Artists where you only like 1 of their albums

What's Hot

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    underdog said:
    DiscoStu;634108" said:
    Pearl Jam - Ten.
    Shit man have you listened to any more? Ten is my least favourite of theirs, which isn't a disservice to Ten just a sign of how much better they became.

Have a wisdom fella. As good as Ten is they have made some superb albums after that. Some of the recent albums are amongst their best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3917
    Amen to that. I've loved them since day 1 and yet Riot act remains my favourite by far. Each to their own of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    edited May 2015
    Dopesick said:

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

I was tempted to put that, but I really like Gish as well.

I remember reading an interview with Corgan where he was talking about some other band, saying how much better their album's production sounded compared with Mellon Collie.  He said something like "I wish we'd had more time to work on it, but there were so many songs to get through".  I thought why didn't you throw out all the crap ones then...?

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    RobDavies said:

The Wildhearts.

Earth vs The Wildhearts was probably my favourite album from the 90's.   It all went quickly downhill from there, IMHO.

:o if you only really listened to PHUQ and Endless Nameless after Earth vs. I can kind of understand that - but did you get to hear 'The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed' or the self-titled 'white album'? The former joyous riffy pop-rock at its best, the latter darker, heavier metal-edged stuff; both easily equal to Earth vs in my books. Of course, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316

Another one for Pearl Jam and Ten. I like the odd song off the other albums but Ten is the only one I can listen to without skipping a majority of the songs.

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the only PF album I can stand - they just seemed to get so wanky and pretentious on the other albums
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Pearl Jam - Ten.

I agree.  I carried on buying their next few albums but liked them less and less (although Stone Gossard's Bayleaf solo album is one of my all-time favourites).

I'm afraid the only other things which spring to mind are obscure '80s hard rock:

Babylon AD - first album
    Q5 - Steel the Light
    Vinnie Vincent Invasion - first album

Steel the light is incredible.

The rest... not so much.

@Reverend ; I had to mention Steel the Light because I listened to it quite recently, for the first time in probably 25 years, and was amazed how good it still sounds.  Then I listened to When the Mirror Cracks... what a load of complete and utter shite.  Where did it all go wrong?

As for the others, truth be told, I find even the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album pretty much unlistenable nowadays... but in 1986 I loved it to bits!  When they released the follow-up (with Mark Slaughter) I was mortified how bad it was.  Slaughter - the band - were bloody awful too.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    SidNewton;636314" said:
    underdog said:

DiscoStu;634108" said:Pearl Jam - Ten.

Shit man have you listened to any more? Ten is my least favourite of theirs, which isn't a disservice to Ten just a sign of how much better they became.

Have a wisdom fella. As good as Ten is they have made some superb albums after that. Some of the recent albums are amongst their best.
    I can never decide, I think probably Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam (avocado) is up there with their best, Yield is also excellent, Vs, lightning bolt and the list goes on and on :D

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Appetite For Destruction is the one for me.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Philly_Q;637707" said:
    @Reverend  I had to mention Steel the Light because I listened to it quite recently, for the first time in probably 25 years, and was amazed how good it still sounds.  Then I listened to When the Mirror Cracks... what a load of complete and utter shite.  Where did it all go wrong?As for the others, truth be told, I find even the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album pretty much unlistenable nowadays... but in 1986 I loved it to bits!  When they released the follow-up (with Mark Slaughter) I was mortified how bad it was.  Slaughter - the band - were bloody awful too.
    Odd that everyone on this forum knows the guitarist's name but have probably never heard of them.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947

Shame by Brad. Possibly my favourite album of all time, but the other stuff they have done is pretty much sentimental dross. 

I nearly said 'Kind of Blue', but then I remembered 'In a Silent Way', so Miles doesn't qualify. For such a talent, he's produced a massive amount of cack using a whole stack of amazing musicians.

Hejira....god I love that album, but everything else she's done makes me feel physically sick. 

Lodious said:

Shame by Brad. Possibly my favourite album of all time, but the other stuff they have done is pretty much sentimental dross. 

Gosh, I'd forgotten all about that album.  Now I'm reminded of other bands from those days like Pigeonhed, Mother Love Bone, My Sister's Machine, Temple of the Dog, Mad Season, Sunny Day Real Estate.... I haven't listened to any of them for years.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I went to see Shawn Smith a couple of weeks ago, and he used my plectrum to play one of the songs as he'd forgotten to bring one :-)
    He's a major talent, but he's lost a bit of the edge he had when he was singing about 'getting down on your motherfucking knees' Still awesome though.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    IanSavage said:
    RobDavies said:

The Wildhearts.

Earth vs The Wildhearts was probably my favourite album from the 90's.   It all went quickly downhill from there, IMHO.

:o if you only really listened to PHUQ and Endless Nameless after Earth vs. I can kind of understand that - but did you get to hear 'The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed' or the self-titled 'white album'? The former joyous riffy pop-rock at its best, the latter darker, heavier metal-edged stuff; both easily equal to Earth vs in my books. Of course, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

I heard "The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed" but not the White Album.   Just not up my street, I guess?

I love the Punk-ness of Earth Vs.  It was like a heavied up version of what The Clash would have sounded like if they collaborated with Motorhead - just brilliant.

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Faith No More - The Real Thing
    Ash - Meltdown
    Coldplay - Viva la Vida
    Velvet Revolver - Contraband
    Badlands - Badlands
    Filter - The sun comes out tonight
    Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
    Ugly Kid Joe - America's Least Wanted

There's more I can't be bothered to list.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Badlands - Badlands

Second time today I've disgreed with you* about old-school hard rock albums, but again, I'm surprised - I think the other two Badlands albums are as excellent as the first.

(* I'm not stalking, honest!)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Octahedron;646188" said:
    There's more I can't be bothered to list.
    "What do we want?"

"Apathy"

"When do we...."
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    Ash - Meltdown
    Coldplay - Viva la Vida
    Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

Interesting, Ash 1977 is the only album of theirs I like
    Colplay Parachutes is their best IMO
    I've not heard Dig Out Your Soul, but I like the first 3 albums (and masterplan)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom