Who is your fave unsung hero guitarist?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Here's another- Hugh Cornwell- he might not be the best but hell his style worked with the Stranglers!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    p90fool said:
    markj said:
      Surely the Pat Boone-est Hendrix cover ever?
    Totally agree. That was so dull and soulless compared to Jimi Hendrix's 11 minute live version which is one of my favourite live tracks of all time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    p90fool said:
    markj said:
      Surely the Pat Boone-est Hendrix cover ever?
    Totally agree. That was so dull and soulless compared to Jimi Hendrix's 11 minute live version which is one of my favourite live tracks of all time.

Music for dental surgeries...oh wait a minute...have I done a dentist joke already?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    matt1973;593296" said:
    I think Francis Rossi deserves a shout. When it comes to simple, catchy guitar work that does its job well then his output is right up there.
    Yeah
    Everyone seems to think Quo are simple ... Until you try and cover them ... Then it's not so much
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Cabicular said:
    matt1973 said:
    I think Francis Rossi deserves a shout. When it comes to simple, catchy guitar work that does its job well then his output is right up there.
    Yeah
    Everyone seems to think Quo are simple ... Until you try and cover them ... Then it's not so much
    I would also put The Edge into that category.

He is so often put down by "good players" for supposedly not being much of one, for 'relying on effects', and apparently for being in the same band as Bono…

But every time I've ever heard a "good player" try to cover a U2 song accurately, it's been almost laughably, painfully bad. It's *far* harder than it sounds to play his parts, *with* the effects in the way he does, than it sounds - but he makes it look easy, which is another sign of a really good player.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    Although I'd totally dispute that The Edge is an unsung hero, I totally agree with @icbm ( a first there!) about him....talk also about innovators- he's right up there!

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Andy Partridge from XTC.  Solo on That Wave (starts about 2.10ish). Totally underrated player, writer, singer. 

Glen Tilbrook - the solo on Pulling Mussels From A Shell is one of my favourite ever (even though half of it is one note and a delay pedal - but that never stopped Neil Young!)

edited April 2015
    ^ I mentioned Glenn earlier- also, I'm proud to have performed with him and can call him a mate...!

I think I posted the Tele he signed for me yonks ago...

What a voice too!

I've played the Telecaster in that pic- a 66 with a B Bender on it!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2015
    I've got to ask, why is my suggestion of Billy Corgan being met with so many lols?

I don't see why it's an issue. He's a really good player, with great technique, an awesome tone and a style and feel all of his own (which I really enjoy listening to). But no-one seems to think of him in that way, everyone's focus (rightly so) is on his songwriting, which I find inconsistent but was at an all-time high on Siamese Dream, one of the best rock albums of all time. You don't hear so many people quoting him as a killer lead guitarist, even though he is.

Listening back to Soma, a lot of the solo is pretty strange and sounds kind of off-key, but then there's plenty of more conventional bits to balance it out. And the solo fits the song amazingly, gives it a HUGE lift. Here's something a little (only a little) less out-there. 2:00.

And 3:05.

I love his playing on this stuff. Such a shame he decided to disappear up his own arse.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22892
    Gwin Spencer of The Mother Station
    Frank Hannon of Tesla
    Dave Meniketti of Y&T
    Bruce Franklin and Rick Wartell of Trouble
    Every guitarist who's ever been in Wishbone Ash

Some better known than others, but all relatively unsung (IMO).

• Iamnobody said:
    Charlie Burchill?

Never usually offered up in lists of guitarists but has done some nice stuff and kept Simple Minds going for years.

It is said that The Edge took a lot from Charlie's playing...

beat me to it! Whenever this subject comes up, Charlie Burchill is always the first person that comes to mind. Apart from the fact that his playing is great, he's a one-man masterclass in playing no more than is needed. In an era when the phrase "playing for the song" is a cliche trotted out in almost every guitar interview, here's a guy who actually puts it into practice.

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Re. Corgan - I think the LOLs are down to the suggestion that he's unsung. He may be deeply out of fashion these days (doubtless in part due to his own actions and recent musical endeavours) but for ten years the guy was everywhere, inspiring thousands of teens to pick up the guitar. Oh, and he's had some signature guitars made by Fender and Squier. And almost made is acceptable for alt-rockers to pick up a Strat.
    Re Charlie B

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    timhulio said:
    Re. Corgan - I think the LOLs are down to the suggestion that he's unsung. He may be deeply out of fashion these days (doubtless in part due to his own actions and recent musical endeavours) but for ten years the guy was everywhere, inspiring thousands of teens to pick up the guitar. Oh, and he's had some signature guitars made by Fender and Squier. And almost made is acceptable for alt-rockers to pick up a Strat.
    Well all of this is before my time. I wasn't even born when Siamese Dream came out, so its cultural significance may be lost on me.

Fucking great album though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    RocknRollDave;593435" said:
    beat me to it! Whenever this subject comes up, Charlie Burchill is always the first person that comes to mind. Apart from the fact that his playing is great, he's a one-man masterclass in playing no more than is needed. In an era when the phrase "playing for the song" is a cliche trotted out in almost every guitar interview, here's a guy who actually puts it into practice.
    Funnily enough I've recently started to relive my youth by downloading a lot of music from the early to mid 80s and have been listening to a fair amount of old Simple Minds stuff.

Burchill's playing on things like 'Somewhere in the Summertime' is brilliant.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    edited April 2015

Gassage said:
    Re Charlie B

He's a great slide player, for sure

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Siamese Dream is a bloody great record.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Excuse me, I *AM* Clarke and I never said that! :D
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Ed O'Brien? Yorke is a fantastic rhythm player, Jonny Greenwood is obviously well recognised but...

The tasty layering and subtleties often came from Ed's hand.

So compared to the overall success of the band I'm saying he probably doesn't get that much recognition.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited April 2015
    I'd say Stephen Stills, although quite famous, is underrated. Just look at this:

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom