's their PR department that is most likely to get excited, but let's be realistic at what we're asking for here, it's probably not as exciting to them as it is to us. I'm also happy to pay £52 for thier Tele without discount.

Of course, they may just prove me wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price! If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/harley-benton-bz-7000-nt-deluxe-series-7-string-electric-bass/1086875889

Theres the gumtree ad for it! They added £120 to the price, although it seems to have different pickups to the Thomann advertised one?
    'Awibble'
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    I have ordered one B-stock one and one standard one.  Obviously I will be stripping finishes anyway so cosmetic blemishes won't bother me, and I won't be too worried about minor hardware issues as its likely to be replaced - but I am interested to see what makes something B-stock and I will discuss it all here when they arrive
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Hertz32 said:
    I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price! If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.
    hmm
    I wonder: If I put guitar strings in the top 3 or 4 courses, I could make a very wide range instrument, and active EQ looks good for that

• Hertz32;491111" said:
    I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price!

If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.
    I saw those last week, they had one of those £37 'hog acoustics for £120... I lol'd! :D
    Hertz32 said:
    is this an old version:

Hertz32 said:
    is this an old version:

this looks even more similar

ToneControl;491139" said:
    Hertz32 said:

I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price!

If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.

hmmI wonder: If I put guitar strings in the top 3 or 4 courses, I could make a very wide range instrument, and active EQ looks good for that
    Maybe... The ball ends on Guitar strings are far snaller than Bass ones. You can get bass strings that thin though. Let me know if you qre serious about doing itband I can point you in the direction of places that do it.
    They are BEADGBE stock, I'm tempted to go F#BEADGB with one. P
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    Hertz32 said:

hmmI wonder: If I put guitar strings in the top 3 or 4 courses, I could make a very wide range instrument, and active EQ looks good for that
    Maybe... The ball ends on Guitar strings are far snaller than Bass ones. You can get bass strings that thin though. Let me know if you qre serious about doing itband I can point you in the direction of places that do it.
    ta

actually now I think about it, 35 inches would be long for a guitar string
    I can get them to fit 30 inch instruments, but 35 would probably be very long

the HB has these fitted: 17-25-40-60-80-100-130
    so 17 is the E an octave below a guitar top E

at that same tension,

with a 12, you get A (220Hz)

9 gets you to D or E

Can you get bass strings as thin as that?

Hertz32;491111" said:

I saw those last week, they had one of those £37 'hog acoustics for £120... I lol'd! :D
    the ultimate irony, the shops stock directly from Thomann, and make a profit

I have wondered when they sell off end of line stuff if shops could turn a profit using them as a supplier
    does anyone do decals that could cover an HB logo?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27510
    dindude said:
    Think we may be getting carried away with our own self importance here. 

It's their PR department that is most likely to get excited, but let's be realistic at what we're asking for here, it's probably not as exciting to them as it is to us.
    That's pretty much my thinking.

I tried their Marketing department, and then their "International" department just in case there was a language problem.

Agree, they're probably only making a small margin on these, but the profile that theFB gets in Google searches means that a decent set of guitars produced from this challenge could well result in a lot more profile/sales than just the 20-odd to us, and who knows how much subsequent business once someone orders a cheapy, finds the quality/service good, and then goes back to T for their next guitar/s rather than one of the other internet box shifters.

I'd be disappointed if the reply was just "thanks, but no thanks", but I'm more disappointed not to have had a reply at all.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    you'll all get 5 euros for your reviews on the purchases- or have they stopped that now?
    Hertz32 said:
    Hertz32 said:

ta

actually now I think about it, 35 inches would be long for a guitar string
    I can get them to fit 30 inch instruments, but 35 would probably be very long

the HB has these fitted: 17-25-40-60-80-100-130
    so 17 is the E an octave below a guitar top E

at that same tension,

with a 12, you get A (220Hz)

9 gets you to D or E

Can you get bass strings as thin as that?

Mate, You can get .070 to .008 bass string sets :) You have to order from the US at $31 a pack + shipping + import BUT they are nice as all hell and will last ages as long as you get the right ones. 
    In a month or two's time I'll be putting an order in for a bunch of 8 string sets for my Agile, and @Is_Ser_Fluffehh 's Schecter. If you fancy them, let me know and I'll order it all together and save a bit on import and shipping. I'll post them on to you when I get them, If you want them that is :)

Here's the page with all their 7 string bass sets. They do Balanced, Traditional, Drop tuned and Fifths sets of strings. Use the little drop down menu thing at the bottom left and it'll see you right. 
     http://circlekstrings.com/store/7-strings.html
    'Awibble'
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    So I just need four of you to go in with me on this bundle...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Miss August 2013 and Old Gregg seem to have something rather in common... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom