Most unlistenable album you spent good money on...

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
...the one you look at and think ' that's a tenner I'm never getting back.'

I think I'm going to nominate Magic and Loss by Lou Reed. 

One of his best selling and most acclaimed albums,apparently, I made the purchase when it was first released but I don't think I've ever managed to play all of it in one sitting, even as background. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22829
    I was going to say St Anger but it's not really totally unlistenable.

For some reason I bought a CD by a band called The Music.  It may not be that bad, I never listened to it all the way through, but I found the first couple of tracks unbearable and never played it again.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Thrak by King Crimson. Paid too much attention to the accolades in Guitarist magazine concerning the skill of the individual musicians.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Im probably going to get some flak for this, but...

Captain Beefheart : Trout Mask Replica

Now, thats not because i dont like The Captain - i like almost all of his other albums. But its his worst album by a mile and everyone raves about it. The spoken bits in between songs make it worse because he sounds like a right smart arse who thinks he is hilarious and he isnt. Put me right off him for a good few years until a mate set me straight. 

One of his best selling and most acclaimed albums,apparently, I made the purchase when it was first released but I don't think I've ever managed to play all of it in one sitting, even as background. 
    Oooh, i like that record a lot. I really dig modern Lou, even the shit ones.   
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Any of the Radiohead ones from Kid A onwards

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Arc by Neil Young. 

Fortunately I didn't buy it on its own, I bought the 3-disc Arc-Weld, and Weld is mostly good. But I pity the poor sods who paid £15 for just Arc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I bought a second hand copy No Way Out by Gaskin in the mid eighties (from Sellanby in Harrow, if anyone remembers that place?).

They sounded like a non-comedy Bad News.
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Too many to list them all... Earth 2 by Earth springs to mind...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    edited June 2015
    Col_Decker said: 

Any of the Radiohead ones
    Edited for accuracy :).

Although I didn't buy any of them new, so I don't really count them. £2 in a charity shop is hardly 'good money' ;).

mart said:
    Arc by Neil Young. 

Fortunately I didn't buy it on its own, I bought the 3-disc Arc-Weld, and Weld is mostly good. But I pity the poor sods who paid £15 for just Arc.
    Arc is brilliant if you're in the right mood for it, but even I would question spending £15 for it alone without Weld.

For me: Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane. I thought I liked the first single a bit, whatever it was called - I knew nothing about the band at the time. I bought the album - in those days before easy online pre-purchase listening I did tend to. It's probably the only album I've bought that I have been unable to even stand listening to all the way through at the first attempt - I gave up after about two thirds of the way I think. Utterly dire. At that point I also realised I didn't even like the single…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Probably 'Supercharger' by Machine Head way back in '01.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

The all-time worst album I ever bought was "The Future of War" by Atari Teenage Riot. They had one song on MTV that I liked, and it was not representative of the rest of the rest of the album.

If you don't know them, their musical genre is listed on Wikipedia as "noise".

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Samgb;664397" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Trying to song along to ' what good is cancer in April, why no good, no good at all...' has remained beyond me.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Zero Tolerance for Silence by Pat Metheny. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6112
    The Lost and Found by Gretchen Parlato.  I bought it off the back of hearing her version of 'Holding Back The Years' which was sublime, but the rest of the album is too droll to listen to. She's a one-trick pony :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Samgb;664397" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Trying to song along to ' what good is cancer in April, why no good, no good at all...' has remained beyond me.
    Yeah, thats not so good!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Bought out of curiosity since it's always in those "50 albums you must hear before you have a dump in the morning" type lists.

Not to my tastes at all I'm afraid.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Björk "Medúlla"

The (almost) all vocal one. I like the concept, but there's just some unpleasant noises on that CD.

Admittedly I've not listened to it in years, so maybe I'll revisit it and discover it's a misunderstood gem.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    A friend of mine used to be the backing "singer" in local grindcore exponents, Extreme Noise Terror. I made a couple of attempts at listening to the album he made with them. Whilst I consider that I have reasonably diverse tastes, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying listening to it!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    'Pop' by U2, and I remember being so excited buying it as a teenager but its really not very good at all :-(
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.