Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Back up amp

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013
    Just checked out that link for the 22 calibre. Not my sound at all but could certainly get me through a gig. Adding pedals I presume would sound ok? Could this go straight into the mixer/PA etc?

It's fine with pedals (as long as it's at the end of the chain, the manual warns about that 3 times IIRC). However it's not a pedal, it is a power amp so should only go into a speaker cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Ah thats not going to suit me then as I want to go into the mixer/PA :( It's gonna have to be a cheap amp for me then

Just checked out that link for the 22 calibre. Not my sound at all but could certainly get me through a gig. Adding pedals I presume would sound ok? Could this go straight into the mixer/PA etc?

It's fine with pedals (as long as it's at the end of the chain, the manual warns about that 3 times IIRC). However it's not a pedal, it is a power amp so should only go into a speaker cab.

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Get the cheapest POD you can find. :)
    Looking at them as we speak :(

Thanks again
    ddlooping;56587" said:
    Get the cheapest POD you can find. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    edited October 2013
    hotpickups;56505" said:
    Just had a funny conversation at coda-music shop. Apparently he's been taking calls about the Joyo amp simulator pedal asking if it can be used instead of an amp. He assured me that this isn't a good route to go as he has done for the other callers. He said maybe something has been on the forums suggesting it might be ok :). I had to own up and said it was probably my thread that might have started it all off. The power of the forums eh :)

Anyway I thought I'd share that he said for my purpose I would need at least a Line 6 Pod 2.0/HD etc. Not a pocket POD though. 
    Sorry, but that's bollocks. The Joyos will work fine if they're copies of the Tech21 pedals - I've used the SansAmp GT-2 (which is just an all-in-one version of the 'amp' pedals) exactly like that. To be fair I don't really 'like' it but it will absolutely do the job as a gig backup.

You don't need to spend as much as the Pod... it sounds suspiciously like he saw someone coming who didn't quite know what they needed and decided they should spend more money.

If you want something even more basic, the Digitech Bad Monkey/Screamin' Blues/Hot Head pedals also have speaker-emulated outputs, and they're also in the £30 range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes you maybe right there ICBM. I certainly wouldn't go to the expense of a pod or similar as I feel it would be a waste. Need to try one really I guess. I could always send it back, unless I can find a cheap tech21 blonde somewhere which is what he mentioned too. But I think he just saw them as another overdrive type pedal and not for the use I have for it
    One more thing ICBM. I've been reading about pedals like tge Tech21 blonde that if you were to go into a mixer/PA or computer, as I do, I would need a DI box. Would you agree ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    Into a PA or a proper recording desk it will most likely be better, yes - particularly if it's on stage or in a studio with a fair distance from where you are to the desk. Most sound engineers would want you to use their DI box though, so it's probably unnecessary to have your own.

Into a simple computer sound input it won't matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks ICBM your advice and expertise has been invaluable. The type of gigs I do are quite low key at the moment and we take our own PA and mixer etc. So having our own DI box is the way forward. I'll have to stagger my payments for kit so I guess using the pedal without a DI box won't be too bad? Until I get a bit more gig money to purchase one etc.

Also the mixer and mackie PA are right beside me almost :)
  • You might want to consider the Behringer ULTRA-G GI100 ,a DI box with 4x12 speaker sim.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    My backup is a Blackstar HT-Dual currently.
  • hotpickups;56505" said:
    Just had a funny conversation at coda-music shop. Apparently he's been taking calls about the Joyo amp simulator pedal asking if it can be used instead of an amp. He assured me that this isn't a good route to go as he has done for the other callers. He said maybe something has been on the forums suggesting it might be ok :). I had to own up and said it was probably my thread that might have started it all off. The power of the forums eh :)

Anyway I thought I'd share that he said for my purpose I would need at least a Line 6 Pod 2.0/HD etc. Not a pocket POD though. 
    He's wrong, sorry. If it has a speaker sim (which I'm fairly sure it does) it can run direct into a PA. It's not the greatest sound in the world, but it'll save the gig!

Better sounding ones include the AMT pedals, which are excellent. Look at Brett's reviews of them on YouTube, as he uses them as a pedal, a DI and a mix of both iirc.

• That's it running straight into an ipad with just reverb and delay added.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The Joya AC tone I had I found to be very impressive. It was cool plugged into my Ipad for recording, and it even sounded great as an overdrive into my actual ac30.

I would definitely avoid the .22/.44 calibre pedals because I hear about them breaking all the time. Ironic since earlier I suggested an amp that also is apparently unreliable, but so far my real life experience of the EHX amp-in-a-pedal boxes is that I've seen three and three have broken in short order.

To my mind the simplest back up amp is one that just replaces your broken one into the same speakers - that way there's the least faffing about mid-gig and the sound guy doesn't have to set up your channel again. For a long time I was bringing two ac30 heads to shows. That was the ultimate backing, having two the same, but that just feels like so much extra effort - not so much the weight of it, just that it's often an extra trip in and out and you have to be aware that there's an ac30 head kicking about somewhere in the venue that you're not using. There's something to be said for a solution that's small and light enough that it can be to hand without being obtrusive.
    AMT preamps pedals are way too gainy for what I want. Orrible ! :)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    *Ahem*

Has a speaker sim, emulates a fender :) and sounds the balls.
    It's ok but you have to use a dirt pedal to get it driving. I can't hear the tweed saturation when turned up and cranked like you can tech21 blonde for example?
    ThePrettyDamned;57133" said:
    hotpickups said:

*Ahem*

Has a speaker sim, emulates a fender :) and sounds the balls.
  • Yeah, it's emulating a fender twin that one... 

They might have another, they even have 2 channel versions now! They're probably no good for you.

Joyo American sound might be the best bet :)
    I think it is but I am somewhat loathed to go back to that shop who doesn't know exactly what they are selling etc :(
    Yes it has been a toss up between the Joyo American or the tech21 blonde. Which one will win I have no idea at the moment :) Big price difference I know but I have taken that route before and been really disappointed by being a cheap scape :)

Thanks for all your advice. This thread really highlighted an interest in this subject ;)
    Cirrus;57070" said:
    The Joya AC tone I had I found to be very impressive. It was cool plugged into my Ipad for recording, and it even sounded great as an overdrive into my actual ac30.

I would definitely avoid the .22/.44 calibre pedals because I hear about them breaking all the time. Ironic since earlier I suggested an amp that also is apparently unreliable, but so far my real life experience of the EHX amp-in-a-pedal boxes is that I've seen three and three have broken in short order.

To my mind the simplest back up amp is one that just replaces your broken one into the same speakers - that way there's the least faffing about mid-gig and the sound guy doesn't have to set up your channel again. For a long time I was bringing two ac30 heads to shows. That was the ultimate backing, having two the same, but that just feels like so much extra effort - not so much the weight of it, just that it's often an extra trip in and out and you have to be aware that there's an ac30 head kicking about somewhere in the venue that you're not using. There's something to be said for a solution that's small and light enough that it can be to hand without being obtrusive.