The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    What about that catch from Ben Stokes, incredible! Possibly the best catch ever seen? That ball was driving for 6 at about 10 feet from the ground.

A solid exciting performance from England to open the World Cup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    What about that catch from Ben Stokes, incredible! Possibly the best catch ever seen? That ball was driving for 6 at about 10 feet from the ground.

Didn't see it live - had radio 5 on and they raved about it - seen it since and yes it was awesome

I was a touch nervous at  311 after 50 overs - But great performance all round - Good to get the first win under the belt and build from there
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Archer is the real deal. Not many bowlers can make Amla look slow to react. A really good performance overall, especially after I feared the worst after the 2nd ball of the match. 

The catch Stokes took was one of the best I’ve ever seen. 

Imran Tahir may be one of the most annoying people in the world. His wicket celebration makes me want to throw my telly box out of the window. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22137

It's a bloody great catch, no question. It'#s up there with Matt Sinclair and James Kirtley, the latter still being my pick for best outfield catch I've seen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fVH1AtnEVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6CI142pus

And if we're going to talk mad catches, watch Trevor Barsby here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSHoDnxg_G4

For anyone interested in following the World Cup here is a link to the results table:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/world-cup/table

And here is a summary of how the group stage works:

The group stage format is a round-robin, where all ten teams play each other once, in a single group. This means a total of 45 matches will be played, with each team playing a total of nine matches. The top four teams from the group will progress to the knockout stage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Cricket_World_Cup_group_stage

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    One thing which stood out for me was how the batters reacted to the pitch. 

When England realised it wasn't a road they simply knocked it around taking whatever low risk runs they could.
    One reading of why 4 got 50's and not more was that when they tried to accelerate they couldn't. Buttler's dismissal the same.

SA didn't bat properly.
    Both teams bowled very well also the SA fielding was good. Duminy was a cracker.

Highly impressive start.

Stoke's catch? Ridiculous. I thought his pickup and throw for the run out was superb. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    The thing that got me was the blasts of music - I thought that was only on T20 - I think I'd go mad if I was in the ground.
    Such a weird idea - let's play 10 seconds of riff 'n chorus of any song that could possibly be relevant.
    At least no pom pom girls.
    Otherwise surprised how enthused I feel!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    pakistan look like they'll be strong contenders...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Amir had £1,000 on the match finishing before 2pm.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    pakistan look like they'll be strong contenders...
    Truly dismal, I think they want to go home by the looks of it.

West Indies were swinging the bat crudely like lumberjacks and still coasted home.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I love watching aggressive fast bowling. Would be a bit miffed though if I'd paid for a ticket only for the whole game to be finished in 35 overs. That six to win the match was ridiculous....tennis shot.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    edited June 2019
    I see on the BBC that Aussie coach Justin Langer is calling for people not to “Boo” Smith and Warner during the World Cup, well if the warm up game was anything to go by I don't think the England fans will be able to help themselves, not sure about the other nations.

There's sure to be few cider'd up fans at Bristol this afternoon that won't let us down!

The Bristol Post have reported that 2 men, one short and ugly with a 1970s 'tache, were seen acting suspiciously in the local B&Q yesterday and when approached ran off yelling “Fair dinkum you pommie baarrstards”

More seriously, I think Australia can be their usual pain in arse, resilient, forceful selves again and should do well.

Ref England, do you think Jofra Archer could be selected for The Ashes if he goes well during the World Cup? If so who would be dropped?

I could see him being really useful on the Aussie pitches but not sure I would want to drop Stuart Broad for him at home with the Duke ball.

I wonder how Jofra Archer feels playing for England when they face the West Indies?

I see on the BBC that Aussie coach Justin Langer is calling for people not to “Boo” Smith and Warner during the World Cup, well if the warm up game was anything to go by I don't think the England fans will be able to help themselves, not sure about the other nations.

There's sure to be few cider'd up fans at Bristol this afternoon that won't let us down!

The Bristol Post have reported that 2 men, one short and ugly with a 1970s 'tache, were seen acting suspiciously in the local B&Q yesterday and when approached ran off yelling “Fair dinkum you pommie baarrstards”

More seriously, I think Australia can be their usual pain in arse, resilient, forceful selves again and should do well.
    They deserve to get booed. They cheated, and they have to accept that people have long memories. Let’s not forget how the Australian crowds treated Broad last time, and that was entirely down to their idiot coach (Lehmann) telling them to give him grief. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Ref England, do you think Jofra Archer could be selected for The Ashes if he goes well during the World Cup? If so who would be dropped?

I could see him being really useful on the Aussie pitches but not sure I would want to drop Stuart Broad for him at home with the Duke ball.

I wonder how Jofra Archer feels playing for England when they face the West Indies?
    I don’t see why not. It will be interesting to see what happens if a test series is played at the same time as one of the global T20 leagues. Obviously he’s made his name there, and makes an awful lot of money from them, so I wouldn’t blame him if he said thanks but no thanks.

If he were to play in the Ashes, I’d probably drop the 3rd seamer for him (so Wood or Woakes). Of course, that depends on how Anderson and Broad are bowling at the time, as both are sadly coming to the end. 

I don’t think Archer playing the WI will be an issue. He could have played for them, but chose not to, so I guess that tells you a lot about where he feels home is. He might get a bit of abuse from the WI team and crowd, but seems a pretty strong character. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader

surely Archer has to be in contention - I'm sure this will be the last time we'll see Anderson + Broad in an England shirt - With the line up below and bowling options inc Curran + Stokes, then they can afford to ease Archer into the team - Flat out in 3/4/5 over spells

Team something like
    Roy
    Bairstow
    ???
    Root
    Stokes
    Butler/Foakes
    Curran
    Ali
    Broad
    Archer
    Anderson

Somehow want to get Rashid in as well - so maybe will depend on the wicket  - If 2 spinners then maybe Curran for Rashid - Not sure who should be at 3 - We have issues to open so I don't see why we don't go with Roy + Bairstow

surely Archer has to be in contention - I'm sure this will be the last time we'll see Anderson + Broad in an England shirt - With the line up below and bowling options inc Curran + Stokes, then they can afford to ease Archer into the team - Flat out in 3/4/5 over spells

Team something like
    Roy
    Bairstow
    ???
    Root
    Stokes
    Butler/Foakes
    Curran
    Ali
    Broad
    Archer
    Anderson

Somehow want to get Rashid in as well - so maybe will depend on the wicket  - If 2 spinners then maybe Curran for Rashid - Not sure who should be at 3 - We have issues to open so I don't see why we don't go with Roy + Bairstow
    There's some real strength in that lineup, the selectors are blessed with a bagful of good players at the moment.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Can you choke in the second game of a ten team round robin?
    cj73 said:
    Can you choke in the second game of a ten team round robin?
    It appears so! 
    edited June 2019
    Bangladesh didn't look overly sexy today but kept it tight to get home against the Saffies. I'm enjoying this!

England vs Pakistan tomorrow, after their woeful display against the West Indies are Pakistan all but spent? or can they come out and surprise us?