Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Back up amp

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    If you need to buy something just to replace your amp at a gig the Pod is overkill. You can get the same effective result for far less money and in a much smaller package.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    What would you suggest a cheap amp then ICBM, like the belcat you mentioned? I must admit I wasn't looking forward to lugging another piece of kit at a gig but, C'est le vie ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    edited October 2013
    What would you suggest a cheap amp then ICBM, like the belcat you mentioned? I must admit I wasn't looking forward to lugging another piece of kit at a gig but, C'est le vie ;)
    No, I meant that if you're looking for just an amp-simulator box which goes between your pedalboard and the PA, there are many much smaller and cheaper things than the Pod which will do that basic job - eg one of the Joyo 'amp' pedals (AC Tone - Vox; American - Fender; British - Marshall; California - Boogie) which are the size of a normal pedal and only cost about £30 - or if you want the 'real thing', the Tech21 SansAmp pedals they're copied from.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well that sounds perfect. So all I need to do is, if my amp blows my setup would be :-

Guitar > pedals > joyo amp sim > PA

The only problem I can see is that my sound will be in front of me but get if it gets me through the gig so be it :)
    ICBM;55518" said:
    hotpickups said:

No, I meant that if you're looking for just an amp-simulator box which goes between your pedalboard and the PA, there are many much smaller and cheaper things than the Pod which will do that basic job - eg one of the Joyo 'amp' pedals (AC Tone - Vox; American - Fender; British - Marshall; California - Boogie) which are the size of a normal pedal and only cost about £30 - or if you want the 'real thing', the Tech21 SansAmp pedals they're copied from.
    ICBM;55518" said:
    hotpickups said:

Just been researching what ICBM said about the Joyo amp sim products. Sorry if I sound naive but isn't this just an overdrive pedal? I have an overdrive pedal on my board already so why would using that into my pa/mixer sound awful. Or am I missing something?

What is so different about these amp simulators that a normal overdrive pedal hasn't that makes it sound good when used at an emergency like I have already mentioned etc?
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    A speaker simulator. Simples.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• They have a speaker simulator. So it works as an overdrive or preamp, but it also adds in a fake speaker to the sound. Try running a drive pedal into a power amp, then run a drive pedal with speaker sim into it. It'll sound miles better, less wasp in a jar, more like a real amp.
    Very clever stuff. Don't know why I've never seen anyone use one. Maybe they've been lucky with the kit etc ;)
    skay;55738" said:
    A speaker simulator. Simples.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    edited October 2013
    Maybe I should have elaborated on that a little. 

If you've ever just plugged your electric guitar directly into a old style cassette 4-track recorder/PA/HiFi or whatnot, the sound is very dry and twangy, but not in a good way. The guitar is not a good full-eq type sound and sounds weird when heard through something that amplifies all the frequencies equally.

Adding an overdrive pedal will just distort/overdrive/drive etc this dry signal but it will not make it sound like the usual sound you get going through an amp, which is adding/subtracting the eq to make the familiar pleasant sounds we normally hear that are more suited to a guitars range of eq.

The Joyo pedal is an effects pedal with a built-in speaker simulator that mimics the action of a guitar speaker with all the specific eq stuff it normally does to the sound and makes that sound suitable for amplifying through a full spectrum eq device like a PA.

Hope this makes sense :)

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

Perfect sense. Thanks skay.

The joyo sounds just want I need then. The tech21 that it copies is good too but I wouldn't use half of it.

Thanks again
    skay;55749" said:
    Maybe I should have elaborated on that a little. 

If you've ever just plugged your electric guitar directly into a old style cassette 4-track recorder/PA/HiFi or whatnot, the sound is very dry and twangy, but not in a good way. The guitar is not a good full-eq type sound and sounds weird when heard through something that amplifies all the frequencies equally.

Adding an overdrive pedal will just distort/overdrive/drive etc this dry signal but it will not make it sound like the usual sound you get going through an amp, which is adding/subtracting the eq to make the familiar pleasant sounds we normally hear that are more suited to a guitars range of eq.

The Joyo pedal is an effects pedal with a built-in speaker simulator that mimics the action of a guitar speaker with all the specific eq stuff it normally does to the sound and makes that sound suitable for amplifying through a full spectrum eq device like a PA.

Hope this makes sense :)
    Ill be ordering my Joyo American amp simulator tomorrow guys so thanks for directing me to that decision. Tech21 Blonde sounds pretty good too although somewhat more expensive. I don't know how joyo do it so cheaply.
  • A pod is fifty squid on eBay. The extra money would be well spent in my eyes. Especially if you were willing to buy another amp. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Well yes I guess but I certainly would never use a pod otherwise. Rather spend the extra cash on some strings :) Not wanting to lug another box/amp around either unless I have to, so the pedal amp sim sounds perfect now.
    Thanks anyway
    A pod is fifty squid on eBay. The extra money would be well spent in my eyes. Especially if you were willing to buy another amp. 

I did read somewhere that it might be a good idea that one should use a DI box if you are doing what I am planning to do etc. The joyo can be noisy or not sound its best if not using a DI .., apparently :)
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    edited October 2013
    My singer plays a bit of rhythm on about a 3rd of the set to 'fill the sound out'. And more importantly to keep him happy/quiet!
    If my amp ever died at a gig, I'd just plug into his! :D actually did it once when my wireless died - didn't have enough time to get new batteries in before the main solo in go your own way so I just grabbed his lead!
    Seriously though' I've got a line 6 xt live that's set to go into a PA with 4 presets; fender clean, fender crunch, heavy Marshall rhythm and lead. Kept on a cheap board with its PSU and all the necessary cables attached to plug straight in to any PA and carry on like nothing happened! That's my plan B and sometimes my rehearsal set up
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

Have you considered the EHX 22Caliber? You can just plug it in to the speaker if the amp goes tits up at a gig & carry on.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/electro-harmonix-22-caliber-225244

I have been looking for a simlar solution should my head blow a valve or worse. This seems to be the least fuss.

Just had a funny conversation at coda-music shop. Apparently he's been taking calls about the Joyo amp simulator pedal asking if it can be used instead of an amp. He assured me that this isn't a good route to go as he has done for the other callers. He said maybe something has been on the forums suggesting it might be ok :). I had to own up and said it was probably my thread that might have started it all off. The power of the forums eh :)

Anyway I thought I'd share that he said for my purpose I would need at least a Line 6 Pod 2.0/HD etc. Not a pocket POD though. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    JD50 said:

Have you considered the EHX 22Caliber? You can just plug it in to the speaker if the amp goes tits up at a gig & carry on.

I have been looking for a simlar solution should my head blow a valve or worse. This seems to be the least fuss.

They were mentioned earlier in the thread. I had the Magnum 44 version, I liked it a lot and used it at rehearsals...right up until the point it died in a big bang, small flash and nasty smell. I'd bought it new so Andertons replaced it under warranty, but I never trusted it after that and sold it on. I don't want a back-up I don't trust.

What I do like about the EHX 22/44, Orange Micro Terror, Crate Powerblock type of thing is that they're something you still use with a speaker cab. We generally play crappy pubs with just the vocals through the PA and only sometimes with monitors, so when I've tried playing using a Pod through the PA it's been a horrible experience

I have a combo so I don't want to muck around at the back of the amp plugging speakers etc. So it may have to be a cheap amp for me. Belcat? :)

JD50 said:

They were mentioned earlier in the thread. I had the Magnum 44 version, I liked it a lot and used it at rehearsals...right up until the point it died in a big bang, small flash and nasty smell. I'd bought it new so Andertons replaced it under warranty, but I never trusted it after that and sold it on. I don't want a back-up I don't trust.

What I do like about the EHX 22/44, Orange Micro Terror, Crate Powerblock type of thing is that they're something you still use with a speaker cab. We generally play crappy pubs with just the vocals through the PA and only sometimes with monitors, so when I've tried playing using a Pod through the PA it's been a horrible experience

edited October 2013
    Just checked out that link for the 22 calibre. Not my sound at all but could certainly get me through a gig. Adding pedals I presume would sound ok? Could this go straight into the mixer/PA etc?