Who is your fave unsung hero guitarist?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sassafras;596664" said:
    Not sure Randy Rhoads qualifies as unsung.
    Well I am. :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584

+1 to Will Sergeant. Bunnymen gigs in the '80's were absolutely brilliant - Pete De Freitas and Les Pattinson were superb players too. Not sure if he's quite an unsung hero but Bob Mould's guitar playing is inspiring to me - think he might be more acknowledged as a song writer than a guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-ryub_yHI

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    JOHN McGEOCH

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm a fan of some session guitarists,

No idea his name, but one of meatloads touring guitarists is incredible.
    Justin Derrico who tours with Pink is awesome.
    Pete Thorn is a stunning player too

A mention for the (now ex) guitarist of Death Cab, nothing fancy just realllll tasteful playing in places.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Keith Scott guitarist for Bryan Adams since the start. Played and wrote some classic riffs and solos.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Jan Akkerman is brilliant, but hardly unsung
    I disagree ... I spoke to the editor of Guitarist magazine in 2000 about an interview as Jan was touring and had an album out and his reply was "not interested ... what's he ever done" ... he's not very well known as he was only really in the limelight for three years ... the people turning up to his gigs were old Focus fans and they slowly died away so he no longer tours in the UK.
    It saddens me to learn that. I've been to several of Thijs van Leer's shows (late 2000s) and would still go to more, plus would go to see Akkerman as well. I'd have thought any serious guitarist would at least know of Akkerman, even if not fully conversant with his music.

The editor sounds like a twat for not knowing what Akkerman has achieved.
    @Phil_aka_Pip .. it was Nev Martin .. he was nice about it and I guess he had a point. Focus are different as they had a few hit records and their music has been used on TV, in films and by Nike that has kept their presence high. Akkerman was also his worst enemy as he hated the press and for many years refused to play old Focus material.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Bob Dunn - he's the most unsungist guitarist ever.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Robin Guthrie 
    Peter Buck 
    Dave Fielding 
    Vini Reilly
    Jon Auer 
    John McGeoch
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • joeyowen;597107" said:

No idea his name, but one of meatloads touring guitarists is incredible.Justin Derrico who tours with Pink is awesome.Pete Thorn is a stunning player too

A mention for the (now ex) guitarist of Death Cab, nothing fancy just realllll tasteful playing in places.
    Meatload is either an incredible typo or a genius dating website username for a larger gentleman who would do anything for love, but won't do that.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22892
    joeyowen;597107" said:

No idea his name, but one of meatloads touring guitarists is incredible.Justin Derrico who tours with Pink is awesome.Pete Thorn is a stunning player too

Meatload is either an incredible typo or a genius dating website username for a larger gentleman who would do anything for love, but won't do that.

Paul Crook tours with Meat Loaf (and possibly also with Meatload), I wouldn't say he was all that amazing but of course it's a matter of opinion.  There's probably at least one other guitarist in the band too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha fucking typo.

I'll have a Google in a bit, see if I can find his name. Might also Google meatload too, will report back
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Jennifer Batten, anyone ?. I spent 15 minutes in her company at the London Guitar show many moons ago and she was really nice, quite shy really for someone who shared a stage with Jacko but happy to talk guitars and her tapping techniques.
    Ok, the Meatloaf guitarist I was thinking of is Randy Flowers.  I'm basing the opinion on a live show I saw and he really stood out I thought

and as for the first result for Meatload:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris Poland. Incredibly tasteful solos with really interesting, jazz-based melodies. Probably came from being a jazz musician in a thrash metal band!

Intro solo and the main one in this starting at 5:00 always grab me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851

I've mentioned a couple of these in other threads but still no real credit given to the following for supreme riffing and jangly shit:

East Bay Ray - the Dead Kennedys

Stan Lee - The Dickies

Mick Jones - The Clash

Bob Andrews - Generation X

Paul Fox - The Ruts

Tom Verlaine / Richard Lloyd - Television

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Great call with Mick Jones... IMHO, The Clash were the coolest band ever. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Reeves Gabrels ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    joeyowen said:
    Ok, the Meatloaf guitarist I was thinking of is Randy Flowers.  I'm basing the opinion on a live show I saw and he really stood out I thought

and as for the first result for Meatload:

does this count as "finger food" ?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I was thinking of Bob Marley's touring guitarists - (American) Al Anderson and( Brit )Junior Marvin. They both also appeared on many of the recordings and Anderson played on Peter Tosh's studio recordings. This is a lot of quite tasteful soloing. Neither had particularly impressive careers after Bob's demise although have recorded with a range of reggae and non reggae artists (e.g. Marvin recorded with Stevie Winwood). I saw Anderson ten years ago and he was a bit shakey but mixed melodic blues leads and reggae riddums in what was one of the most inspirational gigs I have been to. Considering how many people must have heard their playing in the last 40 years I'm not sure I've ever heard them name checked or any guitar magazine article. Marvin was called the British Hendrix in the 70's and turned down a gig with Stevie Wonder, surely he would make a great candidate for a Guitarist or G and B interview?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Prince for definite.  Sadly any material of his that gets posted to Youtube gets taken down pretty quickly so I can't link to much.  Of note his solo here is great:

Great stuff here too:

He has loads of good solos all over his albums.  Cracking solo in his song Guitar and also The Holy River.