Most unlistenable album you spent good money on...

What's Hot

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    ICBM said:
    For me: Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane. I thought I liked the first single a bit, whatever it was called - I knew nothing about the band at the time. I bought the album - in those days before easy online pre-purchase listening I did tend to. It's probably the only album I've bought that I have been unable to even stand listening to all the way through at the first attempt - I gave up after about two thirds of the way I think. Utterly dire. At that point I also realised I didn't even like the single…

That's the same story as me buying the Wheatus album, except there's probably more shame in owning a Wheatus album!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    Tin Machine - Bowie. Needless to say I didn't buy Tin Machine II....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72344
    BigMonka said:
    'Pop' by U2, and I remember being so excited buying it as a teenager but its really not very good at all :-(
    It's not my favourite U2 album, but I do like it.

My 'biggest disappointment from a band I already liked' would be Muse - Black Holes And Revelations. I bought it on the day it came out on the strength of Absolution being one of my favourite albums ever, and thinking that the single Supermassive Black Hole was obviously the throwaway track… wrong, the whole album is the same.

BigMonka said:
    That's the same story as me buying the Wheatus album, except there's probably more shame in owning a Wheatus album!
    Not sure about that :). Although I did have the album as well at one point and gave it away shortly afterwards. Teenage Dirtbag is a 'classic of its time', I suppose...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Inevitably you idiots have listed at least half a dozen albums that are brilliant, but I'll let that slide and suggest The Rapture - Echoes. A mate told me it was so great that if I bought it and didn't like it, he'd buy it off me. I hated it, gave it to the mate for the cost of a Bacon Double Cheeseburger which had infinitely more longevity, enjoyment and nourishment potential. And that's saying something for Burger King.

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Won it in a Radio phone in competition. The question was "Who was working in a clothes shop in Redcar when he was asked to join Deep Purple?". My answer was "David Coverdale, who replaced Ian Gillan".

The "prize" was this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Accept_-_Accept.jpg

I listened to side 1. Once. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Won it in a Radio phone in competition. The question was "Who was working in a clothes shop in Redcar when he was asked to join Deep Purple?". My answer was "David Coverdale, who replaced Ian Gillan".

The "prize" was this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Accept_-_Accept.jpg

I listened to side 1. Once. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.

don't know which album it was on but Fast as a Shark by Accept was great, an unlikely combination of German speed metal and a sense of humour.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @EricTheWeary If that track is on side 1 I'll listen to it again. If it's on side 2 I'll listen to it for the first time.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    It's the one that starts with a German folk song ( if I'm remembering this correctly at all!).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Zero Tolerance for Silence by Pat Metheny. 

Word.

Most of you seem to be talking about music that you don't like, which is fair enough, but this PM album is seriously unlistenable. I bought it from HMV around 1995. I was a big PM fan and a CD with just one long track in 5 parts sounded right up my street, however, I was seriously wrong! My recollection is that it is basically Pat sat with one guitar and amp making feedback noises for about 40 minutes. Critics were unkind to say the least, and this is a quote from PM himself 

"To me, it is a 2-D view of a world in which I am usually functioning in a more 3-D way. It is entirely flat music, and that was exactly what it was intended to be"

Hardly inspiring words! Anyway, the bottom line is that I took it back the same day and demanded a swap for something with music on it - which they agreed to!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Skarloey said:
    Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Bought out of curiosity since it's always in those "50 albums you must hear before you have a dump in the morning" type lists.

Not to my tastes at all I'm afraid.
    *Splutters in outrage*

Maybe have a dump first then?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I bought a Black Country Communion album, I think the self titled one.

Utter shite.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    No - Fast as a shark was on 1982s Restless and Wild album .

The first two Accept albums are a bit dodgy and are for die hards only now
    Third album breaker was a lot stronger and has the awesome Princess of the Dawn on it - and marked the start of Michael Wagener engineering for them 

Restless and Wild was a turning point and the album that followed: Balls to the Wall is an album that still stands up today as a metal classic.
    Restless and Wild was the point that their then new manager Gaby Hauke (now married to guitarist Wolf Hoffman) did quite a lot of the lyric writing. She was very instrumental in helping them bridge a gap to appeal more in UK and USA.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    I honestly can't think of any that I've had quite this reaction. Though The Killers' Sam's Town was a close one - absolutely hated it on first listen. Thankfully I then realised it was the best thing they'll ever record.

Ooh, just remembered Kings of Leon's Come Around Sundown. Massive letdown. And the Manics' Lifeblood. Oh god... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    A friend of mine used to be the backing "singer" in local grindcore exponents, Extreme Noise Terror. I made a couple of attempts at listening to the album he made with them. Whilst I consider that I have reasonably diverse tastes, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying listening to it!
    This name rings a bell - wasn't it these guys who backed the KLF at the Brit Awards when they did the thrash version of 3AM Eternal?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.

Third album breaker was a lot stronger and has the awesome Princess of the Dawn on it - and marked the start of Michael Wagener engineering for them 

Restless and Wild was a turning point and the album that followed: Balls to the Wall is an album that still stands up today as a metal classic.
    Restless and Wild was the point that their then new manager Gaby Hauke (now married to guitarist Wolf Hoffman) did quite a lot of the lyric writing. She was very instrumental in helping them bridge a gap to appeal more in UK and USA.

Ahh. I remember Balls to the Wall as well. Might have a look for something like a Best Of, recreate memories of Friday nights in alone listening to Tommy Vance on Radio One. Happy days, or possibly sad, lonely angst filled teen years. :o3
    Samgb said:
    Skarloey said:
    Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Bought out of curiosity since it's always in those "50 albums you must hear before you have a dump in the morning" type lists.

Not to my tastes at all I'm afraid.
    *Splutters in outrage*

Maybe have a dump first then?
    Astral Weeks is awesome
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Wulfhere said:
    A friend of mine used to be the backing "singer" in local grindcore exponents, Extreme Noise Terror. I made a couple of attempts at listening to the album he made with them. Whilst I consider that I have reasonably diverse tastes, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying listening to it!
    This name rings a bell - wasn't it these guys who backed the KLF at the Brit Awards when they did the thrash version of 3AM Eternal?
    Yes indeed. One of the KLF (Jimmy Cauty?) pretended to machine gun the crowd and threw a sheeps head into the audience at the end! They have been going ever since with a revolving door line-up. Only the original lead singer remains from the Brits performance.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    OK Computer. Ive even bought it twice. Second time, was from Morrisons for £1. I figured, I mustve been wrong in the 90s when I first hated it. I actually threw it out the car window.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader

Ahh. I remember Balls to the Wall as well. Might have a look for something like a Best Of, recreate memories of Friday nights in alone listening to Tommy Vance on Radio One. Happy days, or possibly sad, lonely angst filled teen years. :o3
    Beware of the best of album as there is one released back in 1982 that culls songs from just their first 4 albums so quality is a bit iffy.

Just buy Balls to the wall (Russian Roulette and Metal Heart are very good too) for classic UDO era.

The latest 3 albums with new singer Mark Tornillo are actually stronger albums IMO - they have had a real return to form
    Check out our Blood of The Nations, Stalingrad and the latest one: Blind Rage 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

St.Anger. Got about half-way through it once. Never again. And I generally like Metallica.

Nevermind, Nirvana. Got it when it was the big album, haven't listened more than once.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)