The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited September 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    Gassage said:
    I'm playing at the county ground New Road Worcester today....! Yaaaaay.
    Packed your scuba gear?
    LOL- an amazing day. Bowled Worcs Gents out for 174, knocked them off against the fire pace and bounce of Dillon Pennington (fuck me he's quick!) Gassage 51*.

An amazing day- post game a big dinner which I MC'd and did a Q and A with the lunatic rugby player pictured below (not my Mum!) and Matt Rawnsley, Dillon and Ed Barnard. If Carling did cricket matches....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 51 not out that's a decent knock mate. Looks like a cracking ground. 

Lets hope the rain holds off for the big boys :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Gassage said:
    Packed your scuba gear?
    LOL- an amazing day. Bowled Worcs Gents out for 174, knocked them off against the fire pace and bounce of Dillon Pennington (fuck me he's quick!) Gassage 51*.

An amazing day- post game a big dinner which I MC'd and did a Q and A with the lunatic rugby player pictured below (not my Mum!) and Matt Rawnsley, Dillon and Ed Barnard. If Carling did cricket matches....

Nice ground is Worcs - recall seeing Hick get a ton plus there a few years ago

Nice looking mutt as well - is that your new mate
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Here we go again.

Play... 
    Warner c Bairstow b Broad 0

Aus 1-1.

!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Gassage said:
    Packed your scuba gear?

What was the deck like? Played there a couple of times when the county would play the uni in a pre-season game. Flooded out second year... 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited September 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    Warner c Bairstow b Broad 0

Aus 1-1.

!!!!!!
    At some point during the West Indies V India test match, they put up a stat for highest opening partnerships in test cricket in 2019 and I think there were 2 scores over 100 in this calendar year, with a few more in the 80's and that was about it. 

Irrespective of the team it seems the art of opening isn't quite what it used to be, as a fan of cricket it seems more often than not to be watching test cricket with the scoreboard of a few wickets in the first few overs.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931

What was the deck like? Played there a couple of times when the county would play the uni in a pre-season game. Flooded out second year... 
    4th day pitch. It was OK

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited September 2019
    Well just got back home from Manchester, despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed being at Old Trafford yesterday, it was the first time I've been to see England play in person and I loved the whole experience. You don't get to see close up of the TV coverage but being there is just something special. I was sat near where Jack Leach fielded and had a couple of "Leachy Leachy Give Us a Wave" moments. Seeing the Warner wicket was brilliant. I'm hooked and now have to budget for tickets to see England in test matches again next year! I may have to join the Barmy Army for next year.

It's been tough going for England in this match, the first innings gloom and then euphoria of Headingley seems a long time ago, the conditions and pitch at Old Trafford are very different and we now have another Smith ton, but England are patiently getting through the others now Labuschagne has gone. We're probably looking at 350 ish first innings total, more than that and it will be tough going for England. Need to keep an eye on the weather.

Happy days.

tFB Trader
    Well just got back home from Manchester, despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed being at Old Trafford yesterday, it was the first time I've been to see England play in person and I loved the whole experience. You don't get to see close up of the TV coverage but being there is just something special. I was sat near where Jack Leach fielded and had a couple of "Leachy Leachy Give Us a Wave" moments. Seeing the Warner wicket was brilliant. I'm hooked and now have to budget for tickets to see England in test matches again next year! I may have to join the Barmy Army for next year.

It's been tough going for England in this match, the first innings gloom and then euphoria of Headingley seems a long time ago, the conditions and pitch at Old Trafford are very different and we now have another Smith ton, but England are patiently getting through the others now Labuschagne has gone. We're probably looking at 350 ish first innings total, more than that and it will be tough going for England. Need to keep an eye on the weather.

Happy days.
    Glad you still enjoyed teh day out etc  - I was thinking about you during the wet spells and of course cold/windy all day 

Yes a good experience - I had not been for years until the Headingley match, so yes it will be more of a regular event 
  • Well just got back home from Manchester, despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed being at Old Trafford yesterday, it was the first time I've been to see England play in person and I loved the whole experience. You don't get to see close up of the TV coverage but being there is just something special. I was sat near where Jack Leach fielded and had a couple of "Leachy Leachy Give Us a Wave" moments. Seeing the Warner wicket was brilliant. I'm hooked and now have to budget for tickets to see England in test matches again next year! I may have to join the Barmy Army for next year.

Happy days.
    Ashes cricket is very different to watching England play other teams, maybe aside from India & Pakistan to an extent, other teams don't seem to create as much excitement in the grounds even irrespective of how enjoyable the cricket might be in the field. 

I've been watching some of the test match today and there have been moments that have been painful.  As great as Smith is, there seems to no strategy or plan to bowl to him from Root, it's fucking passive at best waiting for the bowler to try to bowl an unplayable delivery or to make a mistake.  How rarely does Root even talk to his bowlers?  

I thought Ali Cook was a uninspired, bland, lifeless, passive test captain but Joe Root's come along and given him competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Spinner bowling a no-ball, bloody hell! 
  • Ashes cricket is very different to watching England play other teams, maybe aside from India & Pakistan to an extent, other teams don't seem to create as much excitement in the grounds even irrespective of how enjoyable the cricket might be in the field. 

I've been watching some of the test match today and there have been moments that have been painful.  As great as Smith is, there seems to no strategy or plan to bowl to him from Root, it's fucking passive at best waiting for the bowler to try to bowl an unplayable delivery or to make a mistake.  How rarely does Root even talk to his bowlers?  

I thought Ali Cook was a uninspired, bland, lifeless, passive test captain but Joe Root's come along and given him competition.

One thing to consider with Root is that he's not used to having to captain so many inexperienced bowlers in one lineup. Jimmy, Broad, Moeen, and Stokes have been the core of his bowling attack since he became captain in 2017. It's a bit harder when you have three guys out there in this Test with 12 complete Tests between them. I feel for Craig Overton, coming into this side after you've spent the last six weeks playing T20 cricket (bar one CC game) and rocking up against Steve Smith on a decent wicket is a very tough challenge. 

tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Spinner bowling a no-ball, bloody hell! 
    agree - not a hint of an excuse could be given IMO
    tFB Trader
    3.30pm - This is getting bland

New ball and nothing happening

Can see this moving towards a 400 plus innings and worried how much over 400 it will be

Not good weather Friday morning - But apart from a potential of losing 1 session tomorrow I can't see anything to stop enough time for the Aussies to bowl us out twice
    We'd better hope Ben Stokes had his superhero costume cleaned. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4672
    edited September 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    We'd better hope Ben Stokes had his superhero costume cleaned. 
    Stokes has gone off injured , probably put his back out carrying the rest of the team 
  • It's lacklustre since lunch. Mistakes and that sinking feeling under another big scoring Aussie partnership. 

Woakes gets dropped, Roy gets retained.

Nope, me neither.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    scrumhalf said:
    Woakes gets dropped, Roy gets retained.

Nope, me neither.
    Will let Roy off if he outscores Smith!