Winner Drawn - The ThorpyFX Pedal Tour and Raffle

What's Hot

Comments

• It's landed!

So, I use a peavey bandit.  Any distortion pedal will sound good through a high end amp - the real test is what it can do to a lower end amp, I reckon. 

I'm pleased to report that, after tweaking to near enough the same settings as @wazmeister, it's made a great preamp drive pedal into a clean Peavey Bandit!

I am running it after most of my other boxes, bar delay. This way, it is working as a preamp, revoicing the amp as well as adding gain.  It sounds really nice! It works great for Chilli Peppers riffs, and the bass is wonderful - the body knob is genuinely useful, I set mine to just above half way for bedroom volume, but as the amp volume goes up, the body knob goes down to avoid woofiness. 

Best bit - it loves other pedals.  I am treating it as a slightly hairy clean tone, where if I smash chords on a strat it gets a bit crunchy. Add a distortion or fuzz on top, and it sounds great! Definitely works brilliantly well to give my Peavey a new voice. 

I want to buy one if I don't win it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to try and get some 'in the room' recordings at some point, tomorrow afternoon hopefully. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, no recordings yet but keep your fingers crossed. I've just been super busy, more work tomorrow and Friday means I've not had much chance to play.

Anyway, to further my review... In my opinion, it works best as a cleanish "amp-revoice". Once you're beyond crunch, it starts sounding more pedally and while it's as good as any other jcm in a box types, it's not what I'd use it for.

Miles better with the gain at half or a touch either side. This gets you a pretty responsive Marshall overdrive. I put it after all other drives, and can now have my other drive pedals run into it - volume at unity. This means it sounds like I'm running my df-2 into a Marshall! The body control is really quite powerful, and puts me in mind of one of the controls on the Marshall gv-2, another great sounding pedal (but without the same touch responsiveness of this beast, and a great deal harder to dial in).

It's really a great pedal, and I really do want(need?) to own one. It makes the bandit genuinely sound like a Marshall, and it's very convincing. Very responsive and the drive fades very nicely for a solid state circuit, too, without too much fizzing. It's fantastic!

Not looking forward to sending it on. :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    Thanks to @theprettydamned this little beauty landed on my doorstep today. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out tonight.

I have bandcamp on monday so looking forward to seeing how it sounds with drums and bass.

Once again thanks TPD for posting it out so quickly
  • Apologies for not posting it sooner really! It's a neat pedal, well worth the wait.
    edited April 2015
    Alrighty, so here's a quick demo of the wonderful, chewy, almost fuzz like tones of @Thorpy6 's distortion pedal.  I hope you get an idea of what it can do and what it sounds like, i'll hopefully get a demo with the pedal board over the weekend.

Controls are, top left - volume, top right - gain, bottom left - body and bottom right - tone

Guitar used - Ibanez Artcore AFS75T hollow body with humbuckers going into the clean channel of a Peavey Bandit 112
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    DesVegas said:
    Alrighty, so here's a quick demo of the wonderful, chewy, almost fuzz like tones of @Thorpy6 's distortion pedal.  I hope you get an idea of what it can do and what it sounds like, i'll hopefully get a demo with the pedal board over the weekend.

Controls are, top left - volume, top right - gain, bottom left - body and bottom right - tone

Nice clip...... thanks very much!!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited April 2015
    Alrighty, i fired this thing up last night at band practice and it is a beast .. a very heavy bassy beast if you want it to be, it also cleans up very nicely, so hugely versatile with a board friendly footprint... excellent, a shame it has to move on, 

Who's next Monq??
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17709
    tFB Trader
    Unless I've missed anyone, or anyone wants to jump in and join the tour then we are at an end!

Draw (by puppy) will be next week!
    tFB Trader
    Guys, i really hope you have all enjoyed this and it has at least raised some money for the fretboard, the pedal isn't one of my new core line however....... i like this type of circuit so you never know!! good luck for those in the draw!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    RELEASE....THE PUPPY!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    If the winner is a Mr M Quixote there will be eyebrows raised. ~O)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17709
    tFB Trader
    The competition is going to be drawn in a day or two. 

The tour is over, but if anyone else wants to enter the raffle now's your chance.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27773
    If the winner is a Mr M Quixote there will be eyebrows raised. ~O)
    Not least *my* eyebrows.

It's my puppy that'll be making the draw.  If she gets it wrong, she's going to be a hungry puppy.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    What if I put my name into the hat, is that acceptable?
    thorpy6 said:
    You want to (try to) win it back ???
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    thorpy6 said:
    You want to (try to) win it back ???

I was just joking, that'd be very bad taste
    The list of entrants is now posted over here - video of the draw and winning number will be posted at noon.

:)
    The winner is announced (on the other thread, linked above).

Thanks again to everyone who entered, and particularly to @thorpy6 for donating such a popular prize.

:)