Artists where you only like 1 of their albums

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
So following on from the thread about music you "get" but don't like...
Has anyone else found a corking album and then found that they don't like any of the artist's other ones?

I'll start with a couple:
- Muse. I like Showbiz but can't be doing with any of their other albums
- Nirvana. I only really like the MTV Unplugged album, I'm not at all fussed by the studio albums

And a couple of country/americana ones:
- John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters is one of my favourite albums, but haven't found anything else of his that I like
- Guy Clark - The Dark is a great album, but again I haven't found anything else of his I like
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5537
    Pearl Jam - Ten.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Galactic - absolutely love 'From The Corner To The Block', struggle to get into any of their other stuff.

Brand New Heavies - 'Shelter' gets at least a bi-annual residency on my metaphorical turntable, nothing else I've heard has grabbed me.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24835
    Wish You Were Here for me.

One of my favourite records of all time - but there isn't really another Floyd album I like in its entirety.

Does this make me a bad person?
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Bjork - the Selmasongs soundtrack from Dancer In The Dark is amazing, but I find everything else she's done to be pretty much unlistenable
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    also:
    Doves - Some Cities
    Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
    P J Harvey - Dry
    Portishead - Dummy
    Pat Martino - Conciousness
    Prong - Cleansing
    The Prodigy - Always Outnumbered
    Talking Heads - Remain In Light
    The Killers - Hot Fuss

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    edited May 2015
    A lot, actually… I went through my iTunes library and checked and was quite surprised how many I found.

Adele - 21
    Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
    The Cult - Love
    Don McLean - American Pie
    Green Day - American Idiot
    Icehouse - Love In Motion
    Jewel - 0304
    QOTSA - Songs For The Deaf
    Spandau Ballet - Journeys To Glory
    Whitesnake - Ready And Willing

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited May 2015
    DiscoStu;634108" said:
    Pearl Jam - Ten.
    Shit man have you listened to any more? Ten is my least favourite of theirs, which isn't a disservice to Ten just a sign of how much better they became.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Wish You Were Here for me.

One of my favourite records of all time - but there isn't really another Floyd album I like in its entirety.

Does this make me a bad person?
    Yes. Yes it does
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    underdog said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Pearl Jam - Ten.
    Shit man have you listened to any more? Ten is my least favourite of theirs, which isn't a disservice to Ten just a sign of how much better they became.
    Or maybe Ten is the only one he likes… everyone's different. Hot Fuss is my least favourite Killers album, but a lot of people seem to rate it as the only one they like. (See Fazer's post.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ICBM;634380" said:
    underdog said:

DiscoStu said:Pearl Jam - Ten.

Or maybe Ten is the only one he likes… everyone's different. Hot Fuss is my least favourite Killers album, but a lot of people seem to rate it as the only one they like. (See Fazer's post.)
    Maybe, which is why I asked ;)

Ten is too anthemic for me these days, great songs but over played I guess, I could honestly not foresee a situation where I'd ever need to hear Jeremy or Alive ever again, even live I groan inside when that first note of Alive comes in.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Qotsa -s/t
    Journey -s/t
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    A few of mine that stand out:

GnR - Appetite For Destruction

U2 - Joshua Tree

Kings Of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak

Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Killers - Sams Town

The Darkness - Permission To Land

Franz Ferdinand - S/T

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3917
    Has to be Coldplay, Parachutes for me. I even surprise myself here as I can't stand them now. That first album has something though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4717
    edited May 2015
    BigMonka said:
    So following on from the thread about music you "get" but don't like...
    Has anyone else found a corking album and then found that they don't like any of the artist's other ones?

I'll start with a couple:
    - Muse. I like Showbiz but can't be doing with any of their other albums
    - Nirvana. I only really like the MTV Unplugged album, I'm not at all fussed by the studio albums

And a couple of country/americana ones:
    - John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters is one of my favourite albums, but haven't found anything else of his that I like
    - Guy Clark - The Dark is a great album, but again I haven't found anything else of his I like

You don't like John Hiatt's stand out albums "Bring the Family" and "Slow turning" - two absolutely brilliant works of the songwriting art.

And you don't like Guy Clark's "Old No 1" and "Texas Cooking" and "Old Friends" - as above, total gems.

Fucking hell.

In your favour, unlike most of the people on here, you have stepped out of the box a bit so good on you.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    edited May 2015
    DiscoStu said:
    Pearl Jam - Ten.

I agree.  I carried on buying their next few albums but liked them less and less (although Stone Gossard's Bayleaf solo album is one of my all-time favourites).

I'm afraid the only other things which spring to mind are obscure '80s hard rock:

Babylon AD - first album
    Q5 - Steel the Light
    Vinnie Vincent Invasion - first album

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Alannis Morrisette?

*runs and hides*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

The Wildhearts.

Earth vs The Wildhearts was probably my favourite album from the 90's.   It all went quickly downhill from there, IMHO.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited May 2015
    Plus one for Pearl Jam - Ten. Can't believe the same band produced all those other albums

Nickelback - dunno the album name and I can't be assed to go looking

John Mayer - Continuum (I'm not including his blues band stuff which is superb)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    MD.45 - The Craving

OK, they actually only recorded one album, but then there was the remaster on which Dave Mustaine allegedly discovered that Lee Ving's vocal tracks had "gone missing" (because obviously you'd store them in a different place than the guitar, drum and bass tracks, wouldn't you?).  Fortunately, out of the goodness of his heart, good ol' Dave re-recorded the vocals himself.  The man's a saint.

(I believe Mustaine later admitted that he'd chosen to replace the vocals to appeal to Megadeth fans.  I wonder what Lee Ving thought?)

Anyway, original version - great album.  Remaster - not so great, but they are still very good songs.