The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

Incredible innings! Amazing Stokes!

All the whinging, negative moaners can **** off as far as I am concerned. That ... was ... unbelievable

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camf said:
    Great cricketer for sure, but there's been occasions where he's behaved like a piss-poor human being. Hopefully as he matures as a cricketer, he'll also mature into a better person.
    Careful Cam, the snowflakes will get all offended if you dare question the new messiah ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    It was a staggering individual performance by Stokes and a great game of cricket, but the guy's behaved like a real jerk in the past and as a result his team have suffered as he's made himself unselectable. Sure, he's redeeming himself on the cricket pitch but, for me, he also needs to be seen to be redeeming himself off the cricket pitch to justify being a properly respected sportsman. I feel the same about Warner and Smith too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited August 2019
    axisus said:

Incredible innings! Amazing Stokes!

All the whinging, negative moaners can **** off as far as I am concerned. That ... was ... unbelievable

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Shock horror: human beings behave like human beings - flawed.

Having to sit theough 90 minutes of the most abject cack served up by Spurs makes me appreciate the Test win a bit more. The danger is that come Old Trafford we'll be expecting miracles again. If the game was in a few days' time I'd back us to win it, the Aussies must be in bits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14246
    tFB Trader
    So I've been away from FB since Sat Noon and just got back

Had R5 on most of Sat , so knew Root an Denley were laying down a foundation

Guitar Show today but had Sky Sports on my Ipad all day

Got to the final wicket and about 70 needed and not so much turned of but started to shut down the show stand - But had effectively thought that is it - Watched again 15-20 mins later and 22 needed - So watched everyball

Remarkable

Ye of little faith included me

Nervous watching - Even when he scored his ton, you knew the Western Terrace would be going barmy - But it could all be for nothing - He would have traded in a losing ton for a winning 99 any day of the week

So wow and remarkable

Congrats to all - Mighty Mighty England

Hope this means the team will apply them selves better now - Enjoy the win - enjoy the moment - Then get back to hard work as we have not yet won the Ashes and don't let such a brilliant moment paper over team issues
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Windies, chasing 419 to beat India, are 29-6. It's a bit of an ask, but... 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    Now I can travel to Manchester and the 2 days holiday booked from work, £200 for the tickets, 354 mile round trip and 2 nights in the Premier Inn will all be worth it. If the rain keeps away it should be a cracking first day atmosphere with expectations riding high on both teams.

England need to win at least one of the next 2 tests and at least draw the other. Steve Smith will be back for Old Trafford, so odds are still in Australia's favour but today gives me hope and was something special, along with the CWC super over, they are moments of a lifetime.

crunchman said:
    It will take something special to turn it around from here.  Looking at the frailties of the batting, it will take something special from Root and Stokes for us to get enough runs.

The worrying thing is that Starc didn't play.  Given how awful we normally are against left armers, that might saved us from a bigger humiliation, although Siddle's batting was important in the first innings.

The Aussie batting is fragile if Smith fails, so it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely.  We do need to pick our best team though, which we didn't in this match.

Just like it would take something special to avoid going out at the group stage of the world cup?

A little cup half full optimism goes a long way, probably in many aspects of UK life at the moment.

You keep your sunny uplands and evidence-free optimism for the Brexit thread D

See, told you. It was never in doubt...ahem.

tFB Trader
    Now I can travel to Manchester and the 2 days holiday booked from work, £200 for the tickets, 354 mile round trip and 2 nights in the Premier Inn will all be worth it. If the rain keeps away it should be a cracking first day atmosphere with expectations riding high on both teams.

England need to win at least one of the next 2 tests and at least draw the other. Steve Smith will be back for Old Trafford, so odds are still in Australia's favour but today gives me hope and was something special, along with the CWC super over, they are moments of a lifetime.
    Enjoy

the atmosphere will be electric for that first morning - I'll be watching and/or listening
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Been offline most of the day but got to watch the last hour on a big screen.  Incredible from Stokes but they still need to make some changes for the next test.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    I don't have Sky, wouldn't have the time to watch it if I did.  I spent all day avoiding news on tv and news feeds on my phone.  I look forward to the C5 highlights at 7 o'clock.  I watched the post count here going up rapidly all day, but didn't take a look until I'd seen the result.  Thoroughly enjoyed watching that highlights programme.  Mrs ledzep knew the result, but didn't let on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    crunchman said:
    Been offline most of the day but got to watch the last hour on a big screen.  Incredible from Stokes but they still need to make some changes for the next test.
    Apparently they're going to drop Roy and make Joel Wilson a permanent top order fixture. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If Jimmy Anderson is fit do they bring him back in and if so who do they drop from the bowlers? Jofra replaced Jimmy but is taking wickets and unsettling the Aussies.

Should they rearrange the top order of batting? Jason Roy must be rested surely?

Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes aren't really doing much and Bairstow has been patchy with the gloves and bat.

Jack Leach seems to be doing OK as the spinner.

crunchman said:
    Apparently they're going to drop Roy and make Joel Wilson a permanent top order fixture. 
    That was a shocker of a call on the Ben Stokes Lbw, Tim Paine will rue using that review up. This morning's headlines would have been very different with England falling 2 runs short.

tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    That was a shocker of a call on the Ben Stokes Lbw, Tim Paine will rue using that review up. This morning's headlines would have been very different with England falling 2 runs short.
    During the game you couldn't help thinking about those 2 runs, Birmingham, 2005 and Brett Lee etc - Was it going to be Aussie revenge

Yes an umpire error, but they had 2 good chances before with the drop catch via Harris and Lyon's  'easy' run out attempt

Desperation by Paine to use that last review just before hand - He must have known as a keeper that the ball was coming from the leg side - Watch the video and you can clearly see he was moving leg side himself

Never mind - Don't feel sorry for them - AT ALL
    edited August 2019
    That Ben Stokes moment, English magic. Click the tweet for the vid

• When they needed two to win I said to the missus look at this......... my hands were shaking like mad.
      After the game I opened a bottle of 'poo and we nonchalantly drank it in the garden.
      Happy days!      ;)

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    After Bairstow was out I went off on my Sunday bike ride, on the way out I had one last look and Butler was out (ODI mentality mistake!) so I knew I'd made the right choice. Over a foot bridge nearby someone had his radio on, what's happened I asked "Woakes gone, Archer now". We commisserated.
    When I got back daughter said "Is there a cricket game on, my sports app just made an announcement".  I avoided any news till Channel 5 highlights - and then of course you're doing mental calculations - "If they are showing it at this speed, there must be a fair bit more batting to come".
    Bets when it will be "Arise Sir Ben !"
    (at least 10 years is my bet)

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    I’d swap Denley and Roy around in the order. 
    I expect Anderson will come in for Woakes. Who is either carrying a niggle or Joe Root doesn’t fancy him he’s been very underused this series. 

Though Anderson for Woakes makes the tail look much longer. The batsman will have to step up. 

that Stokes LBW is interesting. Out in this day and age. The Aussies only have themselves to blame for using the review in desperation the previous over. 

however go back 20 years before Hawkeye existed it would have been not out - it hit the front pad first deflected to the back pad and looked to the naked eye it was drifting down leg, so not surprised the umpire gave it not out. I like Tim Paine but he’s mugged himself off there! 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials