Most unlistenable album you spent good money on...

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    No - Fast as a shark was on 1982s Restless and Wild album .

The first two Accept albums are a bit dodgy and are for die hards only now
    Third album breaker was a lot stronger and has the awesome Princess of the Dawn on it - and marked the start of Michael Wagener engineering for them 

Restless and Wild was a turning point and the album that followed: Balls to the Wall is an album that still stands up today as a metal classic.
    Restless and Wild was the point that their then new manager Gaby Hauke (now married to guitarist Wolf Hoffman) did quite a lot of the lyric writing. She was very instrumental in helping them bridge a gap to appeal more in UK and USA.

Ahh. I remember Balls to the Wall as well. Might have a look for something like a Best Of, recreate memories of Friday nights in alone listening to Tommy Vance on Radio One. Happy days, or possibly sad, lonely angst filled teen years. :o3
    Beware of the best of album as there is one released back in 1982 that culls songs from just their first 4 albums so quality is a bit iffy.

Just buy Balls to the wall (Russian Roulette and Metal Heart are very good too) for classic UDO era.

The latest 3 albums with new singer Mark Tornillo are actually stronger albums IMO - they have had a real return to form
    Check out our Blood of The Nations, Stalingrad and the latest one: Blind Rage 

there's a cd of Balls to the Walls with a bonus live cd that has Shark and Princess,etc, on it. Might be worth a go for £4.99.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2015
    Anything by Iron Maiden .. I was a fan in the 80s but my tastes have changed .. these days I find the lyrics cringe worthy and the guitars the aural equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard. They have about four songs they recycle. The same goes for most of the NWBHM ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Samgb said:
    Skarloey said:
    Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Bought out of curiosity since it's always in those "50 albums you must hear before you have a dump in the morning" type lists.

Not to my tastes at all I'm afraid.
    *Splutters in outrage*

Maybe have a dump first then?
    Astral Weeks is awesome
    Thats what i meant
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    Death Magnetic. If it was just the songs being shitty it wouldn't be so bad. But the recording and mastering is so shonky it gives me a headache. Just try to listen to the whole thing with headphones - it'll give you a migraine. 

Also Slipknot's Iowa - as I mentioned in another thread I've never been able to listen to the whole thing.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Dont want to upset anyone but ..

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. So so boring self indulgent bullshit. The track that has the woman wailing on it is one of the most annoying things of all time
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My biggest ever disappointment was 'Battle Hymn' by Wild Turkey, for which I paid £6.50 second hand back in 1982. I was a big Jethro Tull fan and really liked Glenn Cornick's bass playing so when I found this album I had to have it.
    What a pile!

I haven't been able to even go back and try to listen to it again either. It was that traumatic!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. So so boring self indulgent bullshit. The track that has the woman wailing on it is one of the most annoying things of all time
    I'm upset. And offended.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I get that .. I was at school when that record was released and it was a Marmite album. You liked or loathed it and I had friends in both camps. We were able to listen to albums in our lunch break in the school music block and many heated discussions took place. The girls all hated it - they liked Genesis, John Martyn and ELP. And if you were into Deep Purple (the most popular band at my school) you also hated Floyd, but liked Status Quo and Jethro Tull. Oddly tribal .. like football ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9703
    edited June 2015
    Can't remember which album now, but one by Cream that sounded like three great musicians in search of a melody.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

And strangely, Lord David of Gilmour's On An Island which I know lots of people love but does absolutely nothing for me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    This one. I chose it randomly from the metal section in HMV in the late 90's and it sounds alright until the vocals come in. Absolutely did my head in after 5mins.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    HAL9000 said:

:-O

I'm upset. And offended.
    Me too. Terrible scenes
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ... And Justice For All (Metallica)

I did actually buy this one, because someone told me there was classically-influenced guitar solos on it. At the time I was listening to Yngwie. So was there anything on this album that I actually wanted to hear?

No.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Fretwired said:

I get that .. I was at school when that record was released and it was a Marmite album. You liked or loathed it and I had friends in both camps. We were able to listen to albums in our lunch break in the school music block and many heated discussions took place. The girls all hated it - they liked Genesis, John Martyn and ELP. And if you were into Deep Purple (the most popular band at my school) you also hated Floyd, but liked Status Quo and Jethro Tull. Oddly tribal .. like football ..
    I also get this to be fair. I wasnt at all keen on every single Floyd album when i first heard them. I have appreciated them much more over time
    HAL9000 said:

:x
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    By way of comparison, Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the only PF album I do like. Also Unsane were awesome
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    HAL9000 said:
    And strangely, Lord David of Gilmour's On An Island which I know lots of people love but does absolutely nothing for me.
    I actively disliked it - bland to the point of irritation. Then again I don't like the post-Waters Pink Floyd, despite thinking that Gilmour contributed some of the best bits in the proper Floyd. They needed each other - even though I do like Water's solo writing, it still lacks the musical power that Gilmour provided.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Moby Play, Horrible just horrible.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Here's another from me: Heartbreak Station by Cinderella.

Tom Keifer the main man is an okay writer and guitarist but sings (to my ears) like Marge Simpson.

I wasted good paper round dosh on that.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Inspired by this thread, I'm driving to London and back tomorrow and have put a playlist together with RHCP Stadium Arcadium and Gorillaz Demon Days. I enjoy a challenge.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom